Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Akira Kazama - Rival Schools WIP

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
So, when I was going to school there was a strong emphasis on us creating unique intellectual property in everything we were doing. Now that I've graduated and gotten my diploma and hidden it away so that they can't take it back it seems like a good time to do my first major piece of fan-art in 3d.

So, a while back it seemed like everybody was doing Street Fighter stuff. So instead of that I chose to focus on a lesser known but still badass Capcom fighter known as Rival Schools. While I'm at it why not choose one of the most badass character designs in the game.

illed3jw8.jpg

So here's what I've blocked out so far.

akirafirst.jpg

Crits and comments are as always welcome.

:::---Edit---:::
This is where the latest image goes now that this thread is multiple pages long. I'll think of something more witty to write here later.

akiraupdate-2.jpg

Replies

• artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Yes. I loved Rival Schools. It is really unknown, which is sad because of how much fun it is. Good luck with this man, it's sure to be awesome.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here's a quick update. I'm going to do the hands separately by building them out of Zspheres because the last time I tried to make a Zsphere hand I ran into some trouble and I'd like to get that under control.

Also, new avatar.

Akiraupdate.jpg
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, Rival Schools was an awesome game, keep it up.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    that concept made me say, "badass"
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I was hoping to get this done sooner but the whole zsphere hand thing kinda turned into a hand study for a few days. Ultimately I just decided that good old box modeling would do the job since the gloves are so angular anyway.

Also I got distracted for a couple days. On an unrelated note they've started showing Spaced over at Hulu.

Anyway, this glove comes in at 860 tris and the whole body is at 6390 now.
    glove.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I've been spending the past few days detailing out the accessories, and generally avoiding working on the head. The tri-count is nearly at 10k now but I figure that since this is a character from a fighting game 15k and under would be reasonable.

akiraupdate-1.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I've been working on the head in my free time and I feel like I've really learned some things about some things.

• Anime characters are hard to sculpt properly in 3d since their eyes look weird if you do it wrong.
    • Same for the hair.
    • You can legally own a flamethrower in most parts of the United States.

head.jpg
  • MattQ86
  • MattQ86
  • slipsius
    i know its just a t pose or whatever, but from the side, looks off balance... no one stands on their heels directly. think its cause the upper body is leaning back. stomach is forward. sorry, thats the only thing that really caught my eye to comment on. besides that, lookin good. lookin forward to the updates to come
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments everybody. I love me some support and criticism.

@ Slipsius: So, would you say I should lean the upper body a bit more forward then?

Edit: Upon going back into side-view and checking the wireframe she was leaning back a bit much. I straightened it up. Thanks for the advice.
  • ExevaloN
    Gotta love the classics eh? The model is looking good though the face looks creepy. By the way, is that avatar from Mutant League Football?
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it is, just with the color pallet matched to Polycount's green and black.

As for the face I plan on re-working it now that I've decided to go for a more realistic look instead of something like the style found in Street Fighter 4.

Speaking of re-working I'm thinking of making the knee more like this:
    SAKURA_posewire.jpg
    SAKURA_45backwire.jpg
    Seems to me it would deform more naturally than any other double or tripple-into-double edgeloop setup I've ever seen. Thoughts?
  • MattQ86
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    You know what's interesting and totally not boring or mundane? Pads. Knee-pads, legpads, elbowpads. Nothing starts a good party conversation or breaks the ice on a date like talking about pads.

pads.jpg
  • d00kie
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    what about...*looks around very shady*...maxi pads...

I loved playing as Akira in RS. But, I always played her without the gear on, just the helmet and shirt. Good times.

As for your progress, i'd say it coming along swimmingly.

The boot seems askew. It looks as if her heel is really high and her ankle as gone AFK.

http://www.ncgee.com/ProductImages/1440-Engineer-Boot_1122940055.jpg
    See how that boot follows a great curve from leg to heel. I think you should try that with your boot. It needs moar heel.

