Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

winged victory statue prop

I've been wanting to do some stuff i can stick in my portfolio, so here's a prop I've been working on. it's mostly done, the base needs some lovin'. this is a max viewport screenshot:
winged_wipcopy.png
any crits/comments are welcome!

Replies

• mLink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    I think you should try painting in some highlights along the folds and such, just to make them pop. Right now my eye is getting drawn to the base, not the model, so probably desaturate and darken the stand a bit. In the color map it looks like you made the occlusion green, have you tried making it blueish? It might compliment the orange a bit better. The model looks good, and the normal map is clean. What size map is on it?
  • BigHoss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have to agree with mLink on this. The base seems a bit too bright compared to the statue itself. Another bit that strikes me as odd is the wings. The weathered look is great, but the wings look more weathered than the body. Here is a pic I found of a similar statue. Some feathers added to the wings would make this a complete model. Just my opinion.

6308a.jpg

I know it's a bit late to do anymore sculpting, but just wanted to give some crits. Hope it didn't sound too mean.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    I would say google image the nike Samothrace and see what yours is missing from the original.

Too me it looks like your wings need the most work.

Keep going, this looks like it could turn out pretty fly. :thumbup:
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments guys! here's an update:
    q3ghq35gh345g.png

I sculpted some feathers on the wings and baked everything again, also painted some highlights on the diffuse, they're pretty subtle... and the base got some tweaking too, mostly contrast. I also added another light in the viewport. I think this thing is almost finished... oh, there's a seam now because of some of my overlayed textures, so gotta fix that. and the textures are 1024.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    The only problem with the new render here, is that it has lost its 'finely-worked' quality. It seems that some added roughness was added, making it look more unfinished or heavily damaged.

If you removed some of the roughness and got some more crisp modeling in there, this could look very impressive -- and is great sculpting practice besides. You're on the right track, and have made some good progress so far. Keep at it.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    not too shabby. I think you should toy with your saturation a bit, though. Either drop the saturation or darken the diffuse, maybe a bit of both.

The wings also look a little "nubby". Where they connect to the body it should be a bit thinner.

I know it's a little late in the game at this point, but you might consider changing the geo on the wings to show a more feathered look. Here's a peice you might want to draw some inspiration from:
    Bronze_Figurine.jpg
    If you did similar cuts on both sides of the wings, deleted the lower unnecessary geo and welded the open polys together this piece could really sing.

also pumping up the greens in the nooks and crannies might add a little more depth to the piece. Grunge always looks good in game art.

Overall a nice study in bronze :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd disagree on that. You need to consider the fact that stone is quite brittle. Any fine extraneous details are going to snap off. She's already her arms and head. It's surprising that the wings are still attached at all.
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'd disagree on that. You need to consider the fact that stone is quite brittle. Any fine extraneous details are going to snap off. She's already her arms and head. It's surprising that the wings are still attached at all.

I think it's meant to be bronze (a metal).