Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #3 - Havok

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Havok polycounter lvl 14
Well, didn't really notice the workshop section for a while and when I did it was too late for #2 :(. Well here is my concept. Some sort of scifi laser dildo. Looks like it would hurt:

meleeweapon1.png

Really took my time on this. Did the hand painted lighting on the tape come out well? Also the double gradient thinger will be see through and you will be able to see some wires. Will get to modeling soon enough :).

Replies

• Havok
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    High poly almost there. Probably just the 4 lock things for the energy source and the tape for the grips. Any ideas on how to approach the tape? Also, I might need your guys' help for making the glow map shiz when I get to that point. Here it is:

wkshp31.png

and the obj: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1758330/laser_sword.obj

Dunno if I did this Dropbox thing right. Do I have to share the whole folder in order for you guys to get the obj or is what I did alright?
  • EarthQuake
    If you throw the .obj into your public folder, it will automatically upload it for you, and you can right click on the file and do dropbox -> copy public link. Then just paste that link here and it should work, you dont need to worry about setting up shared folders or anything like that.
  • Havok
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Alright, thanks. I updated the link.
  • flkk
    Nice progress! I'm assuming you turn this thing on like a chainsaw by yanking on the chord in the concept? At least that's what I'm hoping because it would be badass :D

How are you going to approach modelling the tape on the grip?
  • Havok
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Wow, first reply about the actual art part of this . Thanks dude. I was told the chord thing in the concept was stupid but since you like it I will put it back :). Also, since no one gave me any advice with the tape I will probably just model it with a plane and use the shell modifier.
  • Mechadus
    pretty cool man - great job translating your concept. Are those sweet techy indentions along the body floaters, or did you model that in?
  • EarthQuake
    For the tape, modeling out planes around the shape and then using shell is a good idea. You could also try extruding the shape around a spline, but i dont know how easy that is in max.
  • Mechadus
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    For the tape, modeling out planes around the shape and then using shell is a good idea. You could also try extruding the shape around a spline, but i dont know how easy that is in max.

I totally agree with the shell'd planes, but if you want to try a spline approach, I would use a Loft object, rather than a sweep (Max's rail extrude) - a shape like that will tend to twist the extrusion path in max :( If you use Loft, you can add profile segments where it twists, and manually crank them back into position. + it gives you mapping coords(ish).
  • Havok
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Mechadus - Thanks dude. The indentations are floaters. I was gonna model them in but ended up with the geo being a bit to messy to do so. I would rather use a flat plane than loft as it seems a bit cleaner/easier to work with.

EQ - Alright, so I guess I'm going with plane + shell :).

I will show progress a little later as I just got back from District 9 and golfing and I'm about to watch Dawn of the Dead for the 5th time :s.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Cool model and design! I hate that word "floater". It reminds me of floating corpses in a lake somewhere. But that's just me.
  • Mechadus
    Cool model and design! I hate that word "floater". It reminds me of floating corpses in a lake somewhere. But that's just me.

Same - always reminds me of the aliens called 'Floaters' in the old game Xcom

-Nick
  • Havok
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks Blast. Haha, I don't really like the word that much either but what else can you really call them? :P
  • Havok
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Low almost done :). Currently at 3,026 tris and rising. I will optimize later. Should I just do the laser with two intersecting planes?

wkshp32.png

Still have to do the latches and the tape on the high poly :P.

This is gonna be a bit new for me. I haven't textured anything since the Milkshape days :s. Hopefully it won't be crap like it was back then!
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Havok
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Well that grip on the top right kinda makes it a two-handed weapon.

High poly done (I think :))

wkshp33.png

UVs next... FUCK.

I have never had a successful bake before, hopefully this comes out well :/.
  • SyncViewS
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Your sci-fi weapon has come out well. I like how you made all those float... ehm overlapped details (just to avoid hurting sensibilities ;)

There are only two details I'd revise. I don't know the overall dimensions, but the lower handle seems to be to short to fit a warrior hand, but it's just an impression of mine. Maybe it's how you saw it, but the tape on the lower handle seems to be made by rings, not by a single strap wrapped around it.

Don't be scared by the normal mapping (as I was), the model is clean and if you don't mess too much with UVs, it should turn out well. Keep up the good work.
  • Havok
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks, dude. The handle I made was supposed to be a sort of pistol grip, so it's about that size. Also, all of the tape was actually made with rings :o. Kinda took the easy way out as I just wanna get to the baking/texturing as those are currently my weakest skills. Now that you mention it, I could just delete one side of the rings and bridge them to give them a "wrap" feeling.

I used to be scared of normal mapping with all the talk about cages, padding, etc. but now I understand it all. I'm about half way through the UVs now :/.
  • leibarg
    sweet I was thinking plasma knife when i saw the concept. way to make the future .