Home General Discussion

Star Craft 2 Image Mother-load

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
I just came across this huge collection of Star Craft 2 3d art and its simply gorgous, so I thought I would share. I can't wait for this game (been saying that for like 4 years now heh).

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/850126/starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty/images/starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty-20090219104126756.html?page=mediaFull

If anyone has some other cool game links of images they would like to share please do.

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I almost want to say I prefer the texture style on the left ...

maybe it's optional!? OMG OPTIONAL ART GRPAHICX!!2
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i thought i remembered SCII looking a lot better....maybe when its in motion.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    The graphics remind me a lot like C&C for some reason.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I don't get the left and right thing? Right is the "new" art, and... what does the left mean?

WTF IS GOING ON!!????
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are the left ones from the original starcraft? oh wait. nm
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    they did a do-over some time ago, where they moved over from handpainted "crazybumped" units, to actual highpoly model baked content.

hence left & right.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think the newer models look really good, youll probably never see them that close up anyway, it seems like starcraft has slowly moved away from those colorful simplified initial screens we saw towards that super detailed "gears of starcraft" look that some people were craving
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    i prefer the ol feel of sc1 much better :( normalmaps n shaders doesnt always mean better :(
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yeah starcraft was always about a gritty realistic style, i still think that zerg look a tad like toys and not those pulsating shits that make you throw up everytime you select them.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Call me an idiot, but I think that some graphics from 2006 looked rather better.

And by 'better', I mean that they make SC2 look like a '90s game or a mod by comparison.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    There was a mod by some people at Snowflake Entertainment that recreated Starcraft in the Warcraft Engine; Project Revolution.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-revolution/images/trouble-on-char

Screenshots were pretty tight:

47875.jpg

25634.jpg

47843.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    Call me an idiot, but I think that some graphics from 2006 looked rather better.

And by 'better', I mean that they make SC2 look like a '90s game or a mod by comparison.

I dont really see what you mean zwebbie, I think starcraft 2 looks loads better than company of heroes, perhaps beauty is in the eye of the beholder. also company of heroes was always focused on a small group of units where starcraft is built for large amounts of units onscreen at one time so its going to look a bit different.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    still disappointed that SC2 doesn't allow lan play :(
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Ged wrote:
    I dont really see what you mean zwebbie, I think starcraft 2 looks loads better than company of heroes
    Seriously? I guess it's in the eye of the beholder indeed. I understand that SC2 can not give every infantryman 5k polies and 1024^2 maps (as CoH has), but I think Blizzard's art direction is pretty weak.

CoH's greatest visual quality, in my opinion, is the sheer amount of things that happen from a battle. Bullets bounce off tanks, infantry will lie screaming on the ground for a whole minute before they disappear, artillery shells create permanent craters, buildings collapse, walls break into pieces that can be moved by tanks, tanks leave permanent wrecks and driving against a telephone pole will cause it to collapse, the cables will break and sparkingly hit the ground. It's not so much a factor or specs, but creativity and attention to detail. SC2 just added death animations, but for the rest, their world is little more than a glorified chess board that seems to take no notice of the battle going on.

Blizzard's games have had a stark contrast between their in-game style and their cut-scene style. To me, it seems SC2 is bridging that gap, but in doing so, they lose both the recognisability and efficiency of the Warcraft style and the gritty atmosphere of their FMVs. It doesn't particularly scream fun to me, as WoW or TF2, nor does it immersive you into a war that you can take seriously.

On top of that, I think a lot of units are a bit weakly designed or rendered. Look at this image. Now I haven't been paying too much attention to SC2, so I wasn't familiar with the Thor. It took me half a minute to realise that that hunk of metal is actually one unit. I look at the Siege Tanks and can't quite make out the shape of the barrel, so I have no idea what kind of shell it would fire. This image. I see small Protoss drones and it's really hard to tell which is their front side. On inspection, it's the side where the engines taper down a little bit. The Terran Battlecruiser-thingies; do they fire from the cylinder on the front? Or from the wings attached to that? Or both? If I didn't see 'm firing, that could just as well have been an engine and the front could have been the other end. Of the Protoss ships in the lower left corner, I'm not sure what the front side is. I find that too many units too focus a lot on medium-scale detail, which makes the silhouettes and shapes unclear.

Buildings too - the Protoss Nexus has no exit, so how am I supposed to tell that units come out of it? The Gateway has a light that seems like a portal, but there isn't any good way to walk out of it, so how am I supposed to tell it warps in units? The Exit of the Terran Factory isn't enough to have a Siege Tank roll out of it, so how can I tell that it produces those? Company of Heroes, while not perfect, uses some clever design to make the use of some buildings clear. A barracks can produce a Jeep - which doesn't logically make sense - so it has half a jeep sticking out. Motor Pools and Tank Depots both have a 'hall' where vehicles are produced with a clear exit. To make a distinction, the Motor Pool, which produces light vehicles, has a pile of wheels next to it, whereas the Tank Depot has tank tracks and a half-finished Sherman on the inside. Again, it's not perfect, but Starcraft II's design don't even seem to try to convery what they're doing.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking about the design - you'd pick it all up in a day's worth of play. But I can't help but think when Valve spends an incredible amount of time getting TF2 as obvious as possible, that should rub off more to Blizzard when they're the biggest in PC gaming. It's as if their mentality is to look at every individual asset of SC1 and make it pretty - while they should scrap everything and make it look pretty from the ground on up, which would have resulted in more lively and cohesive art.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    you're thinking about it too hard. Its a game in outer space, where they fight on floating squares, against things that shoot lasers.

apples to icecream. they're both edible, but two completely different things.

check out some of the vids, it looks a lot better in motion than those super high-res screenshots. http://www.starcraft2.com/movies.xml
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    nice find! *oogles*
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    SC2 looks way fucking better than what you linked
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree with moose, the buildings and stuff are just place holders or symbols so you can easily identify them. They can only be so big and and not effect gameplay. If they went for ultra realistic it would be like looking at a city from google earth. You wouldn't know what the hell was going on.
    I don't know, I'm a big fan of the art direction, and hopfully when the game comes out, actually playing it, everyone will see exactly why Blizzard did certain things art wise the way they did. I mean, the game has been in production so long, it better be good. :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    perna wrote: »
    Not only are the newer versions better made, but most of the units have improved designs as well. I believe what's throwing people off is that the newer screenshots have worse lighting than the older.

perhaps, do you mean the new screenshots of the gameplay dont have very nice lighting? or do you mean the old and new model comparisons have different lighting on the models?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Optional graphics sounds like a great idea! but more work just for that, toss up?
    Love me some SC2 Now damn it!!!