Home Technical Talk

Photoshop PSD to TGA file

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
Does anyone know how to get rid of the damn copy text when you save a PSD as a TGA file? I sometimes wont get the copy text in the name but the majority of the time it always will say copy when saving. Anyone figured out how to get rid of this?

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    oh yeah, this was bugging me, what you have to do is highlight the text with your mouse, click and drag over it and then press delete.

... *giggles* (i don't know)
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're doing a lot of this, vtools will likely make your life much better.

http://home.insightbb.com/~jamestaylor/
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i couldn't find anything in the help files... though it was just a glance, nothing showed in a few searches. there is an "as a copy" option in the save prompt, but it grays out when changing your format to tga. from what i can tell it's caused by the layer info, because when i flatten all my layers into one, and then save, it won't force the copy naming "feature".

so a quick and dirty fix, flatten, save as, undo flatten.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    edit: hmm vtools seems to work on CS4... I remember trying it a while back and it didnt work :o
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    per Harle the CS3 one works with CS4, the CS2 one doesn't.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    It's always worked in CS4 (the CS3 version anyway) - I've not changed the publicly available version in a long time.

I might do some work on a new version for Public release that's CS4 specific soon though. Lots of new ideas and things to try to make it easier and more powerful to use. I'll also be changing the name to something else. :)
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    if you save the tga in a different folder it won't say copy.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN wrote: »
    It's always worked in CS4 (the CS3 version anyway) - I've not changed the publicly available version in a long time.

I might do some work on a new version for Public release that's CS4 specific soon though. Lots of new ideas and things to try to make it easier and more powerful to use. I'll also be changing the name to something else. :)

The ability to output any format that the local photoshop install can (including third-party ones like .dds) would be excellent!
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe there is some script (and I could make a shortkey) that allows to save PSD to TGA (with the same name) by one click (F1 or sthg)?
    I had such script 2-3 years ago but I've lost it :( It was very very useful.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    As of CS4 it no longer adds "copy" to the filename when you do a Save As. Whatever moron thought up that "feature" deserves to be reamed with a flagpole.

On pre-CS4 versions I would just do what KP did and temporarily flatten before saving out TGA.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    The copy text is there because your PSD can't be saved as a single layer image (TGA). This happens with any format that does not support layers.

On a side note, I used to maintain PSD's and TGA's, but working w/ UE3 I simply import my PSD's directly w/ Defer Compression checked. No idea what engine you're using, but skipping a step / extra files is a win in my book.

-Tyler
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Gerbeiter wrote: »
    Maybe there is some script (and I could make a shortkey) that allows to save PSD to TGA (with the same name) by one click (F1 or sthg)?
    I had such script 2-3 years ago but I've lost it :( It was very very useful.

Read the whole thread man, that's what V-Tools contains. :)
    glib wrote: »
    The ability to output any format that the local photoshop install can (including third-party ones like .dds) would be excellent!

Not really possible, since each file type contains it's own unique settings that you'd have to allow the user to tweak. I had considered allowing it to also do JPEG and PNG (Making the three most commonly saved non psd formats I'm guessing), but I've not looked into how to do it yet. .dds iwill never be supported directly - however there's nothing stopping you running a TGA saved by the script through a command line cruncher that converts them to .dds - the script allows you to do that.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    @ game dev. pre cs2 you could save any psd file to any format without adobe forcing you to do a save copy if you had multiple layers. They changed that with CS2 and it appears they fixed it in CS4. Of course CS4 appears to be slower than CS2. Nice. If you don't want to install vtools you can always make an action to automate this.
  • ChrisCox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CS4 should be the same speed or faster than CS2. If it's not, check your system - there have been a lot of problems with drivers and some turd (sic) party utilities.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris: I understand that from your perspective, people should just install other drivers if these don't work well, but are you actively working on making Photoshop more compatible? It seems to be a bit of a diva when it comes to drivers. Now this may be as much the fault of the drivers as the software, but from the customer's perspective Photoshop is about the only one to be so fickle.
    Also, since we have your attention here, my swatches menu doesn't remember its size when I've got it docked. It always grows to three times it's size (which is three times the size it needs to display the default swatches) upon relaunch, even if I save the workspace and recall that. I've got it all undocked now, as a workaround, but I just that I'd let you know
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Weird, I have never, ever had any driver problems with Photoshop.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I didn't realise I did, untill Chris said that cs4 really wasn't designed to run frustratingly slow. So I'm assuming he knows what he's talking about, and a driver-change could 'fix'it.