Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

jajajajajajaja

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aesir polycounter lvl 18
jaja
castor01-1.jpg

(it's WIP. feet will become bare feet. give advices)

Replies

• seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    wires please Before critics? :D
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way the bicep runs, and flows into the elbow seems like an impossible twist.
    Try posing your arm like that and see how the shapes flow, how muscles and how the bicep is in rotation to the lower arm.

Right now it looks like your bicep is rotated unrealisticly to the lowerarm.
    Also rechecking the lenght might be something.

The eyebrows seem to curve straight in from the forehead, though they really level out before curving in.

His chest is too inflated on the top.

I would fool around with the ribcage and pelvis area to get some more shape going.
    Same would be fore the elbow area, make it curve in and out, follow the lines.
    The transition between chest and shoulder could be pushed in more,

hope that gives you some ideas :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    well, for one, your thread title is terrible. do people use jajaja for hahaha?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    maybe, in some places the j sounds like and h since the h is silent.... but i doubt it.... I think the weapon sucks, mostly because it's not interesting at all and looks poorly made... Maybe you should look at reference.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    this actually doesn't look all that bad to me... i feel it has somewhat of a stylized look. like a weird french look or something... some of your sculpt detailing isn't really doing it for me :\ mainly his shirt area looks pretty bad, i'd spend some more time making that area work better. the thin threads and puffy seam there and the awkwardly hung strap, doesn't really work for me. the necklaces are fine... the wrinkles on his face mask are a little lumpy and the forms aren't really what i'd consider good wrinkles, but it could work. the shoulders kinda abruptly bulge from his arms, his head looks blocky, but again, i think all this could work out in some way... pretty interesting sword. i definitely get like a loose weird french or japanese chartoon concept feel from this dude, where their story hardly connects and usually involves taking a not so serious topic very serious and some fucking weird shit interrupts what seemed to be a fairly normal story.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Kinda reminds me of a Fable type look, but I do agree with KP (above post)... just seems to be kind of "muddy" in some areas, detail wise.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NOT SURE IF WANT.

But seriously it isn't THAT bad. Could you provide more information on why you done this?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    thanks guys, I really needed some direction on this.

sef: ostensibly
    rens: thanks a lot man, I knew some of those things looked a bit off but I was ignoring them out of laziness. I'll tweak.
    kp: you were especially helpful. I was kinda sticking with a shirt design from my concept that really doesnt work in real life. I'm gonna rethink that. I like french art so I'm happy with the comparison.
    sage, yea, the weapon isn't done yet. I'll look to detail it. Hopefully I can turn it less sucky.
    jasonL: that final pass of polish is always hard for me. I'll give it a go.
    LOM: this was my old domwar4 entry, that I would now like to turn into a portfolio piece. When I posted where I was at before for the dom war I got no replies :( So, this is a nice improvement :)

Anyways, right now I'm thinking, scrap the shirt design, and change it to some sort of vest or armour. Possibly lose the shield on his back and the cape so I can concentrate more on clothing without them getting in the way. also pouches, sheathes for leg. Legs are pretty plain. cloth coming from under helmet? Sandals are a thought. They'd be fun to animate. Hand ornamentation. Get rid of the strap. meh. we'll see. Maybe. Design is a big weakpoint for me...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Your last image is calling you a noob.
    ("Another hotlink attempt foiled!")
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    kekekekekekekeke
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    wtf

You guys can't see the image in my last post? It's a link from my website for cryin out loud...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • torontoanimator
    im loving the sawtooth swrod :D are you going to go into more detail on it?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, definitely. Still very much in the modeling phase

also, I'm here at work, and I still can't see any hotlinking problem... wtf eh
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    The hotlinking problem is with crazyfingers' image. Nice sword.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ah, much thanks for the clarification emar. That makes more sense.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno why I'm having trouble with this model... At this rate I'll be done in 3 years..

redx.jpg

cape and shield go, sword stays. Trying to figure out some other armour-y things i can put on him so he doesn't just have a helmet. Or maybe I'll lose the helmet eventually... I'm thinking i'll make him a satchel of some sort. Gloves maybe too.

Various things need more detail but my computer commits suicide when I subdivide it... jajaja
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    come on you bastards, I wanna hear your thoughts!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Move the top of his biceps a bit down and to the center of his mass (aka 45 degrees south west) and do the same for where the biceps meets the forearm (not the elbow side, the other one). I realzie this may nto make much sense thuogh -_-

What I'm trying to say is detach the biceps from the shoulder a bit more (keep the shoulder in that heigh, lower the biceps) and make his inside (the pit) of the elbow a bit, uh better? Might also need a bit longer biceps.

Finally, I like it, but it pisses me off that he's not wearing any shoes. He looks like he lives in a world with rough terrain or something, so his feet are going to be hurting like this.

