Home General Discussion

what to do when real life takes over

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
man ive been busy recently, ontop of a pretty full on job, im getting a house i own upto renting standards (bah fukin economy etc etc) travellling to and from manchester regularly (GF + house) and then occasionally going to raves that last all weekend, my personal 3d is really suffering... how do you cope, where do your priorities lie, i mean i love 3d BUT a good house party is good for the soul, i love env art these days but i rarely get the year long uninterupted free time needed to pull of what i want... wbat the fuk

feel free to post kittens

Replies

• EarthQuake
    We just moved about 20 tons of bricks into our front yard to build a retaining wall and we are working on digging out all the trenches to lay it down. I'll do some 3d after i've had a couple week nap.

There is something fantastically rewarding in actually doing real work with your hands, building something that exists physically.

Its great to have a life, and tasks to do outside of work/art.
  • Rens
    real life.. hahaha!

there is no such thing.

my priority lies at art. its sad, it kills everything, but sometimes we need to sacrifice to achieve.

i havent build up much for myself outside all this, and i have kept it like that on purpose
    that way, its easy to make art my priority, but it also makes it easy to leave everything behind and get started somewhere else once i've achieved my goal
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    My priorities are all over the place. Right now I try to enjoy summer, but I have a shitload of stuff to do at work, and alot of personal projects I need to finish, trying to go to the gym 6 times a week, meeting people, party and relax. And sleep. Doesnt really work, so I cut down on sleep! *SMART* :D
  • LEViATHAN
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Nerds trying to justify not being behind the computer all day long.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    aye its hard work when the suns out
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    What Rens said really. I like to go to partys. Don't occur that often though. Never have any at my place. There's only my computer anyway. It's my working place, my temple...
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Enjoy it man, live it up.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    thing is you know you will go back to it man.
    I like a night out and sometimes go a full 3 hours without working:)
    The trick is to pace yourself. I have been working on this stuff since 1995 and still enjoy it. priorities do change though and sometimes its best to get away from the pc.
  • Campaignjunkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    I just got into a relationship recently and it's kind of killing my productivity. If only there were a way to have it both ways, you know? So far the only solution I've found is to savor what little free time I have and budget it into super efficient bursts of work - no more wandering aimlessly on the internet for me!... Bah who am I kidding...
  • IEatApples
    Hmmm, well still being a student all of your comments scare me about working in the industry... I love art really...
  • Parnell
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I've found by cutting back on sleep you can get a lot of 3D done. You'll just have to deal with being a zombie at work and living off coffee.
    I gotta agree with earthquake sometimes it's good to get away from 3D...in it makes you bust ass even more when you only have so little time to work on it.
    B
  • StrangeFate
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm unless you have kids, you should have more than enough time to do anything you desire, really.

There's a ton of 3d stuff i'd like to do too but at the end of the day, I do have plenty of time for it... if I'm not doing it is because it clearly has a lower priority than reading a book, going somewhere or staring out of the window.

I don't worry about it as should the time come when i'm really dying to do something, i'll just take the time to do it.

'Me' time is very important in a relationship, it can be scheduled, and so can computer time, 3d time, party time etc.
    If you do 3d at work, it shouldn't be a big issue to schedule 1 hour twice a week or so where you stay at work after 5 and do some undisturbed private work.

Either way, time is usually there, just requires some scheduling and the will to actually want to do something... if the will and priority are not there, you clearly have other things you prefer to do at the moment in which case, all is well and you're doing what you really want to do, and not what you feel you should want to do.

More likely than not, you'll outgrow whatever is eating up your time and then you'll have time for the next thing in line, be it 3d or whatever.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    everything in moderation is the key to a happy life. Of course that also means you need a bit of obsession/passion with art now and then, but not too much. Throw in an hour here and an hour there and you'll make some cool stuff faster than you think.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, sounds like a healthy thing to me Shep.

A good artist needs to live a little to understand the world around us. Can't do that if all you do is work. :P
  • bounchfx
    ITS NOT ABOUT HOW HARD YOU CAN HIT

ITS ABOUT HOW HARD YOU CAN GET HIT AN' KEEP ON GOIN'
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Can't be doing 3d all of the time. I'm lucky enough to have a 3d game art job that is 8 to 5 (mostly) that allows me time to have my weekends and evenings free. I love doing 3d art in my free time, but at the same time i spend a lot of time doing my other love, playing pool. It balances out nicely having friends and a life and going out and doing things so when I do decide to have a quiet night at the computer with some good music and work on stuff it's fun and relaxing.

