Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Jacob Norris

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
http://jacobnorris.daportfolio.com

So this is my first pass at a Portfolio. It's a simple free portfolio that I made through Deviantart and put up a collection of all the work I have done so far. I will of course be adding quite a bit to this once I finish my Senior Project and some other classes I'm currently working on. So for now though, this should be a pretty good start and preview for you guys of the work that is yet to come from future projects. Hope you like it, any and all crits are welcome. :)

Replies

• P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    really like the axe with the knife on it
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobStites polycounter lvl 8
    If you're going to use concepts that aren't yours I would credit the original artist or game, especially if it's something as well known as WAR.

Also, unless you worked on Matrix Revolutions, I wouldn't use a screenshot that has the movies title on it.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the WAR one was for a school project. We had to use an already made Game Asset and see how well we could match the style of the game.

I incuded in the description for the Matrix scene that I had only made the 2 sentinels at the top that looked different from the others. I just put them in there to show how I could also match the style of the characters and lighting. I can throw a little disclaimer onto the bottom of the image though if that would help, but I just really liked having them side by side so you can see the comparison.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    hey Jacob you have some really nice stuff on your folio, but you also have quite a few things I would remove.

First would be those two tools at the end of your environment work, there nice high polys but unless your playing on making those game spec there is no real point in showing them as there not amazing items to be shown as just high poly work.

Next I would remove everything off the Vehicles page except your steam punk car as everything else on that page is very old work (dino/mech). The cars unless optomized for in game use should be removed since although nice dont have really any texture work shown.

I would remove all the diffrent tabs and just have 2. 3D art and 2D art. For your porfolio you really want to show your best work that is tailored for the job you want. Showing old outdated/unrealted work is something you should try and avoid.

Also you should create a standared layout for all your model sheets. You have some really nice things, I really like the console and the lighthouse is very nice. Although I think you could have gotten better texel density with tilables instead of uniqued map everything.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    Autocon made some really good suggestions about what items you should remove.
    what i wanna add is, that i found it extremely odd to start off at your page with that really nice lighthouse, then i click 3d environmental box and what do i get ???
    a cardboard box !!!!! come on :D
    i would seriously consider showing your strongest work first and the cardboard box more at the end of the production line ^^
    like autocon said, you should get a straighter level of quality in the portfolio and not include things that don't show your current skill level.
    so keep on going !!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Acumen wrote: »
    a cardboard box !!!!! come on :D
    i would seriously consider showing your strongest work first and the cardboard box more at the end of the production line ^^

I disagree with this as I know of someone who's literally got a career going because of the cardboard box he did.

I'm glad you got the lighthouse on the frontpage as it is definitely your best piece so far, i'd just ditch everything else that you did in the past like the matrix, dino stuff. Stick with environments and assets. If you've done a scene, def do production screenshots of wireframe shaded and fully textured.

The site is nice, i'd suggest staying away from all the flashy stuff. Good stuff Jacob
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I took out most of my old work that I wouldn't want people seeing anymore and hopefully I'll be getting some more new work from this quarter and next quarter. I'll update when I have some more stuff to show.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    just some quick nit pickig / notes:
    - 70% grey used (looks blurry, boring, smokey)
    - vimeo blue + black background style
    - navigation is nice
    - no real domain
    - CV / resume ?
  • PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I absolutely love lighthouses and your lighthouse is so, so nice.

Nice work and I can't really comment on the website itself as it's DA generated (don't know what you can change about it), but I'd add a bit more lower poly work. Small props shouldn't require as much as 1000 triangles.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renderhjs: I'll definitely be getting my own domain later on. I'm mostly just using this for a temporary place for my pieces where people can go and see my work on an organized layout with a bit of info about me.

Pie: Glad you like the work man, I'll definitely try n get some more low poly stuff on here. Any other critiques on the work I have already too are welcome.