Home Technical Talk

photoshop brush tool... w/ size scaling

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
moose polycount sponsor
my brain is halfway between :poly127: and :poly142:

When using the pencil brush tool, with Size Scaling turned on to adjust with pen pressure - do you guys have a problem with the brush *not* going to 1 pixel when you have it > 1px? It seems that my pencil brush is always going to be 2-3 pixels tall where ever it wants. Would wager to say even sizes are 3, odd are 2, but i havent gone that in depth yet to check.

image example:

pixelbrush.jpg

I am using PSCS4, latest patches and all that nonsense. Smoothing does not fix it. This is also not just a brush display issue, the actual brush when used on a layer has the exact effect the curvy line shows. Here is a close up of the pixels in the 2px brush with the crazy "imma get bigger" scaling:

closeuppixel.jpg

Its 2px properly in the center, but for some reason it goes to 3 instead of 1! boooo. My question is... has anyone else had this happen, and how do you fix it??? :(

I has a sad.

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    it appears there aren't many fans of the Pencil tool... lol. Noobs! :poly124::poly142: Then again, i am terrible at naming threads.

Did some more testing on a few other machines & from some friends who also use CS4, they were having similar problems as well. Submitted a bug report to Adobe... so we'll see how that goes.

I was able to kind of circumvent it by using a more verticaly oriented brush shape, and by using it with direction enabled in Angle Jitter. The shape the line makes is much cooler and useful as a vertical brush w/ rotation, so horray! It definitely goes to 1px now!

ps: pencil tool on scratches and paint dings pwns your face.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, pencil rocks. same thing happens in CS3 fwiw. :(
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Bit of an old thread, but I stumbled on it after doing a search for exactly this problem. What I don't get is why nobody appears to have noticed that it also does this when using the brush tool.

Try it - choose a 5 pixel brush with just size set to pen pressure. When the brush reaches 2 pixels in diameter (well, 1.5 I guess, since it's antialiased) it just fades instead of getting smaller. Choose a 1 pixel diameter brush and it's clearly a lot sharper and narrower.

LAME! :(