I understand the frustration, I just moved into a new place and for a few weeks every part of my free time revolved around the new place. Even at work my mind was occupied with what I needed to do. This might sound weird, but when I don't have time to work on something that I want to, I'll visualize it in my head, and really go through the different steps, from how I'd model certain things, to how I'd unwrap it, so on and so on. Then when I do have time to sit down and work on it, I have a gameplan already and less roadblocks.
  • IEatApples
    Have any of you guys ever felt like you've had enough of 3D and would like to go down another path in life?
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    IEatApples - quite often I feel like that and I often feel that I would like to be a real human:) even after leaving the game industry I still wake up every day and do some 3d stuff
  • Stubbs
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    This is kinda similar to what some other people on here have said, but I personally feel that if I have a fun, satisfying social life then I get much more enjoyment out of doing 3d because the only healthy way to go about it is to find a balance. It can be hard to do this when you are a student at an art school or something of that nature and are working to get an industry job, but really that is that much more motivation to get an industry job. You work on 3d 8-9 hours a day and then you leave and do whatever you want. Sure there is the occasional crunch mode but those are temporary.

I feel that every aspect of life is connected. If you feel great about yourself physically and socially then you get more enjoyment out of doing 3d, if you enjoy 3d then you will get more fufillment out of aspects of your life outside of it. I think that for the most part a 3d artist shouldn't be asking his/herself whether they should choose 3d or a social life, rather they should be asking themself how to balance the two. It's really the only way.

If you are in a situation where you need a good industry job asap, perhaps you got laid off or something, then yeah, 3d should be your choice, but if you already have a good industry job then a healthy satisfying dose of both art and having fun outside of it is key.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Real life has already taken over the moment you wake up. What you choose to do between sleep sessions is all life. It will be a challenge, you need kittens

caturdayclassic.jpg

I've been out of work since December, doing contract gigs, getting rid of everything I don't need, selling my condo/cars/furniture, dealing with wife and kid and another kid due, preparing to move to another country and dealing with trying to get my visa in order. I am busy as fuck, but I still have time even if it's just 20~30 minutes to work on something.

Your art will never suffer if you keep on doing it. Change the types of projects you do. I do have a ton of free time now that the wife and kid are 4000 miles away :P
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    lovely kittens:)
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    heh, this reminds me that i'm starting to hate all related to 3d, due to the amount of work involved. Other kind of works don't need too much time to see something finished and OK.

3d can't be taken with moderation so easily, some projects are months of work and you apparently don't see light at the end of the tunnel hahaha :).

If you do 3d after work, huge 3d personal projects are not so good, you may end procrastinating and bored :P. 3D = time-consuming. For that reason i divide all my work in "stages", and i disconnect doing different things, fast to do, like to draw. A pencil and a paper do magic!

My advice is to disconnect and forget the computer as much as you can. I pass weeks of relax without doing anything with the computer after finishing a project (that's because i work in a freelance basis). Now that it's summer, go to beach, to the pool, ride a bike, do sports, go to cinema, make barbecues, read some books, play games, etc. but do something different to 3d. 3d produces too much "mental fatigue", and that's something bad. You may end avoiding the 3d (personal work), because you could feel it like something so annoying like to study. Anyone likes to study? :P

To find another hobby is also very good, and if it's manual the better. Here where i live i have a small orchard, and we like to plant potatoes, tomatoes,
    garlics, onions, peppers, etc. In winter i spent some time recolecting these nuts (better than Californian ones, but smaller, super tasty!):

n01.jpg

Monotony kills. Avoid that, organize your time :D

Procrastination is another problem U.U
    IEatApples wrote:
    Have any of you guys ever felt like you've had enough of 3D and would like to go down another path in life?

For me, It's more like: "i can see all things i imagine done in 3d", so they lose interest and i don't feel the need of start. Once you know how to do 3d, you must be very motivated to do something :). "3d just 4 fun" is nice when you don't work doing 3d XDD, and when you are young.

If 3d took you more than 10 years of your life, to gain a level, and then a job, to follow another path in the life is difficult. You can't go back so easily, because if you find that you don't like 3d after 10+ years, is time of your life you have lost.

Sorry if my expressions are not correct in english ^^', i hope you understand what i wrote hehe.

cheers
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    IEatApples wrote: »
    Having been out of work for over half a year now I wonder about this quite a bit. The problem is that I don't actually have any other skills, so I don't really know what I do.
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Having been out of work for over half a year now I wonder about this quite a bit. The problem is that I don't actually have any other skills, so I don't really know what I do.

Plumber, Carpenter, Cook, Electrician, Paramedic/Doctor. These are the jobs that Civilization will always need. If I were to do anything other than 3d or animation, I would choose one of those. No joke.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I'd try being a cop or a fireman. They seem like they'd be interesting for a bit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Being a cop would be great. While waiting by the side of the road to catch speeders you could model on the little police computer!
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    haha, i wouldnt be highway patrol. I'd be LAPD. I'm pretty sure they'd have me workin in compton.
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    There is something fantastically rewarding in actually doing real work with your hands, building something that exists physically.

