Home General Discussion

beating the summer heat (warning: there's balls in here)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
Hey Polycounters
Summer's heat has finally gotten to me. Today the high was 108 in portland, and I am sweating balls as I type this.
Anyway, I wanted to ask, how you guys beat the heat in such climates. How the hell do you even work in this weather and how do you guys maintain your precious computers? All I got is a little plug in fan facing my tower.:(

Ideas? Rants? Horror story's?

Replies

• ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I really lucked out, my office at work has great ventilation, and my townhouse isn't too hot, although the downstairs is 25 degrees cooler than upstairs, I just blast a fan and of course leave all windows open.
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Here in Southern Ontario, we are still waiting for summer. It is not here. It should have come a long while back. Sooo... I'm more jealous than sympathetic :p (Though that sounds a BIT too hot...)

P.s. Isn't that what Air Conditioners are for? :D
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You could come to Australia. We're freezing our collective arse off here.
  • MRico
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Dude, I'm working in masonry in 109 degree weather here in Palmdale, CA. I thought I was going to die my first day out...Gatorade has never been so delicious! Working hard to get my portfolio looking good, get my self out of the fucking heat!
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i turn on the AC and stay in the house. a cold room is definitely worth the electricity bill.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    AHAHAHAHAH awesome Adam.

I dunno ive been strippin down and just hoping for a cool breeze in my window. Im on the 9th floor and its been swealtering here in vancouver the past week. ive just gotten used to having my skin glistening in a highly seductive manner. enjoy that mantasy lads.

atleast its not as humid as montreal when I was there, jesus
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    ewwwwww. sweaty beach balls. lol.
    But than again, we all know there's nothing sexier than naked CG artists working at their compurters, eh ladies?

But seriously, how you guys cooling down your compurters. I put a thermostat in my computer case early tonight at it read 105 F! Sweet jesus, i had to move my desktop downstairs wheres it cooler. Upstairs was wayy to hot. I got no AC in the home. Just fans.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    thread warning delivers
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm serious. Throw some Goldbond on your balls and enjoy the instant ballsack AC.
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Man. Move to the UK. It's been raining here for the past 2 weeks :\ Woo summer!
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Err, I spent a summer in Hisperia CA, and grew up in the valley.. 108 meant it was a cool day. I saw on the news you Portland folks got a little warm the past week or so. You'll be fine. I just use fans and drink tons of water. I also sat in boxers while in the house.

I also had a deep freezer, and I'd freeze blocks of ice and place those in front of the fan. Stay out of direct sunlight. I'd rather be in 110 degree dry heat than 90 degree heat with stupid humidity. Another trick I did was have a long container and have ice in there and let the fan run on medium over it. Made the room really cool. And turn off the LCD's and plasma's when you can... they get the room real toasty.
  • scourgewarper
    I second that glynn and forecast for august is more! Love our british summers of late :)
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Haha suffer!

Its a good temp here in brisbane right now :).
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    DAMNIT ADAM! I looked at this at work and seriously SAW balls , I thought that title was just A joke!

Go powder your balls else where!

(next meetup we have im so gonna call you ball powder :P )
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    ROFL @ the balls - whos are those anyway?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    come to Scotland, its always sunny here
  • okkun
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    quick fix, put your feet in a bucket of water. I recommend alternating feet so you don't end up with 2 giant raisins.

It was easily upper 90's by my computer last night and I was pretty comfortable for about an hour, but then again, I love my sauna too..
  • Farfarer
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    come to Scotland, its always sunny here
    It is always sunny. It's just that in-between the sun and Scotland, there's this big thick layer of raincloud.
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I just leave all the windows and blinds closed in the day time, only open them when the temperature drops at night. That way the house will keep the colder air inside like a fridge. Works wonders for our weather type, might not be that good everywhere else.

I guess we're lucky here, we havent seen a summer in 3 years.
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Adam: You are the smartest man I know.
  • Mark Dygert
    Lamont wrote: »
    I'd rather be in 110 degree dry heat than 90 degree heat with stupid humidity.

I couldn't agree more. I spent a few summers in AZ with my grandparents. I'll take 112 in the shade as long as its dry.

Work is all AC all the time. Sometimes I have to wear a sweatshirt... so its a little too much at times.

My place gets very little direct sunlight and stays pretty cool. Last night was the first night I had the fan on when we went to bed. Ended up shutting it off.

When and if it gets really bad I'll dunk my head, keep it wet and sit in front of a fan. But it hasn't been that bad yet.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    jocose wrote: »
    Adam: You are the smartest man I know.

You tried it, didn't you? Feels like some Wizard buffed your balls for +10 to AC, doesn't it?
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    You tried it, didn't you? Feels like some Wizard buffed your balls for +10 to AC, doesn't it?
    The norms won't even know what it means. Most would think it was some ball loving pedo-wizard.
  • glib
    Ungh it's been near 30 all week here at 85% humidty, humidex says it feels like 36 and I agree.

Oh those are 86 and 96 respectively.

My irish blood prefers cold and rainy days.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    As i type this, I am buck-ass naked, sitting under a ceiling fan.

in the library.

okay that last part wasn't true.
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    As i type this, I am buck-ass naked, sitting under a ceiling fan.

in the library.

okay that last part wasn't true.

DAMMIT! way to work up a great mental image and then ruin it.

