Home General Discussion

Tron Legacy Trailer

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    100% all CG? Could be cool... but looked a bit cheese at points, need to see more.
  • BigHoss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my oh my! I've been waiting anxiously for this movie. Loving the new light cycles.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Interesting, but I'm with vig. Some of it was cheese. Hopefully it improves.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    i saw this last year when it was leaked....great to see it a lot clearer!! thanks lee...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    I'm disappointed they were driving off grid :(
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Cant say that I'm a fan. I'd rather watch and endure the Miley Ray Cyrus movie then to subject myself to another Tron.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good to me!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    neato, totally looks fake CG but I wonder if they are doing that as a throwback to the old hand drawn cells of the 1st one? i dunno.

I got a chance to meet and talk to one of the original tron artists a while back, some cool stories, they had like 100k frames to do in like 2-3 months, rather insane haha.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I can't imagine a good updated Light Cycle sequence being done any better. Looks very cool.

I patiently wait for that game tie in.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Wow.

How was it cheesy though?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    OMG! Watch the HD version!
    too bad it's the test/teaser from last year, I was hoping to hear what Daft Punk's take on the Tron music would be.

edit: yay, that's the Daft Punk Tron soundtrack in the background
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrew4XtbjrU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    I'm pretty excited, although they have a lot to live up to consider how much of a milestone the first film was.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The zig zag cliffs looked very 3dsmax R2 to me when he was going through.
    TronCliffs.jpg
    They look great before and after. And what would cliffs be doing in Tron anywho?

When he says "its just a game" I felt cheese. There was something off with the animation, just looked oddly keyed.

BigHeadJeff.jpg
    What is with the size of Jeff Bridges face/head in the final shot? It struck me as big the first time around, looks a little fat in this shot too. Fat head on a slim/trim rider kind of odd..

Overall, I like it, its pretty cool just a few hints of weirdness around the edges.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    See I interpreted that as purposely. They are trying to make a virtual world of inside the computer. That and to reflect somewhat Tron 1.0.

Its like the bodies are generic and the identities are downloaded into them. So it would be a virtual holo image of the identity in the helmet. Which again, makes perfect sense. (IMO)

I also interpreted the cliffs as the natural evolution of the Tron world with new technology. This isn't Tron then, this is Tron now. Also I think the cliffs are supposed to look unreal and technological.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I don't think they would put that much work into all those shots and muck something as simple as proportions. It just looked odd. Even with a good explanation its still kind of funny.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm guessing, along with oXYnary, there is some logic behind the faces or it's part of the story. It appears to be have been done consistently and in a specific way. It probably has to do with who/what they exactly they are, and the way in which in they inhabit those bodies. I hope they explain it, otherwise, yeah it's lame.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I'm way more excited for the Daft Punk soundtrack than the film itself. I only saw the original a couple of months ago, so I guess I missed out on the nostalgia factor. It was a pretty cool movie and this one should be good too, but I wonder about those over enthusiastic people in that light bike video(and tron guy). What makes them love Tron so much.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    The faces look like projections on a screen, to me. Like Kain's face in Robocop 2. The hero's face was constantly lit, but Bridges' "avatar" was cloaked/black right up until the last moment.

Looks good. Want more.
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read those big rock formations as silicon- like, maybe it's not so smooth when you look at it at that scale.

The RL motorcycle feeling suits are kinda cool, but even if they do explain it i don't like the way the faces look in there.

The animation felt really nasty- esp in the part after he crashes and he slides off the cliff, it looks hand animated with Tarzan era Disney inflection. I can't say what it is, but the hand animation feels like a throwback to 2D. It really bugs me- esp. since mocap has a more authentic Tron/rotoscope feel.

I can't believe i just said I'd prefer mocap to well done hand animation, but in this case it would work better. The suits are rendered so realistically... the cartoony movement just bugs me. Goddammit Disney, don't fuck this up!

EDIT: whoops- was this just a really good animatic? fingers crossed
  • kysterama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can't believe they went for cg characters inside the computer world. The whole allure and excitement of the first one was that real humans were put in peril. It may be hard to connect with these characters this time around. Everything else looks great! But damn...cg characters in tron? Kinda kills it for me.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Um, I think it's a little early to call it one way or the other. The guy in the tower that was sitting cross legged didn't look CG, only the guys on the bikes. Really there is far too little to go on to start jumping to such conclusions.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Principle photography begins in April, i'm guessing what we've seen so far is just test footage
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    That was pretty cool.

I think the guy in blue is an actual guy in a suit. The weird face is a projection screen for the guy in yellow as he was being controlled from the look out above.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I have some reservations will postpone judement till Ive seen it. Didnt know daft punk did the soundtrack that would rock my panties..
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    but I wonder about those over enthusiastic people in that light bike video(and tron guy). What makes them love Tron so much.

Childhood nostalgia, obviously. There was absolutely nothing like this in the eighties and it captured our imagination at least as much as Star Wars (which was unprecedented too, but not nearly as different from other scifi).

The first movie, as a movie, was pretty lame IMHO, by the way. Naive story and bad directing, but amazing visuals and some very good ideas (I love that they have no ray guns, for example).
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kysterama wrote: »
    i can't believe they went for cg characters inside the computer world. The whole allure and excitement of the first one was that real humans were put in peril.

Keep in mind that this is a year-old footage that was done as a proof of concept. It's probably cheaper to do an all CG version instead of trying to film parts of it, especially in 3D.

