Home General Discussion

Vancouver Unity Developers Meetup

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
pliang polycounter lvl 17
http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/3016770/

For game developers, casual game developers etc, come on out.

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, this should be cool, I'm looking forward to it. I know a few of the Dimerocker guys, they've got some cool stuff coming, so it should be interesting. :D
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a bit confused by this event. Isn't Unity 3d an engine they want to sell? For 1500 for the iPhone? But they're still charging $20 cover? what? I guess this is nice as a networking event.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The event isnt being run by the Unity guys I don't think Tyler. Pretty sure it's being run by DimeRocker and a couple of other groups.

Though even given that you've got a point. Would make more sense for them to make it free.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, just heard from a friend over at DimeRocker, and he asked me to confirm that it is a dimeRocker put on event, not Unity. Further, he asked me to post this:
    Howdy from dR HQ,

Just to clarify...
    This is a dimeRocker driven launch for the Vancouver Chapter of www.unityusersgroup.com : a not-for-profit initiative we are undertaking to build Unity communities both locally and abroad.
    True, Unity 3D does stand to benefit, and thus are sending Tom from San Fran to do a Keynote and help us kick it off UUG.
    They will also be providing us with Unity licenses to give away.
    We did everything we could to price it as low as possible to cover basic costs of venue, food, staffing and alcohol for event.
    In fact without additional local sponsors, and the generosity of BootUp Entrepreneurial Society, New Media BC and the Centre for Digital Media there would be no way we could afford to do this.
    HINT: If one does a little snooping there is a $50% off coupon available at Techvibes.com (http://bit.ly/1ymzG) - we are also offering a similar discount for students.

We should have details up on the Unity 3D Workshop by end of week.
    It will be an all-day affair with a catered lunch for $50 - again this just covers costs (there will be a discount for students).
    If anybody has any questions or concerns please contact me at j.joly@overinteractive.com.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers,
    J.Joly

Anyways, I chatted with dimeRocker a bit about it earlier today. Sounds like it should be great, and they are doing a lot to try to kick up some support for the Unity/Indie community around here. I'd really suggest checking it out for anyone interested.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10