Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cars for an oldschool engine

tda
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
tda polycounter lvl 16
I played me some carmageddon 2 for the first time in years a few weeks ago and after seeing the modding community still alive i went and made a couple of cars for old times sake. The engine only supports diffuse + alpha and is pretty much 100% fullbright, so some of the materials don't read exactly how i'd like. These screencaps are all fullbright as a result.

First one weighs in at 14k tris, a remake of the main car from the series
2q9lzd0.jpg
2nr0b9i.jpg

Second one weighs in at 22k tris, meant to look like a chopshop of a '70 cadillac eldorado and a hearse, but not an actual cadillac eldorado hearse :poly121:
15gct5i.jpg
35d2oaa.jpg

The engine supports deformation and breakage of the cars in realtime, so both are made so they can be smashed down pretty far. I spent a few extra tris to add loops that break up the larger flat sections of the cars too, so they deform better ingame. There's around 1x1024 total texture res for each car (1x2048 for these screenies).

I may be making another car, depends how much time i get over the coming weeks. If i start one i'll be sure to post up some wips, as i know these 2 could have used some C+C while i was making em. Even though they're finished, im still all ears to crits!

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i loooved that game. someone needs to make a new one.

your cars totally fit into that game as well. well done!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one! Carma was cool, these look pretty good.

I find it weird that these would be for an engine which can't support specular and normal-maps yet will happily accept a couple of 14k triangle cars? What engine is that?

Specular or environment cubemaps would definitely help sell the paintjob though.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Got any in-game pics?
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Cheers fellas.

Mop - i dunno exactly what engine it runs on, i think its something the developers cooked up themselves. Considering how old it is (10 years?) I think how well it handles high polycounts is completely down to the hardware you have, i wouldn't imagine these cars would run so well on a computer straight out of the late 90's :D!
    The game does support env mapped reflections but i dunno how to tweak it, it's either 100% on or off as far as i can see. I'm gonna have a chat with some more experienced modders about the finer details if i make another car.

ZacD - sure dude, here ya go
    14mvos2.jpg
    k0rr09.jpg
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I was about to mention the poly count as well... your screenshots seem to have a lot of wasted polies across the hood of the car, particularly the hearse.

If it works in the engine, though, then so be it :P
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    yeah, i've done cars for old engines and even at 1000 tris, can run slow sometimes
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    I love thad cadillac! ^________^
    great stuf here!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh sorry, I mis-read your first post, I thought it was for a new engine inspired by Carma2, didn't realise you were actually putting these into the original game! All makes sense now :)