Also, can you make the knee-pads and thigh-pads a bit more defined? Like the ones in the shuolder for example.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ok you want thoughts. My thoughts were why is there a plaster over his nose makes him look silly? what material are those clothes they all look like thick vinyl or plastic - get some hard folds in there where they are needed. The detail eg the lines on the shirt and shapes on the trousers knees etc are all very subtle like your not really sure of the design or concept or maybe you just havent gotten round to that definition of forms yet.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Proportions are out of whack. Shoulders protrude weirdly, upper arm is too short, lower arm is too long, legs are too long, chest is too high, hips are too high. Brows lacks correct anatomical structure, looks like a visor going around his head instead of an extrusion out from the orbital cavity.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys!

t4pan: I "think" I might just maybe get what you're saying. I'll work on it. I'll also give him sandals for you and define the pads better.

ged: I'll try to make the cloth over his nose better defined. I was thinking their material was leather-ish, but I'll try and get some harder folds in there. I don't want to overdo it because really defined folds look weird when it's animated and they don't move.

suprore: I'm not sure I agree with you on most of it, but your thoughts did point out some things that could use adjusting.

Does anyone else agree with suprore on the proportions??
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with suprore, did a quick P.O. to illustrate.

PO.jpg

And raise the crotch/pelvis area a little, I missed that in the PO, the pants design threw me off.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The hands are still too small and the head and neck seem a bit too big still, and probably the legs are too long, the pants are weird.
  • attattattack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    attattattack polycounter lvl 8
    I'd say I agree with SupRore on the upper arm,
    the fingers appear too long except the thumb (maybe I'm wrong about the fingers)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Xaltar's paintover is an improvement, although I still think the silhouette is quite boring. You should really exaggerate the stuff like the folds and the places where cloth is pulled in (especially around that belt).

This is a fairly cool character design, at least a bit original, so i think it'd be worth exaggerating the style a bit more to get something even fresher. Right now it's all very "tubular" if you know what I mean.

Also I'm not sure why you changed his top, IMHO the original image in this thread had the best costume, it's just got more boring as the thread has progressed and you've removed stuff... :/
    What's the end goal with this guy? Does he have a backstory? Where did all his cool gear and costume go!?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    give the man some hips, he is too top heavy now, wide chest and tiny legs and no hips. also his arms appear to be a bit too short, but hard to tell from the odd pose,
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    xaltar: thanks for the paintover, I really appreciate you taking the time to do it.
    zacd: workin on it :)
    attackattack: thanks
    mop: solid points all around, I'll continue to keep it in mind. silhouettes... you're kinda right, so we'll see if I come up some interesting gear to break it up some more. I changed the shirt because in the end.. it really just wasn't working for me :/ It was kinda emo rocker-ish not particularly believable as a real shirt to me. Maybe I just needed to push it further, but I'm happy I changed it up.
    My end goal with this guy is to have a really solid character built that I'll eventually use for some fun animation examples I have in my head. That and portfolio of course...
    johnnyraptor: yea i tried to work on that, thanks!

Anywho, still pluggin away on this in my spare time. Changed the saw toothed sword into more of a dagger sized blade, and gave it a sheathe. Mainly I did it because I want to animate this guy and I fucking HATE pulling long blades from sheathes without the blade clipping or putting the arms in weird ass positions. Damn near impossible.

The backpack I gave him is gonna be scrapped. I don't like it design wise and it needs to work better as something with only one strap. Gonna build it sub-d this time and implement the mystery cylinder into it's design.

Also planning some arm guards/gauntlets.

Anyways, not polished still, but it's an improvement.

Thanks for all the help guys, all your comments definitely got my brain moving again.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    errr forgot the pic
    castor26-1.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    what is that sausage like thing around his neck line of the shirt? sword and backpack look good, shirt and pants are still a bit meh, the shapes and details are tool soft the folds at his midrif are good. keep at it.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks ged

the puffy collar is a puffy material of unknown puffiness. I'll try and define it a bit more for ya in the next iteration.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    spiderjejelaughter.jpg

The new proportions look better.

Concerning the new items, it bothers me that he has a bandolier backpack strap, but a regular double shoulder strap backpack. That is bs, and you know it; the pack and everything under it would be pulling away from his left hip.

Go one way or the other, either he has a back pack with shoulder straps that sits vertically symmetrical on his back, or he has a bandolier and the pack is rotated in line with the bandolier.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    fuck guys i feel like this whole project has been a train wreck. Looking back at this thread it's terrible how bad my proportions were. I'm generally better than this...

Regardless I've moved on and I don't hate looking at it anymore

low poly-d, baked a normal map, added a half finished rig, and a 3/4 finished texture. It stands at around 8.3k tris and has full facial animation. I'm tossing this on the backburner again for a while. I'll revisit and fix errors like those terrible looking arms... and squeaky clean feet once I've done some other work and gotten some fresh eyes.
    castorposetest2.jpg

peace!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    make his flip flops a bright green color :P
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    thanks guys!

also, thought you might want to see the first model i posted on polycount back in the day.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/aeson/soold.jpg
    The new version is a nice improvement :)