Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Vincent Mayeur / Student Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
Hello PC,

It has been some months now since I registered here, and I've learnt a lot from every people in this forum, and still learning every day.

I'm a student in second year of a game development degree at H.E.A.J. Belgium.

I'll search for internships in the coming weeks, so if you have any advices, locations, tips to help me decide, feel free to share. :)

Here's my portfolio, http://www.mayvin.be/

I made something simple, and kept the number of pieces limited. I don't have a lot of quality art to show yet.:\

Replies

• movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movento polycounter lvl 17
    Hey,that's some really nice work on your portfolio and a good site too.
    You seem to have good skills with a lot of software,which can come in handy i think.
    Unfortunately there aren't many game companies in Belgium,i only know of Larian and Tale of Tales.

Good luck landing a job

btw, can i ask why you didn't use a specular map for the tank model?
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    awesome race car, i would adjust the lighting on the in game shot so its whiter and increase the resolution of the ground texture a tiny bit.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, nice portfolio. The main thing that I would change with it atm is how you have little explanations all over the place. It makes things look a little messy IMO. I think you should just do a bullet point at the beginning and really just say what you have to, to quickly inform the viewer.
    Your Eden environment looks great! And the racer car is a really strong piece also.
    I would suggest getting ride of the character you made though. He looks cool, but certainly not on the same level as the rest of your work. The other thing I think you should do is either not show the diffuse texture on your tank, or re-work it. The tanks diffuse isn't looking so hot right now, but the normals look really good.
    Good luck on your job hunt, and you have a really nice portfolio especially for a 2nd year student.
  • jmchristopher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmchristopher polycounter lvl 11
    You have some really solid work and a really good site too, but I think you could do a little more with the breakdowns. Your work is great and they way it is presented makes me want to see more. The tree in your eden fortress map is really cool and all you show is a texture. I want to see some wires or a bit more on how you made it.

Also, just something to think about when showing your work. When I was working on breakdowns for my stuff, I figured the most logical way to present things was to go from most interesting to least interesting. So open with a the best image you can. I think you picked a good one there. The next image should probably be of something interesting within your main idea, like your imprisoned gladiator. Right there you have two very cool things that grab the viewers attention and make them want to see more.

From there, go right into how you made your scene, break it down and show what meshes/textures/props, etc you used to make it. Where it is relevant, show your diff/nrm/spec maps, high/low poly, z-brush sculpts and wire frames.

Then go on to the composition of your piece, show some of the process used to make it. That is where I would put the block out, or some map layout info. If necessary end with some final thoughts on where you got your inspiration.

Like I said, I think you have some great breakdowns, but the environment piece at the top could be a bit more organized and illustrate your skills better. Also you may want to make images link to larger down loadable versions that have your name and contact info on them. That way poeple that like it can save it to their hard drive and use it to contact you later.

Overall, very good, keep up the good work and good luck.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice portfolio as others have said, it looks really solid. You got some great hard surface stuff there, that tank is great and you've also taken all the way to finished product.

Some more breakdown would be great like said, but your content is really good so good luck finding an internship!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everybody, that's some great answers, and good advices (again) :)

movento: Thank you, about the tank, I did it earlier this year, and the primary target was the PSP (that's also why its polycount is rather low). And when I adapted the model for the nextgen I underestimated the use of a specular map, which I regret ;) I might do better maps for it this summer to enhance that piece a bit.

And yeah, not much companies in Belgium apart from the ones you told here.

tadpole3159: Thanks, the lighting ingame wasn't controlled by me since the car was exported using the default Rockstar's GTA SA Game(lighting direction and intensity is controlled by the collisions files which were original ones to be precise :)).

BradMyers82:
    Cheers, you're right about the comments dropped everywhere. That's something I should fix in order to make things clearer. And yeah, that tank piece is gonna need more work I think :\

jmchristopher: Great advices you tell me there, I'm gonna use all of them. I think you said it all, thanks for the crits. BTW, your portfolio rocks, and I can see the time spent on your breakdowns.

carlo_c: Thanks, as for the breakdowns, I think that's my main priority now before any deeper search for internships.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap, seems to me we just had a rush of talent come through here in the recent months, scary (in a good way).

I don't think I can really add to anything else that has already been said, but I do have to say that I'm really impressed with your work, good luck with the internship hunting.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Quand est-ce que tu reviens sur nofrag nous montrer tes cr
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    the tree you did for your Eden project looks phenomenal. You should post more of that so we can see how you did it.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    you should post texture of all Eden project, it looks great. One thing I saw is the warrior metal guy, it seems to me that his triangles are all weird, and not good for animating if someday needed.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie: Thanks, that means alot to me coming from you.

natetheartist: Yeah, the tree is one of the best piece in that map, I formatted recently so was unable to take screenshots of my sculpts and work pipeline for this object, until I get a hand on my Zbrush again to install it back.

bugo: Good ideas, i'll be making flats of all my textures too. Sure, it's something missing. As well as the character specular map :\.

The mesh was a bit hard to animate, yes, and it was a difficult character compared to normal clothed ones..

I will try to add all the suggestions soon ;)
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Looking great dude. I saw your last unreal map at last HEAJ's jury, very cool :)
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    Solid and better than the old one :)