Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #3 - flkk

Hi all! I don't usually post here, but I love the idea of these workshops. Here's what I'm using as a concept:

TS-BHAXE.jpg

This is what I have so far and what I'm planning:

hipolyprogress1.jpg

1STPERSON.jpg

hipolyprogress2.jpg

hipolybase.jpg

As you can probably tell I'm much less concerned with realism and authenticity than just making something that looks cool and functional. If you're really into native american history or animal bones, that's not what I'm trying to achieve here, sorry!

Obj: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1759421/NA_Hatchet.obj

Any feedback is much appreciated! Especially tips on how to model the leather straps on the handle, I see it all the time on weapons but no clue as to what the best approach would be.

Replies

• OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Haha! Reminds me of the Flintstones. Good work!
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    I like the concept and how the bone has been rendered with mudbox. There are only two glitches in the design which bother me a little, about the metal blade shape. First is the big squared end. It seems a bit too technical for an axe made by a bone. How do they got so straight squared edges? Well, I know that mudbox can completely smooth it out, but still, I guess it should be clear from the concept that's a sort of tribal axe. Second glitch in my eye is about the shape of lower part on cutting side. Your model shows a sort of S shaped silhouette, while every other reference shows an arc, or C curve. I think the S makes the contour a little elusive, while it should give the idea of firmness from first sight. Just my Idea. Keep on developing, all the add-on really make it something.