Home Technical Talk

Mouse buttons 4 and 5 in Maya?

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
Hey folks. So today I was sitting here wondering why the hell I have a 5-button mouse if Maya will only recognise 3 of them.

Same applies to Max really, but I'm wondering about Maya specifically right now since I use it at work.

In Silo I can assign Mouse4 and Mouse5 (forward and back buttons) to any command I like. I wanted to do the same in Maya but can't find a way without having to install a separate application to bind the buttons to a specific key combo which I can then assign using Maya's default hotkey editor.

The "mouse" MEL command doesn't give anything useful, nor do any of the device MEL commands (they return the Wacom info ok, but nothing on any other attached devices).

Just wondering if anyone has ever got their 4th and 5th mouse buttons bound to anything in Maya without installing any separate software?

Replies

• Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I was first learning Maya, it was on a Mac. The Mac has a five button mouse, and the two side buttons were set up to do something, so we disabled them...

Now that I think back, it might have been the two extra buttons on the mouse may have done the same thing as the left and right mouse buttons?
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    well technically I installed other software (logitech drivers) and simply bind keys to the other buttons... any reason you dont want to do that?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like the Logitech drivers ;)
    It looks like it's the only real solution though, I guess I'll have to do that.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    I don't like the Logitech drivers ;)
    It looks like it's the only real solution though, I guess I'll have to do that.

I had to install them in Vista as there was no way to turn off the left/right scroll feature of my mouse's middle mouse button by default...it had the annoying habit of nudging anything selected .0001 units left or right depending on what direction I pressed it, making snapping using the middle mouse button less than accurate. :poly127:

The logitech drivers aren't so bad once you spend some time customizing them.