Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1940's jeep

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
wester polycounter lvl 13
So for my senior project, i've decided to change from characters to props/environments.

I've changed my project to a 1940's excavation site of an alien like ruin.

I'm going to try and get some of this stuff done for GDC Austin, so please give me as much feedback as you can. I really want to have good stuff. I'm going to try to get the jeep done and some small props for GDC.

Here's a quick thumbnail of how i think I want the layout to be. I'm going to make it take place inside of a temple/cave type environment in the desert.

excavationthumb1.jpg

and here's the start of my hipoly on the jeep.

jeep2.jpg

jeep1.jpg

Replies

• HB_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HB_
    The Idea sounds interesting 1940's tech in front of ancient alien ruins.
    If you want my opinion: I'd blockout the scene first to get an idea. At the moment it looks a bit random. ;) keep it coming
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    interesting. the jeep looks good so far. reminds me of hellboy
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good idea HB. I'll do that now.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Been said before... quality over quantity.

If you want to have some things to show before GDC you'll probably want to focus on a prop or two for now. It's good to have small milestones like having things ready for GDC though, keeps the production going.

I'd try for a sub scene... Maybe do just the jeep, a few barrels of fuel, and get the desert ground done. Maybe some crates. With just a few assets done you'll have enough for a mini scene. Make it look really good. This'll have you pumped for finishing the whole thing. Staying motivated is the most important thing you can do right now. And to stay motivated you're going to want to see results fast.

This way you're working towards the grand scale of the full scene, without being overwhelmed by the big picture right now. You'll also see how just a few of the assets are fitting together and start getting a style and color scheme going which you can easily apply to the future assets.

With a project like this you don't want to get too set in stone with concepts. You're going to run into technical difficulties, or come up with some kind of new idea as you work on this thing that's going to change your asset list. This is a good thing. Think about the project as you work on it, think about assets that would look cool with the assets you're currently working on. "Hey there's a big texture seam here, what asset could i put to cover this up easily?", or "Hey these don't blend into the ground well, what kind of flora or assets could i make to blend these assets into the ground?"
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i agree. I hadnt planned on finishing the whole scene for GDC, just like you said...a mini scene.

The scene as a whole is for my senior project. But for my mini scene i'll probably do exactly what you said, the jeep, some crates, maybe a small alien monument. I might present it like a mini diorama too. That could look really cool.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update here. Just some progress on the jeep. I'm finding little bits of time here and there to do this.

jeep.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    jeep looks really good so far
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, if anyone has any reference of underneath a jeep...pleeease please pass it on to me. I can't find the underpart of a jeep for the life of me.
  • Alternus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW

I'm amazed by the detail, great model!
  • Rokkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    google search Jeep Undercarriage
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    jeep is looking very nice.

out of interest, since you've finished modelling that wheel (it looks like), why not instance it around to replace those other blockout wheels?
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah chad...all i get are new jeep undercarriages...i need an old 1940's styled jeep undercarriage.

MoP- the wheel isnt completely done yet. I still hve to add the detail to the actual tire itself, and there is still alittle piece on the hubcap area that connects it to the jeep itself i have to add.

thanks for the love :D
    i'm going to try and widdle away at it today alittle bit if i can find the time.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Wes, good progress that Jeep's lookin sweet. The water can in the back looks like it has two handles, not sure what reference you're using. The bevels look a little too deep and clean cut. All the water canisters i've seen when I was in the military all looked like this, with the exception of the colors, they were all tan and olive drab and i'm pretty sure that it's been used since WWII.

mili4.jpg

Keep it up bro
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some of the reference I'm using for the jeep....more so the canister on the back. they both have 3 handles actually....for whatever reason. I have a couple more that have two handles.

I just thought it'd look more visually interesting to go with the two handled container. As far as the "x" goes...yeah it was a pain. I found like 3 different x designs on 3 different containers....so i just went with the easiest one, which ended up being pretty difficult.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/1940%20jeep/hmvf/jeep001.jpg

http://www.dragon-models.com/catalog/figure_pics/71410/71410p1.jpg
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    This will be a cool project Wesley. Good idea, will be fun to fill the area with a variety of different props.

nice combination of cloth, hard surface and organic shapes. anxious to see it
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the finished hipoly tires. I really like how they came out..it was surprisingly easy to simulate how they really looked in 3d. I know it's a small and simple update...but i'm just really excited that the tire actually came out hah.

I'm now working on the front bumper, and still looking for images of the under sides of these things. If I can't find a good picture, i take to the field and try and find a museum with a jeep like this. I live in San Diego so i hope that wouldn't be too hard.

tire.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on my jeep. Still putting on the tid bits, it's about 85% done.

I reeeally need undercarriage reference. I have none! I can't find a jeep like that anywhere in San Diego, so if you have any reference please help. I'm on hold until i can find some.

jeep-1.jpg

and here's a concept of how i want the alien icon in the boxes to look. Just a quick concept i did at work.

Miniscene.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    let's see the front of the jeep
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great Wes! Go go go!
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Lookn nice man. keep goin!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice Wesley! Have you considered making the artifact a bit more of a substantial centerpiece of your scene? As of right now I'm not sure it will get enough attention, as it is stowed away in a little box.