That damn gold bond trick rocks man... seriously... get a small tupperware bin, fill it up with the GB, and just create a station for your balls to work at. just every once in a while you may need to flop them around into some new powder like you would if you were battering fish in bread crumbs.
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert wrote: »
    you may need to flop them around into some new powder like you would if you were battering fish in bread crumbs.

ohhhh. Now there's a mental image.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I prefer to powder my hands up like I'm about to do the Uneven Bars for the mother fucking GOLD medal then toss the powder at my balls like I'm Emeril... *BAM*
  • Matabus
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    I'm with you on the Goldbond, yo. I douse my hands feversihly and then fondle the shit out of myself.
  • Jeremy-S
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I used to dip my boys in coleslaw. But if you get the wrong kind of recipe, you'll be hurting for a while. So I switched to chocolate pudding
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    This thread has taken a horrible turn...
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I saran wrapped my computer chair and gold bonded the whole thing. Make sure you get a little extra in between your joystick and your joyballs. That's the sweet spot.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Yesterday was the hottest recorded day on record in Vancouver. I didn't even notice. Air conditioning and a naturally cold place ftw. Sucks in winter though...
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Yeeeaaaaah. I Live in Mississippi.

It's hot as fuck here.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Huntington Beach, California and its a blistering 74 degrees.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    i live in uk, where summer has been banned for decades.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    wear thongs (flip flops not underwear) or sandals.

shave your hair off or cut it very short.

Your head and your feet both have a lot of blood circulating near the skin. Usually these two areas are covered so if you uncover them you'll feel a lot cooler. But you may get sunburn on your scalp and get mistaken for peter garrett.

hotpants and a mesh shirt might also be a good idea...
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    yeah if you shave your head, wear some sunscreen or lotion with UV protection... a friend of mine shaved his recently and went to hang out at the pool... he woke up the next day and his entire scalp was covered in second degree burns... it started to scab over, and everytime he talked or laughed, the scab would crack and ooze yellow pussy shit out... then it started to look like pangea separating from him laughing and talking so much. really gross... so yeah, don't go shaving your head... i don't recommend it...
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Yesterday, here at 48ºC, it was horrible! all birds with open beaks. The night 32ºC with a +70% of humidity. I was turning on / off the AC constantly.

Sahara winds are the worse!

The best thing is to stay closed in a room with AC and go to beach in the afternoon... CANCER is something that some fools will earn taking sun baths more than 10 min.

I don't understand why some people from the UK, and GER, come to spain to burn their backs... they must love the heat. They come white and they return pink/red hahaha.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    thanks adam for the signature..
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lol Im in the uk wearing thick socks and slippers(on my feet not my...) just to keep warm
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    There's a slipper you wear elsewhere?

I kind of like that idea. Keep the old boys warm in this freezing wet weather.
  • Ben Apuna
    Yup it's hot this year and unfortunately the sun shines directly into my apartment in the summer/fall. I've pretty much just decided to vampire it for now, sleep during the day and work at night.

As for my PC keeping it cold and quiet were the two main concerns when I put it together. An aluminum case with 2 120 mm fans, a giant passive copper heatsink on the cpu with a 120 mm fan on it just to be sure, my nvidia 9600 is also passively cooled model though I attached a 120mm fan for extra cooling power. Everything stays nice and cool, very quiet too.

My old PC is another story... I took the side panel off and have a big fan blowing on it constantly while it's in use.
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Uly's Pretty Simple, "Cool" Summer Smoothie!: You need a blender.
    (you can give or take on ingredients. pretty much comes out the same. The order is important, though)

1) 5-7 Ice Cubes:
    Put these assholes in a blender. Use Ice Crush until you hear no more chopping.

2) 1 Banana: (2 if you really liked Bananas. I guess.)
    Put this piece of shit in the blender. Blend on a low setting until you see no more big chunks.

3) 3/4 - 6/4 Cups of Yogurt:
    Pour whatever kind of yogurt you fancy in the blender. (I like Vanilla)

4) 1 Tspn. of Sugar:
    Pour this on top of the yogurt. Blend until it becomes some homogenous mix.

Don't do these all at once, though. You get some chunky mess that still tastes pretty good, but isn't as good as a smoothie.

Enjoy, fools!
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    I like caramel liquor milkshakes. So awesome.

Drink Responsibly.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Blaizer wrote: »
    The best thing is to stay closed in a room with AC and go to beach in the afternoon... CANCER is something that some fools will earn taking sun baths more than 10 min.

I don't understand why some people from the UK, and GER, come to spain to burn their backs... they must love the heat. They come white and they return pink/red hahaha.

The same thing happens with european tourists here in australia. I guess being tan is still considered a status symbol in europe.

here is a picture of a kangaroo demonstrating my favorite technique for cooling off...

solo2.jpg
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Yep, here all people seems to be in a rally to be tanned ^^, they think it's "cool". Long time ago it was very different hehehe, to have a smooth and white skin was the most important thing (more for women). People with a very tanned skin were considered as low class people, workers.

A good tan is ok, but here we can see people with excessive tan hehe, they look like mud, very very brown. Red skins are the most common thing here ^^

"healthy sun tan" is something people ignore here :D.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah it seems that in the uk the sun hardly ever shines enough to get a tan so if you see people that look tanned that means those people are rich enough to afford to go overseas for a holiday when everyone else is still an unhealthy white colour...either that or those people have been to a tanning salon haha. That said it seems like theres been enough sun this summer for most people to catch a little bit of a tan here in the uk.