Its great to have a life, and tasks to do outside of work/art.
    I have to agree 100% here. It feels like I can get more into my art after a day of physical work - not just because the exercise is healthy, but because doing something else gives the brain time to refresh.

We completely tore down a front covered deck (basically a thinly-walled room) and are now rebuilding in its place a livingroom addon at my uncle's house. It's been cool to see it come together - and along the way, for example, I can learn about the innards of a building, which could be useful at some point in game art.

So really, it's just life-enriching to get off the computer and do other things; if I've been without work for a while and the chance comes along to do something completely unrelated to computers (like construction) then I'm excited, 'cause I know for a fact that it's precisely the change of pace I need to get feeling motivated again.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Some of the best jobs I've had were manual labour. Landscaping, roofing, logging...just satisfying to look back on your day and physically see what you have accomplished. In that same vein, I've also wondered what it'd be like to be a butcher...though I doubt it's anything like I imagine it being. Maybe in the 1800's it'd be a different story :P

To stay on topic though, man, at the end of the day this is just a job. Blah, blah, blah, "it's the best job in the world" and all that shit, but still...it isn't everything. Doing completely non-work related things, and not things that would "inspire" you, actual relaxing will help you actually be productive when you do sit down to work....or you'll just end up like adam and smoke weed ALL the time, looking at your own hands <3
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, Dr. and architect were my backups. I always wanted to be a spy or a detective or work for the FBI. I can legally be a private investigator in the state of Texas. But something about looking for insurance fraud and cheating spouses isn't as alluring as it sounds.
    My advice is to disconnect and forget the computer as much as you can.
    My activities outside of work is autox and big track racing and working on cars/mechanical things. And I do those as much as I can. But I do like being in front of the computer making stuff when I am in the mood.
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    christ. Just stay alive and see what happens
  • Nick Carver
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I generally try and do personal work that is different to whatever I'm doing at work in order to keep things interesting. So, if I'm doing a lot of industrial design in my day job then I will go home and do some zbrush sculpting or masters studies from Sargent or whatever. One thing I've found that keeps me 'hungry' for art is trying to be as diverse as possible (without spreading myself too thinly). It's easy to get into the mindset that art = 3d realtime pieces (as an example), but there is so much out there to learn and be inspired by. And the more diverse your influences and skillset, the better your art will become. I also find I'm more productive in my spare time if I work on pieces that I can wrap up in a few evenings at most. I lose motivation if a piece drags on for weeks and most things I'm doing in my free time are learning excercises anyway.

Also, I've found that I really need a clear distinction between work time and personal art time in order to stay motivated for the personal work. While I was freelancing a few months back I pretty much stopped doing any artwork for fun because I found it really hard to go back to my desk after I'd spent the whole day there. It's strange, but now I'm back in a studio job I find it a lot easier to come home, make dinner/go for a run etc. and then get back on the computer and do another couple of hours and I really enjoy it. I also think that just being around like-minded people again has been very healthy. The life of a freelance artist can be very isolating, in my experience at least.

I do also agree that you have to have a life outside of art. My wife and I love to travel and we visit new places whenever we can. Having interests that are completely unrelated to your work is very beneficial and may well feed back into your artwork anyway! So yeah, enjoy your art and enjoy your life, or something that sounds inspiring!

Ta, Nick.
  • Vitor
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Well that is something that I've been worried about since I started working on 3d.

So when I had to chose a course to study I tryed to choose something I liked that had nothing to do with games, art, computers or whatever. Now I'm a part time freelance artist and a medical school student (2 more years to finish). When I get tired of one I dedicate more time to the other, I just finish my final year exams of this year and you can bet how much I'm tired of that, so I'm starting some freelance works now on summer vacations =)

it works for me at least.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I haven't been employed as a modeler yet, but after two years of intense classes and schoolwork, I always put "real-life" first. Just like right now, I'm home from a night of partying and drinking (the reason for any grammar mistakes in this post). I can spend all day, any day, working on art on the computer, but partying, going out, enjoying life, that stuff comes and goes. Embrace it while you can.

The physical jobs I've had in the past entailed moving and sorting heavy boxes in bleak warehouses. I hated it, and the worst days of sitting on your computer doing art are better than the days doing those thankless, tough, jobs.

