Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ancient City Environment

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
Updated final concept:

temple%20concept6.jpg

Check the last page of the thread for the most recent WIP 3D update. :)

Original post:

I've been planning to make a sizable ancient-temple themed environment for some time now, and today I've finally committed to it and drawn up a couple of rough concept sketches:

temple%20thumbs%202nd%20sm.jpg

The plan is to make one of these two concepts into a game-ready scene in UE3 over the next month or so. Right now I'm leaning towards the top one as it's a bit more closed off. No plans currently for making it usable as a multiplayer map, I'm just focusing on making it look as sweet as possible for my portfolio.

A bit of flavor story I whipped up while sketching: these are the ruins of a forgotten civilization that was very advanced for its time but encountered some kind of disaster that wiped them out. The atmosphere evoked by the ruins is that of the bittersweet and mysterious -- awe for what was, paired with a wistfulness for what could have been. Although I'm labeling it "temple scene" in my WIPs, that's just because of the refs I'm using for inspiration. Generally the scene is meant to be from the upper class section of an ancient city.

Let me know what you think! Harshest of crits welcome at any point. :)

Replies

• P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    for this type of scene, there should be a lot more foliage. Trees and vines tend to rip these old ruins apart over long periods of time. From the concepts, the ruins seem freshly abandoned by comparison.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Looks good. Increase the contrast a little so it looks sharper, or just use the unsharp mask
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Weop, first of all I can't wait to see what this will look like in the coming weeks, and so far I like your general direction man, are you planning on having this as a more colourful scene, or more so a darker atmosphere (ruins as you had said). I could see using some cool plant life in this, that could bring some colour to balance off the old ruin feel.

I think (in my opinion) you should combine those 2 concepts, have the first 1 being your overall scene, having the second one (with that little temple / shine) being the main focus in your scene. I think it would make the scene much more interesting, but hopefully not too crowded (which may be the case).

I think either way, try working those 2 ideas into 1, having a nice and clear main focal point, while telling the overall story with the background scenery.

I honestly can't wait to see what you cook up Zack, great starting concepts.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    oh this looks like it's going to rock :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Well, the sketches are looking really good even in rough form.
    I'm looking forward to seeing this develop.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 - Good call, I've gotten that crit before on an older concept of mine. I'll take another pass on pushing for more vegetation and destruction.

Sage - These are just quickish sketches so I tried to stay loose while working, but running a sharpen on them now probably will help. I'll check it out.

Jason - Thanks man! I'm going for something of a balance, where there is a dark side to it but it's still generally lively and colorful. So, a sort of duality, where it seems serene yet unsafe at the same time. I hadn't thought of unusual plant life, what did you have in mind? It could be cool to push things in a little bit of a fantasy direction with the plant life, and might even hint at why the city is abandoned. For the scene composition I'm thinking along similar lines, possibly moving the little shrine off to the left of the top concept on the path past the arch. :)

kp and Brad: Thanks guys, I'm really pumped about it.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Ya this does look like a really good idea. I have been working on ancient architecture type environment art for the past 4 months pretty much. If you are interested in exchanging workflow ideas or anything go ahead and PM me.

PS i like the bottom one the best.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those concepts rock, reminds me of shadow of the colossus/ico a bit, and I agree about adding more foliage. cant wait for updates
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    i personally quite enjoy the fact that there isn't so much vegetation hiding all the great architecture. gives the feeling that this place isn't really abandoned, like that a small group of natives crawls around in those ruins and kills all intruders. it just has this vibe to me of pretty architecture you watch in awe but always have that weird feeling in your gut that you are being watched.

looking forward to any updates on this :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin good, can't wait to see more =)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Great concepts, If you go for first one, don't leave the second entirely, its dome piece in the middle has very interesting shapes and details you could develop imo ;)
  • g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    Great concepts, I'm looking forward to follow your progress.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the second concept is much more interesting i hope you go for it :D
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    I like second one too. Would be nice to see it in 3d :)
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the interest guys, it's really encouraging to see. :)

I've decided to develop the first concept as my primary mood concept, but the structures in the second will definitely make an appearance in the 3D scene itself. Still, it would be good for me to know: for those who prefer the second over the first, what qualities about it did you like most? The structures themselves, the scale of the area, the lighting, something else? For what it's worth, I'm going with the first because it feels much more enclosed and mysterious, like there is a quiet struggle between the ruins and the encroaching jungle. Also the way the view is from a shadowed area to a highlighted area feels more dramatic.