This makes me want to model a Tiffany... maybe. maybe.
  • uneditablepoly
    Yeah, that boot needs major fixing. Either go look at anatomy drawings or pictures of boots, they should give you a good idea of what needs changing. Also, the curve on the helmet you posted before seems broken up into two parts. It curves smoothly to a oint then veers sharply back. Try to work that out to a continuous arc.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits. I guess the heel comes from having this:
    akira-bw-motor.jpg

as the only clear reference for the boot anywhere on the internet. So I lowered and flattened the heel as seen here:
    akira-121.gif

The helmet has been re-worked at least once since I posted those first few images of it. The Zbrush polypaint above is just to get the skull painted out. I'm going to use a beveled and subdivided version of the helmet for normals rather than trust my ability to accurately smooth things in Zbrush.

akirafixes.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie wrote: »

This makes me want to model a Tiffany... maybe. maybe.

Do it. I'd love to see how you get around the issue of that outfit not making sense in so many ways.
  • d00kie
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL
    Tiffany's outift is all about the armor class!
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are...preferably while wearing some kickass spiked shoulder pads with skulls painted on them." - Theodore Roosevelt
    shoulderpainted.jpg
  • d00kie
    Offline / Send Message
    she seems dreadfully thin/flat in the torso region and thigh. I'd beef her up some.
    I know she's not showing her bewbs and she has on the biker armor, but you could give some indication that she's in fact, female. In the concept, they use the hips and waist to hint that there's a badass chica under there.

Push out those hips and give her a slghtly wider bust/smaller waist. She also needs some sign of a badonk.
    I think that'll do the trick.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed, she needs a little touch of femininity.

Also how you have built the crotch is like a bent tube :/, give that some loving. Also there are none of the actual hip forms. If you give us a bigger view of the model as it is now i will happily give a paintover :).
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Akiraforpaintover.jpg

The tube-crotch probably comes from the body originally being blocked out with Zspheres.
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Pretty good model so far. I think the proportions need some more work, though. I hope you won't mind, but I took the liberty to "liquify" a bit your model to give him more natural forms. It's not perfect, but hopefully this will help you a bit.

proportions_tweaks.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    the model needs hips. and some anatomy touch ups. and i dont remember who said it,
    but yeah from the side, it does look off balance.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits everybody.

Ok, in between applying for roughly one hojillion* jobs in the past couple days I managed to take everybody's input into consideration and make the minor changes that hopefully give her a more femine look.

@ d00kie : I slightly synched in her waist and widened her shoulders and rounded out the ass a bit.

@ Muzz : I tried pushing in a bit around where the legs meet up with the crotch and rounding out the pelvis as much as I could without it looking like a front-butt. This probably only reads at all from the 3/4ths view. I will continue working on making that look less like a bent tube.

@ Renaud Galand : Hey man, good to see that one of my favorite posters in the speed sculpt thread has taken interest in this thread. Ummm, I think you might have misread something before you dove into the liquifying process because you totally made her a dude in that paintover with the wide shoulders and tiny hips. Still, your re-shaping of the helmet is spot on. I also tried to smooth the forms down a bit like you did using oaRelaxVerts.

@ Alberto Rdrgz : I straightened out the legs so that it no longer looks so off-balance. In doing this I had to shift around the leg pads in a way that would have messed up the sculpt so I just made a sub-d version that looks a lot smoother. I might drop it into Zbrush later to add some scratches though.

Also, time permitting I might re-paint the skull on the helmet. I don't like how large it is right now compared to most of the concept images.

update.jpg

Well, I'm going to take this into Zbrush soon. Til then thanks for all the help and keep the crits coming. Later.

*six.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    bodyroughsculpt.jpg

Just a quick update on where the sculpt's going. Going to try and find some decent refferences for the back later. Now it's back to trying to get xNormal to believe me about not having n-gons on my meshes...

Akirasculpt.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    akirahead.jpg

So, I went back to resculpt the head, and it's coming along but no matter how much I smooth the area there still seems to be artifacting around the mouth.

artifacting.jpg

Anybody ever encounter something like this?
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    man, work on the planes of anatomy, and make sure you get the proportions spot on.

