Home Technical Talk

ASUS CG-series desktop

Looking into buying a new comp for the first time in a looong time, and not being very confident in putting parts together, I walked into BestBuy today and found this thing: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=42E422E67939182AEDE27A6BE43B0460.bbolsp-app05-15?skuId=9366642&type=product&id=1218092150864

From what I gather it doesn't seem too bad at all, graphics card seems to perform well, lots or RAM, i7 quad core etc, but I'd love some spontaneous input from y'all.

The lack of HDMI output, is that on the graphics card? How big a deal is this?

Replies

• JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Looks like a pretty solid system to me, and dirt cheap too! i couldnt care less about HDMI for pc usage personally. Its got DVI, thats fine, good gfx card, lots of memory and disk space, and a solid cpu = lots of zbrush fun.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    well the GFX card should come with a DVI to HDMI converter plug so really it does anyway. But its still not needed.

As for the system that's really close (it has 9 gigs of ram i was only going to do 6) to what i was planning on building. At current a self build of that same spec would cost about $1000 so id say that's a pretty good deal.
  • rasmus
    Thanks guys, that's what I figure - just instinctively cautious about buying something off the shelf like that at BestBuy, where the selection is kinda crap (especially here in Hawaii), but this one doesn't seem too bad, then. Apparently not too bloated with pre-installed crap, either, and it scored a 5.9 on that Vista performance test across the board, if that actually means anything. Now if only UPS or something will send it to Japan for me they could have themselves a deal :)