Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mechanic character

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
boyluya polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys. This is my 3rd 3d game art. He's 90% finished and only needs a bit of tweaking, like dirt his clothes a bit and move vertex that affect his silhouette. I'll be putting him in a dynamic pose soon (still learning rigging). Just want to know your insights guys, thank you. Btw, he's about 10k tris in total and I used a 2048 D-N-S maps. I'll post the wires and the flats later. :)

charactersheet.jpg

Replies

• Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    NIKES!!!

No but seriously, looks great! Some crits:

-Lips look a bit on the weird side. Maybe pull them back to get rid of that "monkey" kind of look.
    -The angle of his eyebrows looks kind of off. Maybe you like it that way, though :).
    -The shoes look a bit too clean, especially since he's a mechanic. You said you were gonna add dirt so you probably noticed.
    -The pants look WAY too bumpy. What kind of material is that?
    -Lastly, the front of the shin guards looks a bit plain. Maybe address that when you add dirt.

Other than that, awesome style to this and great job! For some reason I like the skin on the arms (especially the elbow wrinkles) a ton.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Havok. The pants are somewhat a thick jogging pants made of cotton or fur material that is folded up to his knees, that may cause thick wrinkles I think. But yeah you're right, I think I'll adjust those. I'll also adjust his lips.

Don't you think I'm getting perspective distortion, especially in the front view? Also, does marmoset toolbag has support for emissive? I really want to brighten up his ipod. Thanks again dude. :)
  • Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    NO NO NO!!! If those pants are that material, don't touch 'em, they look great!

I can't really notice that much distortion, it looks fine to me.

Also I just looked up some stuff and it seems like there is no emissive in Marmoset. Sorry dude :(.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I'd second what Havok said, as well as the number of polys of the shoes.

You mentioned you want to focus on some vertex pushing to help the silhouette and I think the front of the shoes is the first place you should adjust. You always want your curves to look good :)

Lookin' good so far!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think his hips are too wide seeing how bulked up his arms are.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some wires to crit. So he's almost 11k tris in total. About 10k for the character and 1k for the wrench. I'll post the flats once I've finished dirtying him up a bit.

@ZacD: Hmmm... The hips look fine to me. He's wearing an armor so I guess that's the reason why his hips are a bit a wide. I'm not sure, maybe you're right and I'm wrong. Anyways, thanks for the input. :)

wires2.jpg
  • Savior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, the suit and armour look is awesome. The colour scheme is really appealing.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Haiasi: Thanks man, i love your concepts. They're awesome. :thumbup:

@Savior: Thanks dude, appreciate it. But there's still a little bit of work to do. :)
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had the chance to pose him up and made few tweaks. I just used transpose in zbrush cause I'm still having trouble with rigging stuffs, still a newbie. I also include the images that I'll put on my portfolio.
    I think I'll call this one done. Please let me know what you think guys, thank you! :)

14212-1251629661-artwork-1.jpg

14212-1251614454-artwork-2.jpg

14212-1251614455-artwork-3.jpg

14212-1251614713-artwork-4.gif
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure if it is his gloves or whatever, but his hands in the front view seem really small or not thick enough as opposed to the profile where they look too wide.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it is his gloves or whatever, but his hands in the front view seem really small or not thick enough as opposed to the profile where they look too wide.

Thanks man. The hands seem fine to me, maybe the perpective distortion is what causes what you're pointing out. Hmm.. I'm not really sure either, maybe you're right hehe. Anyway, thanks for dropping by. :)