Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TF2 Map - CTF Guttersnipe

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
I've been working on a TF2 Map since getting laid off from my last job.

The map is a very small and simple CTF layout, similar to 2Forts in style. The layout began as an "I" shape with side paths down the center, and a night time theme. I gradually added more locations for use with specific classes. So far I've only play tested with Mimic Bots, and 4 total human players.

The map is still in beta, as I wait for more play testing to be planned this weekend. I still need to add detail props, and finish the 3Dskybox area. Much of the level is textured and somewhat optimized.

An earlier build of the map is already on rotation on the Polycount Server, until mister Admin updates it. :D

There are a few custom meshes so far. The vertical bars and tunnel hatches at the end of the sewers. The fish are also custom made, and move with Valve's "func_fish_pool" entity. But I will likely replace them before final build.

Progress can be followed and downloaded here:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=8044

Video here:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnet5TrMOkM[/ame]

scrnshot00.jpg
scrnshot01.jpg
scrnshot02.jpg
scrnshot03.jpg
scrnshot04.jpg

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    You and Vig should team up to make the ultimate map :D

Looking great so far, GX!
  • Alec3d
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    looks good man, love the little sewer drop
  • ArcticNova83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL, you named it after a Bill O'Reilly-ism!

Looking really nice so far.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the mood here Elysium,you have pulled this off really well. My only suggestion or a question,can you try and make the tunnel entrances a bit more round and may be avoid that cut look. I am not sure whether it was intentional,but in my knowledge of the TF2 maps,i believe they are pretty semi round in shape.
    Great work again!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks fun! I'll give it a spin at lunch.

Quick crits based on screenshots:
    - The rounded sewer parts might be better done as custom props instead of brushes. Or break it up into several smaller func_detail brushes. That way they don't effect vis and they won't effect each other.
    - Careful with the custom content, 8mb is pretty good. There is a lot to be said for quick downloads from the server.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Nice work man! Looks like a good time! Sorry about the j-o-b :( Hope something turns up for you soon.
  • jmchristopher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmchristopher polycounter lvl 11
    looks great. I would like to help play test this.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    LOL, you named it after a Bill O'Reilly-ism!

Looking really nice so far.

Guttersnipe? Was a word long before O'Reilly

This looks great. We should have a pc playtest night.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Agreed

Also make sure to camp the TF2maps.net events page and get it up ASAP. Also make sure it gets recorded, this is so valuable. The demo playback in source is pretty awesome, it plays the game again in engine and you can spectate.

Playing with other people is great, but being able to spectate it all later is VERY helpful. People will call things out, in the demo playback you can watch what they where doing. Something that's hard to do in real time.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the words and advice, folks.

As I mentioned, there is an earlier build on the PC server rotation already. I'll try to bribe bearkub with more snacks to update it. I'd like a play test soon.

Vig: Yeah, I've been lurking and posting there. I forgot they also test on Wednesday. Missed the boat. I'll try to get it on for the Sunday test. Watching the demo will be very helpful. So far I've done my best to prevent certain class exploits.

Guttersnipe is a play on words. "Gutter" because of the water filled trench in the center of the map. And "snipe" for the Sniper positions on opposing ends. It also means a lowly person.

I'm not satisfied with the tunnels. They're on my to do list. They were the last addition to the layout, to prevent spawn camping. Prior to making them, I had never made arches in Hammer. Now I have a better idea of what I can make. I will keep them as func_detail brushes, but make them rounder, wider, and fix the corners, much like the ones in 2forts.

I would like to post one more beta version later before making a final compile. Many of the fences and trim around the level will be tweaked to appear less repetitive before then. But fo now I wait for play testing.