Home Technical Talk

3DS Max - Attaching Objects to Spline

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Illusive polycounter lvl 8
I know this is really basic but it's been ages since I've used max and I've totally spaced on how to do this.

I've got a line and want to attach some rings to it so I can make a necklace type thing.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Tools > "spline array" or something similar (don't have max open, + have not used that one in ages)
    it basically lets you duplicate/ instance your object along a spline
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Spacing Tool
    In max 2009
    Tools -> Align -> Spacing tool

Shortcut:
    SHIFT + I
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    nice this will come in handy
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive wrote: »
    I know this is really basic but it's been ages since I've used max and I've totally spaced on how to do this.

I've got a line and want to attach some rings to it so I can make a necklace type thing.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Skin modifier on the rings, use the spline as a bone. Or use skin warp, pretty much the same thing.

OR
    On the spline apply a Spline IK Control this will put non-renderable dummies at each vert of the spline. The dummies control the spline so you're not stuck having to go into vert mode on the spline every time you want to move something. Then you can link (or skin) the rings to the dummies.

OR

Model the necklace flat and straight and use PathDeformWSM and select the spline as the path. Spline IK on the path spline so its easier to move around. I suggest PathDeforming an instance of your necklace that way you can edit the flat piece much easier.

It can get more complex depending on the motion required but if you're just posing it all three of those should do the trick just fine.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    just noticed this script today:
    http://scriptspot.com/3ds-max/maxcsript-obj2spline-align
    Maxcsript: Obj2Spline Align
    6684354742_thumb.jpg
    A script that aligns objects along a path or spline. much more editable than the spacing tool. see how it works here or download complete package (with mini tut).
    might be worth a shot