Home General Discussion

My Portfolio Has Been Hacked!!!!

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Cody polycounter lvl 15
Something has happened to my site. When you try to get to it, it says that it has been reported for badware. I went through Google's webmaster tools, and it showed me the site's it is redirecting to. I checked my source code, and it is clean. This is not good as I just applied for some jobs, and now they can't even look at my website. Help! Any ideas?

This sucks. If you feel like taking a look to see if google stops you from going to my site try it out, tell me what happens. www.codywright.com

Replies

• SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Cody,
    I got this warning message in Firefox:

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at www.codywright.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

I guess your best bet is to access it by ftp, clean all the mess and publish your site again.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    if your site's clean, you can contact google and get them to check your site again
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Sync- Ya that's what I get. How do I re-publish my site?

Marine- I will try that thx.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should contact the company you are hosting your site with and see what they can do for you. You might want get them to wipe out your account and then reset it with new a password. Then you can reupload your site and all should be well.

Good luck
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Well I gotta get some sleep, but I sent a message to Google to reconsider. Has this happened to anyone else? Leave any tips if you have them.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    How did you publish your site the first time? Haven't you got an ftp access? You can use FireFTP, a Firefox Extension working really well. You should have details about how to do it in your hosting contract. Anyway, if you are not proficient with ftps, and your standard web space directory structure (where to put your files and what's not to be touched) it's better to follow Ben Apuna's advice and contact you hosting provider for an account full reset, then you'll be able to do a fresh upload and eventually ask for a Google revision, like stated in the Warning info:

If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    No problems on my end with Opera. Chrome gives me a similar warning to the above, but allows me to continue through.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    yup, I get a warning as well using google chrome, but I get this as well opening some threads on polycount.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 3 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 3 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2009-08-03, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2009-08-02.

Malicious software includes 1 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 1 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 5 domain(s), including send29931.cn/, cverutuz.cn/, varrugilanto-2.com/.

2 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including send29931.cn/, drocuwil.cn/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS8560 (SCHLUND).

You sure the site is clean? Maybe an i-frame line sneaked in somewhere, redirecting your pages to infected domains.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    yus, what LEViATHAN posted with the iframe could be it !
    i just speak for me, but i had my oooooold site up a couple of months ago, didn't do any updates or whatnot, and then i received an email from my webspace provider that they are forced to delete the site if i don't remove the iframe.php stuff immediately, causing certain things.
    when i uploaded the site some years ago i didn't know about these kind of possible security problems so i kinda crashed out from my pink blubbery castle :o

not implying anything, but maybe you aren't on the programming side of life either and somehow put together your portfolio without further coding experience, so you might have the same iframe/random php-file problem ?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Peris wrote: »
    I get this as well opening some threads on polycount.

Are you surprised? :P

Sites working fine for me. I'm using IE.
  • dummeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dummeh polycounter lvl 18
    I had a similar thing happen a while back with my site (though it was a vulnerability that got exploited on one of my host's servers rather than my account specifically).

If you make sure the site's clean and use the WebMaster tools, Google will remove the warning after a few days.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Dude that sucks! Wish I new more about web page development so I could help.
    I don't know if its a hack or what, but I do know that Pope Adams site was Hacked for real.

Messing with someone's career is one of the most uncool things you can do.

I hope you find a solution soon.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Are you surprised? :P

Sites working fine for me. I'm using IE.

Well thats because your using IE, which doesnt have an accountability for notifying users of these types of things at least in the older versions.

(Use a real browser in other words. ;) )

I had someone once attack my site through ftp, but all they did was upload movie gigabytes of... I think it was some sort of European Tennis tournament of all things! I disabled ftp after that.

Check your .htaccess file to see if there is some additions to it that you don't recognize.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    hey guys thanks for all the quick help. you guys rule. I think google took off the warning, I don't see it anymore. Is it gone for everyone else?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was up a few hours ago when I checked, gone now. Don't worry about it too much google has twitchy filter that catches a lot of junk it shouldn't.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The same thing happened to me a while back... Twice!
    First my private forum was hacked (on one domain), then my actual site was hacked about 4 months later (second domain).
    I didn't realise until someone from Polycount PMd me letting me know. My hosting company gave me an official warning threatening to ban my account if I didn't stop hosting illegal content.
    I tried a bunch of shit to fix it, but nothing worked, so I killed off one domain and completely wiped the contents of the other.

Good luck getting this sorted, dude.
  • Mental_Hernia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked just fine for me first time, running FireFox
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Yep all good now.

Though just a note on your site, the background colour is pretty bad :/. In my experience using a gradient is also a way of making a much nicer bg (using a 1 pixel horizontal tile). Try something with a darker value. and the resume page has really weird formatting.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    This happened to me as well, actually two mines. I had got the warning so I completely deleted everything and re uploaded it. Then two weeks later they flagged me again! I think it had to do with the server my site is hosted on more than anything from my actual site, not sure though. Hope you clear it up!
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    I had no problem looking at your site. I'm using the latest version of Firefox.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I had no prob either looking using Firefox latest update