Virtuosic - Yeah, I've lurked your thread for a bit, and it was probably a big factor in giving me the idea to do an environment like this. :) I'll PM you later today.

Blackula - Really glad to hear it, Fumito Ueda is a huge inspiration for me.

divi - I really like the idea of having a sense that something is hiding in the shadows and watching you, whether or not something actually is there. I'm definitely going for that kind of vibe, where the place seems really peaceful but there's a weirdness to it where something doesn't quite seem right. The inhabitants might not care about the upkeep much though (and might not even be human), so I'm still going to try cranking up the foliage and decay several notches.

Here is a quick color pass on what is now the primary concept. I haven't gotten to any detailing or foliage changes yet, but I did whip up some subtle god rays.

temple%20color%20concept.jpg
  • Stefander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is pure awesome, I'm digging the environment, one thing I do miss is a bit of color variation, it's a bit too much on the green side, maybe you could add in some other tones as well, like red for the stones, or some blue in some water that might be lurking below. The ancient buildings kind of blend in the jungle a little too much, don't be afraid to seperate the two, if only slightly.

Also, what is that thing crawling over the railing in the foreground? Is it a baby elephant? I like elephants.

Looking forward to more man!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If there is going to be vegetation then the golden green filtered lighting is totally justified. Looks ace, eagerly awaiting more.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I was planning on doing an Enviro piece almost exactly like this upon my return to the states...since Ive spent the last month or so crawling around in jungles, caves and Mayan ruins...
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    maybe add some colorfull parrots or macaws that sit on some plants or butterflies to add a few completly different colors to the palette.
    but thats something that doesnt necessarily need to go into the concept. i like butterflies (sounds gay :D ).
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefander - Thanks man! I have a tendency to make fairly desaturated or monochromatic concepts so I took your crit and tried pushing the colors a bit more. It's still fairly tame but the push helped out a lot I think. Hehe, I can totally see that baby elephant climbing over the rail. It was just a blobby placeholder for a statue post that I've sketched in now, although I might change the design of it significantly.

Vig - Thanks again man, yeah I'm going to keep things a bit gold/green filtered overall to convey the ideas of swampiness and poisonous atmosphere.

Scooby - Oh man, awesome! I hope you took a few hundred gigs worth of camera mem with you. :D

divi - Well, I don't want the scene to feel too inviting, plus it would be a lot of work to have any animated wildlife. I might do something like birds circling overhead though. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

So here's my end of the day update. I've started amping up the foliage and decay but I think I could still go a lot farther with it.

temple%20color%20concept%202.jpg
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    This is pretty cool. Doing something in the same theme for my own at the moment. This one here can get inspiring =)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Quick take on it:
    3700038321_9185360251_o.jpg

Just a couple gausien blurs for the midground and far background to help focus on the higher detailed forground. Little desaturation at the top to help with the illusion of depth.

Used a mask to isolate the background and played with the curves editor, using the seperate red, blue and green channels to toy with the color a bit, really cool way of adding little nuances to your piece, especially with a mask to isolate specific regions.

The original was kick ass, and obviously this is all subjective, but i heard you were looking to add more color variety and this is how i would go about it :D
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belated thanks for the paintover, crazyfingers. I'll play around with getting a DOF blur effect later on, but actually I might use it to put more focus on the brightly lit structure. I think I prefer a blueish sky fog.

I'm finally back on this project and it's full steam ahead! Here's today's update on the concept:

temple%20concept4.jpg
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    This is looking really amazing, and I still don't know why I didn't think of it before you.

The inclusion of the trees in the foreground was a really good idea. I might angle them more, seeing as they are probably on a steep slope or growing out of the chasm there.