The female form does have certain landmarks to be there for it to look good.
    And with sculpting you have to know where to define the planes, right now everything is very tubelike, lacks form. Go open up some naked images of women and start sculpting using that. Being scared of screwing up will hold you back.

paintover-4.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody. I took some time off to work on some side projects, apply for some jobs and enjoy a birthday.

Thanks for the paintover Muzz. My biggest problem with sculpting tends to be softening up shapes to the point where they lose a bit of their form. Hopefully these before and after shots show improvement.

beforeafterfront.jpg

beforeafterback.jpg

beforeafterside.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to help everybody visualize how things are coming along, here's a quick look at the overall form.
    akiraupdate-2.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you are afraid of loosing work, just get in there and get your hands dirty and start actually sculpting, no ifs or buts about it. You have barley changed the forms at all, more just superficial details.

If it doesnt work, just go back to a previous save, no loss. Trust me its the best way.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I think I've gotten it right this time...
    Updatetotheupdate.jpg

I say that mostly because I actually used the same plane as I was working with in Maya to get the proportions matched up with the concept art.

usingref.jpg

As to why I didn't do that earlier...

...I have no idea.
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hai matt.
    Heres what i think you should do, dump the zbrush work youve done on her, it was good experience. Go BACK to your max model and fix the anatomy and proportions and not have her so blocky. That paintover by renauld is actually the way it should be :/ Screw the blueprint your using right now, and probably use a more realistic blueprint and see what your doing wrong proprtion:ratio-wise
    THEN bring her back into zbrush and start with working out the forms. Pay attention to what muzz has been saying the whole time. (esp. the seeing naked pictures part XD)
    I would also change the topo youve got going on in the groin area, i dont think its going to be very friendly when your sculpting.

Good luck :)
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    So, wait...

Before everything was too tube-like...now it's too blocky? I can see some areas where it's maybe too flat or sharp but I'm not sure if that's what you mean by blocky.

You say renauld and Muzz's paintovers are to be taken into consideration, but renauld made her a dude and Muzz is pushing for femininity...

The proportions are also correct (7 1/2 heads tall, shin about as long as the thigh, hips a bit wider than the shoulders, etc. etc.) This is actually really surprsing as Capcom isn't exactly known for having realistic proportions on their fighting game characters. (Awesome Dan BTW).

I appreciate all the feedback but frankly I'm confused...
  • archita
    the project is Work in Progress again ? 
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, what? This is from when I was first posting here seven years ago.

Seven years ago?

My liiiiiiiiiiife.
  • Bummer6
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
    MattQ86 said:
    Wait, what? This is from when I was first posting here seven years ago.

Seven years ago?

My liiiiiiiiiiife.
    Welp, now you have to finish it. Get to work.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I dug up these files off an external drive and decided to look at how my process has changed over the years. Let this embarrassing thread be a standing memorial to the learning process. This file was last updated February 2nd 2010. Total noobs out there, learn from my mistakes.

Ok, upon initial inspection the first things that strike me are that the anatomy is off and that this isn't how image planes are supposed to work. How was I allowed to graduate from anywhere with this knowledge? Upon closer inspection it turns out the entire suit is one piece, the pants, crotch pad and the jacket. What? How did I think this was a good idea? Oh man, is there a term for the opposite of hard surface modeling? Because that lumpy helmet is proof that I didn't know there were multiple smoothing modes in Zbrush other than holding down shift with the default settings. Speaking of sculpting techniques maybe I should have made the folds at a lower subdivision level and let it look more natural. Topology's another thing that's inconsistent here, some of it's super efficient and some of it just looks wonky. The only thing I can really say positively for this is that technology and the hardware I had at the time were way less powerful even for the time. That said I've seen people's SDKs in recent years that prove you can get far more out of even less.

I'm thinking of actually completing/re-doing this just to right these wrongs.