Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Streets of Rage Remake/Machinima

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ceebee polycounter lvl 14
I figure it's finally time I actually start posting some of my stuff. I'm still pretty new to seriously doing 3D/Sculpture but I'm trying to self teach myself as much as I can before I head off to Vancouver Film School for 3D Animation and Visual Effects.

One of the ways to get myself to work is to set a project, and a few months ago I decided to start a remake of Streets of Rage, and maybe eventually get all the assets and an environment to game spec and create a 1-2 minute long machinima (in-game cutscene), as my dream is to hopefully eventually do either in-engine or prerendered cinematics for video games.

So far I've only started working on two out of the three characters I have planned. Please note my goal is to recreate this somewhat cartoony so the proportions on stuff may be a little wacky. Firstly, Axel, the main character (I decided to redesign him as kind of an islander type race, light eyes, and some dreadlocks. His original design was kind of bland in Streets of Rage). He'll be wearing a sort of aviator type jacket. Hands either in wraps or thin versions of MMA fighting gloves (similar to the old version of Axel). Exaggerated torso/arms/hands, loves punching the crap out of the baddies...

axel_concept_wip.jpg

Second, Ysignal, one of the "baddies" in SoR who is kind of a skinny punk type fella, always kind of slouched down, ready to punch something. Wears a trenchcoat and tight pants. Not afraid to throw in a kick or two to your groin with some external steel plated boots...

ysignal_concept_wip.jpg

And lastly I plan on concepting/etc an updated version of the hilarious Big Ben character...

sor2_bigben_laugh.gif

Jolly fat man, loves to jump up in the air and belly flop on the nearest hero. Suspenders are going to be a musthave once I start on this guy. Will be my first fat person sculpt.

Here's my current progress on my Axel sculpt. Right now I'm just playing around with proportions and styles (I kind of like the geometric Team Fortress 2 type style, especially since this will be a fun action packed beat-em-up type of machinima). I plan on retopoing this fella so that the edges coincide with the sharp planes that define the forms, to keep a nice looking silouette. Most just having fun learning the ins and outs of ZBrush. :]

axel_sculpt_wip.jpg

Any comments, criticism, or input welcome.

Also, any input or suggestions and tips from people who have done, or is doing machinima type stuff in games is wholeheartedly welcome!

I'll be posting updates as I continue my progress, hope you enjoy follow me through this!

Replies

• ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on my Axel sculpt. Really experimenting with this guy as the only ones I'm sticking to the concepts strictly is Ysignal and Big Ben. Gotta have some fun ;]

http://www.curtisbinder.com/axel_sculpt.jpg
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, at first I was not apt to the proportions, but in the updated shot, it is really coming together nice. I'm not really a character guy, so I can't really say what I would do different in this or even criticize your work, but I can say it looks really good with that material on it. There is one thing, perhaps his cuts are a bit too deep - maybe you were already thinking that, and so already going to be slightly less deep in the final model.

Of course if you're totally going for that kind of look, you're nailing it, it's good.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

I just forgot I completely neglected the hands after I grabbed those progress shots. I'm moving onto clothing for this fella so I get get retopo-ing and get a nice game-spec mesh.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the legs should be a little bit thicker
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alec, it's his unique style :)

Not that you would know about that - Messin lol
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, no the legs are usually definitely thicker. There's probably countless things anatomically wrong with him. At the moment I'm just working on exaggerated proportions for basically a coat hanger I spent too much time on ahaha.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    nothing pissed me off more than the two or more Big Bens you had to fight on the elevator on the way to Mr. X's office...such an enclosed space, and the bellies...so many bellies... and if i recollect right, they spit fire? Maybe that was on Final Fight, i dont remember!

as for your progress, its a nice start and you're following your concept closely. Not much i can say since you went with your own unique style. But i will say one thing and it is very imperative and you must correct it immediately:

NEEDS MORE HEADBANDANA! ;)
    Axel-Stone.jpg
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    axelsculpt1.jpg

Still working on this fella. Redid the proportions, added boots. Starting some pants, then moving onto shirt then jacket. Now he actually looks like he can punch something and hurt it yayyyy.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, finished pants, started basemesh for the undershirt. Pretty much redid his head.

axelsculpt2.jpg

Any suggestions for how to get the pattern on a wifebeater on there and not have it look like turd? Besides zooming in real close and doing about 500 lazystrokes? I'm thinking custom alpha or something.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    ceebee wrote: »
    Update, finished pants, started basemesh for the undershirt. Pretty much redid his head.

axelsculpt2.jpg

Any suggestions for how to get the pattern on a wifebeater on there and not have it look like turd? Besides zooming in real close and doing about 500 lazystrokes? I'm thinking custom alpha or something.

You can always do the wifebeater texture in photoshop with an overlay.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Streets of Rage = classic great game. How about doing Blaze sometime hehe. Axel is really coming together. Keep up the good work.