But, please be done with the concepting phase so I can see some of this in real-time!!!!

--Wait, it looks like there is a suggestion of a ground plane there, very close to the balcony. I liked the idea this balcony being pretty high off the ground, but maybe that's just silly.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! Hehe, I'm not planning to spend much longer on the concept, and can't wait to start blocking out the scene in 3D. :) I agree about the ground plane, it's actually supposed to be more like a foggy jungle canopy but looks too opaque at the moment. I'll see what I can do about that tomorrow.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I really love following the development of your concept, its coming along great and can't wait to see the finished product!
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is coming along famously- I hope you put alot more details in the background!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    beautiful concept
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I can't help but look around the scene for items i need to pick up to activate the ancient ruins ;). Reminds me of the good ol' adventure game days
  • jmchristopher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmchristopher polycounter lvl 11
    The concept is looking great! It makes me want to see it with that additional dimension we all love so much.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice! Makes me want to go do some tablet work in photoshop. :O
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    can you tell how you done it?Have u used any photo materials or is all handpainted?

Looks amazing!
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. :)

Kaburan: How's that hangar coming? Haven't seen an update on it for a bit.

Thewiruz: Yep, there are a few photo images I've used for foliage in the foreground. I actually took most of the photos myself from walking around my previous apartment complex -- Gainesville is such a swampy jungle it's almost absurd.
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks for explaining!I really mean --> it looks awesome!
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem, thanks again man. :)

Got another update. I should have put a standing dude in the scene way earlier to help with scale, oops! Roughed in a big face over the door and leafy vines, along with various minor changes.

temple%20concept5.jpg
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    ZackF wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. :)
    Kaburan: How's that hangar coming? Haven't seen an update on it for a bit.

It's coming along well, i'll be posting an update soon ^^
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, I love scenes like this where man made structures blend with nature.

When this all goes over to 3d will you try to keep the painterly look of your concept? or will you go for a more photoreal look?
  • MatthewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the idea, and have some ideas for you... I like how you have some drop offs that are really sharp as this leaves it to chance that something can come up at any minute.

I think that lighting can help for the serene but not safe feel. Having lots of sunlight and still having areas kind of in the shadows and hidden will open it up to having inhabitants that you can't see.

Also if it is an advanced civilization and is a part of the upperclass area then you might try putting gold in places as it is a symbol of wealth and power, and will really pop with the foliage.

And I agree with Stefander that if you want more color, I think red would be a good choice.

Just some thoughts. Great job so far. I can't wait for updates.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    yes!
    very nice)
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    very sweet! concepts like these make you itch to see them in 3d...
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the big tree off on the right side. Something about the space between the background and foreground makes me think that there is a still pond there. Is there any water or does the construction go further down?
  • NAILMASK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAILMASK polycounter lvl 10
    I'm enjoying this progression! Thanks for the post.
  • Jaiza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice concept i like your art style
  • silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love this post!!
    Cant wait to see more. You must show us all the way as you progress in modelling..I see this as a great tutorial tool to start a project from scratch. What program you going to model this in?

(How about some jungle ropes hanging from the trees, something really close up and in your face, showing lots of detail, like the left and right side is all in the same plane, so you need something to step the dimension) Just a thought, love it already also as it is.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, it's really encouraging to get this positive feedback. :)

kaburan: Cool, looking forward to it.

Ben Apuna: I'll be going for a mostly photorealistic look in the 3D work. A painterly version would be a lot of fun to work on, but I'm using this as a key portfolio piece and the studios I intend to apply to lean heavily toward the photorealistic side.

GugloPWN: I've been thinking that below the structures there's a really swampy river that flows from the distant waterfall.

silver_shadow: For sure, I'll keep the thread updated with 3D progress. I'll be using 3DS Max and zbrush for modeling. Good idea on the foreground rope, I'll try experimenting with that and some extreme foreground foliage.
  • slave_one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slave_one polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff ZackF, nice to see the progress images and good luck / godspeed with the 3d execution.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally wrapped up the concept, time to move on to 3D!

temple%20concept6.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Dude that's hot!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I'M PUMPED!!!!