Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A Variety of Chairs

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
I'm working on my Senior Project right now and am building an entire environment, but these are some of the pieces from it I like more as of right now. The Hero Prop for the scene is going to be a jet that will come later. In fact, the next prop I'm working on is an ejection seat for the Jet, so I figure why not just get all the chairs and sitting props out of the way first while I'm at it lol

All the info is included in the pics, crits are appreciated. Thanks guys

Computer_Chair_by_jacob07777.jpg

Folding_Chair_by_jacob07777.jpg

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They look nice, but I think the triangle counts and texture sizes are very high for props of this size.

You should mirror your textures as much as possible 512x256 would be the max texture size I'd go with these guys while really trying for a 256x256.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    the normal on the back of the office chair, where a person's back would go, looks weird. I think the groove should be more gradual and not so hard right there.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    the gum is a nice touch! :)
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    They look nice, but I think the triangle counts and texture sizes are very high for props of this size.

You should mirror your textures as much as possible 512x256 would be the max texture size I'd go with these guys while really trying for a 256x256.

What is this based on?

What if he is doing it for a pre-rendered cutscene? Or a game that is all pre-rendered backgrounds? Or high-res PC settings? Or a game for the next generation of consoles with stats we don't know about?

Technical knowledge and texturing both look really good. Keep it up. There is no "set budget" when doing projects for your portfolio. Let the studio and project you are working for determine that.

(Within reason. Don't be a total tool when it comes to going overboard with unnecessary tris or texture sizes.)
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with Ott that while these are probably higher than what would end up in a final game you don't have hard limits for portfolio work.

Having said that, don't model the split wheels on the office chair like that. Nobody is ever going to see that :)

The gum is a nice touch but you went a bit overboard with it. Additionally, its going to be towards the front and edges of the chair, you've got a lot of it in the middle. The tear i nthe chair looks very odd, and I'm going to agree that the shaping on the chair seems a bit odd.

The folding chair looks a bit shallow, as well, but that might just be the perspective angle you have.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Also just remember your texile density scale. If chairs of that size are a 1k map then your Hero prop that will be a plane would have to be huge or you will have texle density issues.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I do decide to put these In-Engine I may drop the poly counts and texture sizes a bit, but for the individual Prop Sheets like these I wanted to make sure they looked nice as portfolio pieces. Even for the final full scene render I may bring a lot of the details down a bit.

If you thought I went overboard on the gum with the folding chair, I'm glad I didn't show you guys the gum on the bottom of the office chair lol. It covers so much of the bottom, it's like it's not even there anymore...
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    If your going this high, mines well go ahead and drop in the extra tri's and round out the edges of that top cussion. Jagedies are the first place you wanna add tri's. In my opinion, theres no reason to waist tris in areas that dont help sell the shiloette.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ott

The reason I mention the textures as being too high res is that jacob07777 says he's going to have a jet hero prop in there with these chairs. With the chairs having such large textures already the jet will have to have an enormous texture or jacob07777 is going to have to perform some serious UV magic on it to reach the same pixel density as the other props in the scene.

Yeah it's true for portfolio texture size and triangle counts can be fudged a bit, and yes these could be for a cut scene, or pre rendered, or "next gen", that's my bad for assuming that they will be in a engine, quickly posting comments, and not thinking as I'm headed off to sleep :poly136:

The numbers I'm throwing out there are based on my experience making props for the few games that I've worked on as a freelancer. Usually clients don't care all that much about triangle counts, but they are never generous with texture sizes.

@jacob07777

I don't think there's any doubt here that these props look great, I just think that if you were able to squeeze all that texture goodness down into some smaller maps it would make them even more appealing in a game art portfolio.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @stimpack

Lol I was thinkin the exact same thing. I saw the top of the cussion and was just like ehh maybe no one will notice, but this is polycount so of course I shoulda known haha

@Ben

I'll most likely ended up dropping the texture sizes a bit and see if I can try to get the same quality out of them that I have now. If not I can keep these props as seperate pieces like this with the larger texture files and then for the final scene lower their texture sizes so that it matches the Jet better. I definitely agree though that it would be more impressive with smaller texture sizes.