But the director said in a recent interview that they're shooting with 3D cameras of their own design and that some of them are capable of recording at 1000 frames per second to capture slow-motion acrobatic moves... It'd be kinda pointless for anything but the VR part, so I think they are indeed going to use live action characters. Heck, even the old Flynn was obviously there in the CG world and was filmed, too (anyone notice the virtual roast pig in his penthouse, by the way?)
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    That was pretty cool.

I think the guy in blue is an actual guy in a suit. The weird face is a projection screen for the guy in yellow as he was being controlled from the look out above.

Yellow guy's supposed to be young Jeff Bridges, probably the Clu character from the first movie. Not really possible to do without CG.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity wrote: »
    Principle photography begins in April, i'm guessing what we've seen so far is just test footage

They said they've completed filming 8 days ago, actually.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    oh look. It's tron. Wooooh.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vargatom wrote: »
    Childhood nostalgia, obviously.

I've realized another important reason for the enthusiasm...

CGI has been stuck in a box for the past 20 years, ever since Abyss and Temrinator 2. Everything we did was based on reality. Movie VFX is an obvious case but even fully animated stuff has been built on realism. As much as I like Pixar their visuals are still using soft shadows and subsurface scattering and atmospherics and such.

It was either about blockbuster effects or family comedy with furry talking animals and noone really dared to try anything else... noone really thought about anything else.

We have placed artificial limits on imagination and never really let it run free. "Getting rid of the CG look" has become a mantra we all follow, abandoning the pure fun of experimental stuff like the "Mind's eye" animations from the eighties and early nineties.

So it's refreshing and exciting to once again see a project where the artists can explore what this medium can really do. I sure hope they'll go crazy and do stuff we've never seen before.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No 90 degree turning light cycles :/ and where's my favorite character the "bit".
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah its nice to see what a pretty straight conversion of the "look" with todays tech is like rather than a "re-imagining"
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, what's with all the Tron haters? I don't know how anyone can be experiencing anything other than a massive nerd boner after watching that video.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    Wow, what's with all the Tron haters? I don't know how anyone can be experiencing anything other than a massive nerd boner after watching that video.

indeed.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I'm a big fan of Tron, by the looks of the movie it looks like it might be pretty good. I do have a bit of a problem with the light cycles though. The projection faces to me look interesting. It's carry's similar theme of the black and white faces in the first Tron. I'm not keen on Daft Punk doing the music for this though. I like Wendy Carlos' Tron soundtrack better. Hopefully her theme will be remixed or expanded upon in legacy.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Slum wrote: »

QFT! Tent pitching insanity!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    No 90 degree turning light cycles :/ and where's my favorite character the "bit".

dude, I just finished watching Tron for the eleventybillionth time, the light cycles can turn any 'ole direction they fee like once they are off of the game grid!
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    dude, I just finished watching Tron for the eleventybillionth time, the light cycles can turn any 'ole direction they fee like once they are off of the game grid!

Thats very true!
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vargatom wrote: »
    Yellow guy's supposed to be young Jeff Bridges, probably the Clu character from the first movie. Not really possible to do without CG.

No I'm sure it's all CG (except for maybe Jeff bridges in the lookout). I meant the viewer is supposed to assume the guy in the blue is a real flesh and blood dude under the suit while the yellow is being controlled remotely.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    When I go see this movie, I'm bringing a tube of KY.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obligatory Tron Dude:
    from-the-internet.jpg
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    BigHeadJeff.jpg
    What is with the size of Jeff Bridges face/head in the final shot? It struck me as big the first time around, looks a little fat in this shot too. Fat head on a slim/trim rider kind of odd..

Overall, I like it, its pretty cool just a few hints of weirdness around the edges.
    Whoever modeled the Jeff Bridges character screwed up the length of the neck pretty bad - he looks like a giraffe. :(

That being said, I really hope the movie doesn't suck.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I stand corrected, though it's been quite some time since I've seen Tron :p

Guess I'll have to pick up a DVD and give it a whirl before this reincarnation makes it's way to the theater.
  • HausFly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HausFly polycounter lvl 17
    I've never seen the original Tron, but I'm interested in the sequel after watching this trailer. Love the bikes, sound design, minimalist style, and that digital face projection thing in the helmets.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Looking at frames from the high def quicktime movie - any of those look like they could have been painted by Syd Mead - with the result that I'm hosting a semi for this movie...
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    No I'm sure it's all CG (except for maybe Jeff bridges in the lookout). I meant the viewer is supposed to assume the guy in the blue is a real flesh and blood dude under the suit while the yellow is being controlled remotely.
    No, they're both programs. The green dude is Clu, the blue one is just a random 'gaming warrior.' The guy in white is Flynn, trapped in the computer. Clu is one of his old programs, and is apparently running a 'kill other programs' routine. Flynn is the only User in the computer.

Frank the Avenger
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, Frank is on the money here. I thought that was all pretty clear to people who have actually seen the original movie.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still not sure I buy the whole body being disproportional different from the face, that's not really explained all that well, yet!

Slum you gotta cut people some slack the original is older than some of the posters here... 27 years is a long time to keep details fresh.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Body and face proportions? Use your imagination to fill in the gaps. It doesn't bother me. I think its intentional.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    What really bothers me is the whole "Flynn Lives" phrase being tossed around all over the place. Of course Flynn lives! He never died! WTF