The concept drawing is very nice, and is well executed (as always!) but I would like to suggest having your cool alien artifact being a bit more prominent in the scene over all.

Jeep looks awesome! Hard surface FTW :)
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a concept of the icon in the crate. I'm going to try to knock that out while i'm looking for reference to hte bottom side of my jeep.

icon.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff :)

I think rendering your jeep with somethink other than just a skylight would make it present much better - take a look for X-Convict (Artem Volchik)'s rendering tutorial, he shows how to get a really nice setup without spending ages on it. I bet it will make your jeep look 200% as good! :)
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you know where i can find it?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you are my savior p442!

ok, i'm going to try to find some time to knockout some of hte bottom half tonight after work.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    May be worth bookmarking this site:
    Google

;)

(Not trying to be a smartass, just saying that most of the images P442 posted come up on the first page of googling for "1940 jeep chassis" ... are you telling me you didn't try that?)
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha. i think i put in "chassey" which is obviously a misspell on my part.

spell fail

i googled 1940 jeep under carriage, under, flipped over....all kinds of stuff.

also, www.bing.com is better than google ;)
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeeprender1.jpg

jeeprender2.jpg

Here's a not so quick render of the jeep using X-Convict (Artem Volchik)'s tutorial. Due to an excess of homework, i'm not going to get to the chassis until this weekend.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester wrote: »
    haha. i think i put in "chassey" which is obviously a misspell on my part.

spell fail

i googled 1940 jeep under carriage, under, flipped over....all kinds of stuff.

also, www.bing.com is better than google ;)

Holy crap you're right dude, i just gave Bing a shot and found some textures i couldn't find on flickr, google, or cgtextures instantly. Thanks for the heads up.

Good luck with the chassis, though i'm a little curious why you're focusing on that element considering you probably wont see the undercarriage. One of the jeeps going to be flipped over?
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope, i'm doing it cause the guy who did all of the cars for gears of war did it :D

It's more of a proving to myself i can do it. At this point i feel like my portfolio should do nothing but showoff. I'll worry about practicality when i get a job haha
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Looking great Wes.

If you are going to go the Kevin Johnstone route of modeling the chassey you should model the engines too ;)
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont have the time to do an entire engine.

i wish i did though. that'd be rad. but i can't compete with a master.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just going to make this thread the main thread for the whole mini scene instead of just the jeep.

Here's the icon that's going to be in one of the open crates.

2048x2048 I'll make it smaller when i'm done texturing.
    1158 tris.

It's supposed to be a small idol from the alien race that inhabited this temple. I made it in away that would imply the design of the alien race themselves, I hope it worked hah.

Icon1.jpg
  • Rokkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Looking great Wes.

If you are going to go the Kevin Johnstone route of modeling the chassey you should model the engines too ;)

That's what I said!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dig it. Very clean bake you got there, and just the right amount of hand painted quality I'd say. Lookin forward to the textured version.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great so far. I'm interested to see how the scene turns out.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a pretty busy couple of weeks. So no big updates yet. I'm currently building the low poly mesh around the hipoly jeep. I just have my weekends to work on it so it's taking awhile.

I'm hopin to have the jeep lowpoly modeled and unwrapped this weekend. that's the plan anyways.
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    That seems preposterous to start at 2048X2048 on such a small prop. When I first saw that res I figured it'd be monstrous. Scaling to a 512 or so would end up killing a lot of the details you worked in.

I like the idea with this scene though, and so far everything has been well conceived.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like that you decided to go the extra mile and actually model the chassis to go with the jeep despite it not being visible.
  • dv8ix
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exevalon- due to time restraints, i'm going to have to just model the axel (sp?) under the jeep to kind of imply that there is more going on.

I reeeeally wanted to do the whole chassis. But i'll have to save that for another project i guess.

cycloverid- Ok, before i start texturing it i'll knock it down to 1024. Since it might end up being a 512...or 1024 for presentations sake.

Thanks everyone for the comments. You're really helping me pull through this thing.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some of the lowpoly. It's not optimized yet, so it looks alittle messy at places. I still have to get rid of some of the edgeloops and what not.

right now im at 15k tris.

jeep1-1.jpg

jeep3.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hum, you're lowpoly is a little strange. You're modeling a lot of details and using a lot of poly's to smooth things, were you could just use the normalmap to handle things.
    There's also no need to model every detail attached to the body as one piece, floating can work just as well and won't mess up you geometry and polyflow so horribly.
    Also, you seem to be planning to put everything on one smoothing group, that is absolutely not the best thing to do for mechanical normalmapped geometry, as this article explains: http://www.svartberg.com/tutorials/article_normalmaps/normalmaps.html
  • CastratedWeasel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CastratedWeasel polycounter lvl 10
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Not bad Wes. Any special reason why you changed you senior project. I thought those characters you were working on were super badass.

That aside I do like the new idea. Almost wish you would've started on this first instead. But as long as your comfortable doing so than so be it.

Can't wait to see it finished. You'll be having quite the diverse portfolio when your done. Keep up the good work.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the lowpoly bake. There are some normal issues here and there that i'll fix. But here's some progress so far.

Now that I have more time, i'll hopefully have more updates.

jeeplowpoly1.jpg

jeeplowpoly2.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8