Home Technical Talk

Modeler's block...

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
DEElekgolo interpolator
I have been constantly having extreme cases of modeler's block in between work assignments. I have gotten comments like "make a few base meshes and work from there" but they literally have either proven them-self to be uninteresting or just plain stupid. I would try to create things out of my sketch book but they would end up ridiculous or disgusting looking. But when I am making something for a team and if I have enough reference pictures, then I would be able to re-create such models with devotion. But I really want to keep myself working, at least until the summer ends. What are some good ways for someone in my situation to keep them-self busy when not assigned work?

Replies

• Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Online competitions. They're great for at the very least, short bursts of motivation. And there are a lot of them going on between the various forums. :)

Other than that, fanart. I find I really want to do fan art of a lot of things, but in threeeedeee.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    What may be some of these various forum? I only hang around here, game-artist, and game artisans.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    open up the halo art book and start modeling! :D

(oh and get beer..)
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Beer helps. Up to a certain point, then it REALLY helps. All of your stuff just looks awesome and you want to bang it.

No, but in all seriousness - Find something that really inspires you. Go back and take a look at the things that inspired you to start modeling in the first place. Draw, let your arm get loose and try and find some interesting shapes.

Read a fiction book. Maybe not super sci-fi, but something that will plant your feet and get you thinking and excited.

I've been reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy - it is AWESOME. It reminds me of Fallout3, and it sort of (in a sick way.. ) reads like fallout 3 fan fiction or something. Point is, it's awesome and highly creative. I'd love to see some people take stabs at what those characters might look like before the movie comes out and ruins it.

I think the point is to step away from your computer for a bit and find some external stimuli to inspire you. Trying and failing over and over again is just going to frustrate you in the long run so take a step back from it.

good luck!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    What may be some of these various forum? I only hang around here, game-artist, and game artisans.

Game Artisans has mini-comps fairly Regularily in the WIP 3d Section. Right now the Comicon Challenge is on, which is a larger scale Main Comp. Polycount Has the Jetmoto challenge on now in the challenges forum. I don't know if it's dead or not or what though... 3d Total has threedy challenges; currently there's a gender bender one. CG Society has some large ones sometimes. The Secret Agent challenge there is winding down, I believe. You say you visit game-artist.net, I think they have some small challenges too. They did last time I went there.

It's the "in-thing" for your forum to host challenges now and there are lots to choose from. Unearthly Challenge will be starting later this month and focuses on environments. It's also a cross forum comp like DW IV.
  • andersh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andersh polycounter lvl 10
    To keep myself busy putting out work and improving my skills I teamed up with my friend who loves writing stories. He wrote a story for us with all of these characters.

Now we're taking the characters and creating concept art for them, and then models.

The benefit of using a story as the basis for your art is that it makes all of the decisions for you on what kind of costume the character should have, what gear they carry and so on.

I'm finding its much more easy for me to be creative and steam ahead using this process. You can see one of the characters I'm doing for this project - I think the link is in my sig.

So find yourself a D&D fanatic and have them write some stories with you =)