Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ford Mustang Coupe WIP

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
boyluya polycounter lvl 10
My ticket in the car party happening right now here in polycount. Also, need some insights from you guys. Still in the modeling stage.

P.S. Sorry for the bad presentation, I just threw it with maya basic shaders. I don't know how to render it nicely realtime in maya. :)

1-5.jpg

2-5.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-3.jpg

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Looking pretty good however it seems you have some smoothing issues in certain areas, mainly the doors, lower trim and fenders. Make sure you don't smooth all the way around sharp corners of the fenders etc, you'll get this funky shadow.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah that popped out to me pretty quick. The model looks good though.

Tires / wheels look a little big.
    Muffler seems a too big as well.

Keep it rollin!
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay for 3d cars!

well its looking good, nice base you got there. like the others have said, the smoothing groups are the let down. Not sure how maya works at all but with some edge loops and extra edges around corners and stuff you should be able to get rid of most of them.

As for the shape of the car, there are a few problems with the shape. I cant draw over any pics for you now, im at work, but have a look at more reference, and bring the reference into maya and compare you model to it. your off to a good start but yea to start pushing it firther, you need to make it more accurate

Other than that good work. i can go through and do a mark up with you want. once you fix as much as you can :)

Rob
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for your thoughts, appreciate it. Yeah, those shadows really annoy me, hope someone can help me out with this cause I still don't how to fix it (still a newb). :)

3Drobbo: Draw over it man, really need your insight. Thanks. :thumbup:
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i will :)

well. those 'shadows' are polies triing to smooth around a corner that is too sharp for the smoothing to cope see below :) hope this makes sence
    edgeloops.th.jpg

see adding an edge to it will stop the black 'shadow' moving across the next poly :)
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Drobbo wrote: »
    i will :)

well. those 'shadows' are polies triing to smooth around a corner that is too sharp for the smoothing to cope see below :) hope this makes sence
    edgeloops.th.jpg

see adding an edge to it will stop the black 'shadow' moving across the next poly :)

Thanks man! I gave it a try and it worked. :thumbup:
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i got the latest images from your site, hope they are the latest. if not, same stuff applies to the images above.

Its pretty self explanatory, what you need to do is MAKE SURE you model Exactly how your reference is. Check every little corner and ensure that it is as close as you can get it to the actual car. triple check everything, Also proportions are very important! When i begun my cars i check to make sure i have everything lining up and ready to go as Accurate as possible, in the end, it pays off, i make something new, and it fits perfectly in place with little to no tweeking, because i put in the extra work at the start.

So attached are some quick paint overs, they are not perfect, but these are what stands out to me the most. have a look, and see what you can make of it, any questions just ask :) sorry for the big pic

quicku.jpg
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a new development. I made a few tweaks to make it look as close as possible but I still think there are some areas where I lack the likeness of the real thing. Maybe you could help me out, thanks. :)

1-6.jpg

2-6.jpg

3-4.jpg

4-4.jpg

5-2.jpg