Home General Discussion

Good (and possibly free) iPhone apps/games ?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
vahl polycounter lvl 18
Ok, so I just got my fancy iPhone from my provider (3G, not 3GS, but almost for free) and I was trying to find cool games/apps but their appstore is such a mess that if you don't know what you're looking for you won't find anything.

any advice ? I'd prefer free stuff but well if the app is really awesome I wouldn't mind if it's not free :p

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Still waiting for mine (16gb black 3GS). Ordered it yesterday so I assume I´ll get it by the end of the month. It´s sold out pretty much everywhere.

Mine will be heavily used for traveling related things (Translation, maps, tips, touristy stuff) so I´m looking for apps directly dealing with that.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Here in spain we have the new iphone 3GS for 0€. the monthly quote is 12 euro, and you must stay with the phone company 12 months i think.

All the friends i know with iphone gets their apps freely, pirated of course U.U

There aren't too many free apps for iphone i think, appstore is like the unique way to get decent apps.
  • Noia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 13
    For games, I like Pocket God and StoneLoops but they are not free, but they're only $1. StoneLoops has a lite version that's free. Tap Tap Revenge is free. I've heard good things about Aurora Feint, so you can grab the 2 free versions of that (II: Lite and Tower).

Urbanspoon (free) is cool if you eat out a lot. There's a lot of free apps, but as said the appstore is a mess to go through.

A lot of apps have a lite version which is free so you should try those out first before you buy. Sometimes the lite version is enough anyway.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    i'm pretty much addicted to geoDefense.

it's cheap, and if you like tower defense it should hold you for a while. I think it was either 1 or 3$. it's pretty too in a geometry wars style.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Renaud : that's the first game I took :p

thanks guys, I'm still looking for good apps be it for more functionalities or puzzle/arcade games, I already downloaded equilibrio, aquaspank and Edge which are pretty cool ones
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Moto X Mayhem ... :D

Deadbeef is fun and free
    Flightcontrol is cool
    TapDefense is a decent free TD
    Fieldrunners is a light and pretty TD
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Twilson : will make sure to try moto X mayhem :D

I had a go at deadbeef, tap tap revenge 2, Edge lite and equilibrio, which are really cool :)
  • Salamandaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Salamandaa polycounter lvl 17
    Try Shazam for identifying music, Pandora for listening to Pandora Radio, and iPhlix for managing your Netflix queue. Also the old standbys, AIM, Facebook and Tweetie (for Twitter).
    The only game I have is Aqua Forest, which is a neat falling sand type game.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Minigore is great. Costs $1.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    spend a little money and buy Field Runners, Rolando, and Flight Control
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anything new?

I have recently found a free multiplayer word scramble game called scramboni. It is fun... and FREE!

But I'm not really looking for games anymore. I'm look now for just useful apps. Anyone know of any good ones?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    The Weather Channel (motion map FTW!)
    Flashlight
    Dictionary
    Facebook
    Flixster (movies)
    Echofon (for Twitter)
    SHOUTcast (very good if you have wireless access)
    WootWatch
    Planets (for planetary positions/visibility and the global view)
    Dice Bag (portable die! wooo!)

I don't have any games on here... just demos for MegaMan 2 and Resident Evil:Degeneration..

Haven't paid for any apps yet.. had the phone over a year now. o.o;;