Home General Discussion

TOPOGUN 1.0

MM
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
MM polycounter lvl 17
just wanted to let everyone here know that Topogun is officially out and available for purchase.

http://www.topogun.com/

if you already dont know what it does then be sure to check out the website.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    cool and $100 seems nice and competitive, Ive recently purchased 3D coat and love the retopo in that, I wonder how this compares?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Cool, I was wondering if it was going to make it out of beta. Good news!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    FINALLY! holy crap this seems like it has been in development for ages... $100 can't be beat at all! very competitive indeed.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I hate when stuff is tied to your hardware though, I get a new pc every 2-3 years and what if I get a laptop?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    $100 is not bad, but as artist we change our hardware often. I myself sometimes get videocards from clients to run their software, or HDD's with their data. I don't wanna loose my lic because of that. I already have to deal with that with ZB/Premire/After Effects and other apps.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet its finally out. Bummer its tied to hardware... oh well.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    my ethernet address on my home pc has changed couple times during the last 2-3 years of beta testing topogun and it didnt take long to get a replacement license right way when i change my hardware.

i expect the same support with this final release.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah was looking forward to this as I quite liked the beta, but I'm dissapointed about the hardware lock... I like being able to use my software at home and at work, and hate having to jump through hoops to reactivate them. =(

Still congrats on the release, will have to try the demo again and see if that convinces me to buy it aynways.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Bal wrote: »
    I like being able to use my software at home and at work

is that legal ?
    doesnt the studio u work at need to purchase their own license under the company name for legal issues ?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    could be a floating license MM, meaning only one copy can be used at a time. Like he couldn't be using it at home and someone else at work using the same license.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Dekard wrote: »
    could be a floating license MM, meaning only one copy can be used at a time. Like he couldn't be using it at home and someone else at work using the same license.

floating license need to be on same network. usually studios dont extend office network to an employee's home though.

anyways i do agree that a serial number based license would also be very usefull for cases like that and specially for people with multiple PCs. may be in future after this first release makes some money there will be more options to have more relaxed licencing systems.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    all this wonky protection stuff makes things more complex for normal users, and will eventualy be haxxored anyways, well if its good enough for someone to take the time,

i'll have to check and see if they have a demo for it, i tried the beta a while back and while it was neat, it was buggy as hell and no where near as good as the 3dcoat retop when i tried it.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    MM: An example are Silo and 3D-Coat style licenses tied to the individual, so you can use it at home or work. It's very convenient.
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    thanks for the heads up MM and congrats to topogun for finally making it
  • psychoticprankster
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems awfully expensive for what it does.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    didn't see this thread and created a new one in the technical discussion (where I thought it would fit naturally), my bad !

Awesome news indeed. I'll buy my copy as soon as I moved.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Wow, I thought topogun was dead seeing as it had been so long without any news.
    Like everyone else though, gotta say it's a real shame about the hardware locked licensing, should use something like the systems of 3dcoat/silo/crazybump instead.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Seems awfully expensive for what it does.

o_O 100 bucks is like what 3-4hrs of freelance? for all the time it's gonna save you its worth way more...
    as i just recently have been laughed at (have been laughed at, is that right?) because of using zbrush for retopo, i sure gonna give it a try... but that hardwarestuff bugs me quite a bit, from time to time i work at a clients office or on my way with my laptop, its really not so good that i always have to get a new key when the environment changes :/
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    This sounds really cool. I always wanted to try that out.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    This is probably a cool software, the problem is I can click all I want in viewport nothing happen, can't even move the camera, conceptual app I guess...

Anyway 100$, I'm glad I invested in 3dc at least it works...
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    will buy indeeed!
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    o_O 100 bucks is like what 3-4hrs of freelance? for all the time it's gonna save you its worth way more...
    as i just recently have been laughed at (have been laughed at, is that right?) because of using zbrush for retopo, i sure gonna give it a try... but that hardwarestuff bugs me quite a bit, from time to time i work at a clients office or on my way with my laptop, its really not so good that i always have to get a new key when the environment changes :/

It wouldn't save me any time, I've already got 3D Coat. I paid less than that for it and got way more features. In fact with it's apparent lack of quadrangulation it would be much slower for certain things.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • krysar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the 3dcoat is better choice for me...
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    It wouldn't save me any time, I've already got 3D Coat. I paid less than that for it and got way more features. In fact with it's apparent lack of quadrangulation it would be much slower for certain things.

So far all version of 3d coat i tested were far from production proven workflows, so i can't say if its better now, it has a hell lot of features no question about that. The question is are they polished as the small featureset of topogun is? it has been in production environments from the early beginnings and it is really a difference to have that working environment to having some individuals testing it here and there. I don't say it's impossible that 3d coat is now or will be production ready, i mean look at zbrush it was pretty much unusable quite a while and a production proven tool with a way smaller featureset, like mudbox was better in production for some time, but things can change. zBrush ist still strange here and there but its way better now and will grow better especially with bigger studios working with it and giving their inputs.
    But if you already have 3dcoat and your workflow is good for you, then stay with it, i just meant to say that i think Topogun is really worth its price.
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I don't know how long ago you tested it but I've been using it production for quite some time now, version 3.1 even included some updates to retopo like having separate groups of retopo objects in a layer style panel.

Edit: You can see that panel in this little video I made.
    http://vimeo.com/6293748
  • ghib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have also been using 3DC a lot more in production recently and it's excellent. I have a few gripes with regards to multiple UV-sets and the way it handles Layers across multiple objects in a scene (at the moment you can't have a unique layer structure per object) .. but.. It is a massive step up from bodypaint or deeppaint for me.

I haven't used Topogun for a long time as it's pace of development slowed down and I wasn't too happy with it's workflow; unable to edit previously drawn splines, switching back and forth between points and faces felt clunky. Maybe Cristi has resolved the tools now.

3DC has, for me, the fastest/broadest toolset for retopology with some nice symmetry functions. It even takes on the mighty NEX plugin with it's points and faces tool but falls slightly short in workflow.

Judging from the beta versions of Topogun that I used the only thing it had that 3DC does not, is the ability to do a quick toggle check of your projected hires data on the fly.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    A great product at a great price point. I'll be purchasing a copy today!
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    awesome product, i also have the fortune of having one of my works featured on the front page :D

as a user of both programs, 3dcoat is getting there and i would definately use 3dc over max/silo but topogun is still imo faster and ahead of everything else. Im glad Cristi finally got everything finalized, he deserves the cash after all this time
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    The Topogun twitter feed has news about a new online licensing model coming in the next update, which will allow you to use your license from anywhere in the world (e.g. no longer nodelocked).

http://twitter.com/topogun
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    It's cool that he listened and changed the licensing so quickly!

Somone on the silo forums raised a great point about price too... 100 bux for topogun is a much better option than almost 300 for 3dc if you were only going to use it for retopology. Those who bought before version 3 got a good deal on what is there now, but for a new customer considering either program for retopo work, topogun does look more appealing.
  • pixelmachine