Home Technical Talk

LCD Monitor Color Grey to Brown Problem

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Autocon polycounter lvl 15
So in the last two days some how my LCD monitor seemed to switch out my grey colors for brown. I can seem to figure out why this happened, how to fix it and why is it just grey.

At first I thought it was just a problem with photoshop looking werid when I imported an AO bake. Then I realized after trying things like RGB, CMYK, Greyscale that it wasnt Photoshop but my monitor itself. I was moving a greyscale image across my screens and when it was imbetween them it was clear the LCD one was turning grey brown.

I did a quick test to show how the colors are getting wacked and that regular colors seem to be fine. It just seems to be the color grey that is bugging out.

I tried reseting my monitor and changing colors around but that didnt work, plus all other colors seem to look fine except grey. Its not even a slight change in color, it is very drastic.

If anyone has ever had this problem or knows what might be causing it I would really appreciate it. Here is the pic

splith.jpg

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had this problem when I got a cheap 22" TN panel monitor (Samsung Pebble). Altering the colour temperature of the monitor and running the Adobe Gamma app helped it a little, but I ended up just selling it off to a mate and buying an S-IPS panel monitor (24" Apple Cinema HD).
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmmmm I dont know why this was posted in Pimping and Previewing. I could have sworn it was in Technical Talk when I posted. If it could be moved that would be great.

Anyway to futher add to the odditys to this problems I did a few more tests and it seems that it only adds the odd brown color to my greys in photoshop and windows viewer when on that monitor.

If I move photoshop to my second monitor greys look fine, if I move it to the first its brown. But things on Firefox, 3DS Max, and other applications on the first window show up grey fine. Even my wallpaper shows up the proper color of grey. Some how whenever I have photoshop or windows viewer open it turns things brown only in photoshop and windows viewer. The items are not actually brown because if I save them out or move them to the second monitor they look fine.

Very odd problem, will try uninstalling CS3 later today but somehow I dont think that is the problem if it is effecting Windows Viewer too.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    show a comparison shot of an image in firefox, and the same image in PS/windows picture viewer?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well the shot shown above shows windows picture viewer in the middle being split with the odd color change. I would have photoshop also but I cant get that to split across two windows. Also in that pic firefox is being split across the two windows.

In that picture the windows picture viewer is in between my two monitors. The brown colored part is on my main monitor and the grey part is on the other monitor. Fire fox is also being split across two monitors. It aslo appears that the colors on the application itself of picture viewer is fine but the image being shown is distorted.

Edited Picture for clarity
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    this is a thread on grey in photoshop but could solve your problem because it discusses deleting your monitors color profile.

http://forums.techguy.org/digital-photography-imaging/505486-photoshop-discoloration-grey-brown.html
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thanks so much fritz that totally fixed it :) odd that deleting my monitors color profile that hadnt been updated in 2 years fixed it. still glad I have my greys back
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    no prob mang. i had the same prob....drove me nuts. glad it's all taken care of.

cheers