Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

wh40k bolter gun

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
lefix polycounter lvl 11
i wanted to start a couple small projects to prepare a portfolio. i picked a bolter gun from the wh40k universe.
Standard_Bolter.png
started with the highpoly, subd modeling is starting to work quite well. i had a couple references for this, they all were different from each other. so i kinda did my own version of it, picking the parts i liked most from all refs.

bolter4.jpg
and the low poly (1397 tris) for bakes:
bolter_lp.jpg

first bake results were kinda meh, alot has to be cleaned up, and i'm not quite sure this is the best result i can get. so tips are welcome. a quick preview of the ao bake on the lowpoly, and the ao/normal bakes.
aobaketest.jpg
bolter_lp_uv4lightingmap1k.jpg
bolter_lp_uv4normalsmap1k.jpg
theres some wierd gradiends on supposedly flat surfaces in the normal map, is this normal? or did i fuck up somehow?. i also tried to build a projection cage, but the result was horrible :(

again, any crits are welcome. i'm not in a hurry, so i don't mind having to go back a few strps to fix things if i have to. my primary goal is to get the whole workflow down, and learn everything there is to learn about these techniques.

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Those weird gradients happen when you have soft normals when you go to bake. Sometimes you can fix it by splitting edges, though that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Take a look in the normal mapping thread in technical talk for more info about it.

If you're just interested in using this as a portfolio piece, you could probably get away with using object-space normals instead of tangent space and save yourself a lot of headaches. I know for a fact that Marmoset has object-space normal support, so you could try 'em out and see if you like it.