I do worry that for the first couple of years as a junior I will be worked to the bone, but it will probably still be somewhat rewarding. Just don;t let the work define you.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    start to cook "properly"! you'll get a bit of everything. a bit of praise for great food from friends, a bit of butchering and gardening as you become more conscious of what you eat (you'll want to get your own produce and buy as big a piece of meat as you can get your hands on which has been raised properly) and the girls like it aswell :D
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I have had other jobs . for example i was in the Royal military police, metropolitan police cadets and was a trainee accountant, retail worker amongst others.

All of these were totally unsuitable for my kind of personality. 3d is heaven in comparison.

I mean, you get to sit on your arse all day and make cool stuff
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    divi wrote: »
    start to cook "properly"! you'll get a bit of everything. a bit of praise for great food from friends, a bit of butchering and gardening as you become more conscious of what you eat (you'll want to get your own produce and buy as big a piece of meat as you can get your hands on which has been raised properly) and the girls like it aswell :D

Man, I didn't learn many things as a games art student at uni, but I sure learned how to cook after almost 3 years of eating the same shitty pizzas from kebab shops. Cooking is a very enjoyable activity and the "girls like it as well" part is very, very true.
  • IEatApples
    t4paN wrote: »
    Man, I didn't learn many things as a games art student at uni, but I sure learned how to cook after almost 3 years of eating the same shitty pizzas from kebab shops. Cooking is a very enjoyable activity and the "girls like it as well" part is very, very true.

Just starting my 4th year of my Computer Art course and I'm still at that stage of shitty pizzas from kebab shops *shudder*. My girlfriend tries to teach me how to cook but I think I just prefer eating the finished product...

I'm forced to have a healthy balance of social and 3D at uni, I have no TV and no internet (two very time consuming things) so I just have to sit doing art all day to occupy myself which isn't a bad thing I guess. When I get bored of doing work there's always one flatmate willing to go out.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Mate don't expect to learn how to cook from your girlfriend. Just google some Gordon Ramsey recipes, I've tried this one - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/gordon_ramsay/article1660232.ece - a few times and whoever tasted it were blown away.

There's some really simple but great stuff on the nets about cooking.
  • ArYeS
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    If I couldn't do 3D, I would be vigilante, dressed in black robe chasing criminals with chainsaw...

but still 3D is better :P

Hmm... I got to try this thing once... maybe its more fun than 3D?
  • 7point83hertz
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    man ive been busy recently, ontop of a pretty full on job, im getting a house i own upto renting standards (bah fukin economy etc etc) travellling to and from manchester regularly (GF + house) and then occasionally going to raves that last all weekend, my personal 3d is really suffering... how do you cope, where do your priorities lie, i mean i love 3d BUT a good house party is good for the soul, i love env art these days but i rarely get the year long uninterupted free time needed to pull of what i want... wbat the fuk.

So basically you are asking help in choosing between lobster and caviar huh?
    i agree, life can be hard my friend.

you probably should just be nice to yourself and give yourself a real treat. like, get out and have fun oooor do something for the soul like art, oooor get a GF.

sheesh, high level crying here.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    t4paN wrote: »
    Mate don't expect to learn how to cook from your girlfriend. Just google some Gordon Ramsey recipes, I've tried this one - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/gordon_ramsay/article1660232.ece - a few times and whoever tasted it were blown away.

There's some really simple but great stuff on the nets about cooking.

ramsay is okay. i prefer heston though :D bit more complicated, but the results are worth it... i suppose... if you have too much time... :| loved the steak.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    If all you ever do is make 3D then you'll have a very narrow focus of ideas.

It's like how hollywood always produces a few self-referntial movies that are about movie writers or actors.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i'm building a byrnie!
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I played paintball with 140ish people 70vs70ish, it was awesome, and yesterday I was on a party at the beach filled with Swedish girls, all for the sake of work and creativity! I should get another raise *sigh
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Honestly, I barely touch art outside work these days. I'm raising my son, gym time, partying & spending time with friends, dating, and the time @ home is mostly spent spacing out watching netflix. Maybe when the weather goes to crap I will start up again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Enjoy it. Work on stuff when you can, I stay up late or get up early a few days a week. But really you're doing what you like no need to over do it.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still in that phase of "must get better, suck to much right now" to even consider getting a "real" life. I think what balances me out is my friends / roomies who I can hang out with whenever, talk about stupid shit with, and drink vast amounts of alcohol with... the other thing that helps is no girlfriend *lamesauce

The one thing that I've found over these past months though, is that I'm much more energized / focused on 3D and being creative in general, and its all thanks to being around you crazy talented people.

As long as I continue to visit polycount, there will ALWAYS be a drive for me to get better, because there is always constant (friendly) competition from everyone, and I would have it no other way.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHA good read, i think my problem these days, and it is "high level crying" is that i have a good but hectic social life, girlfriend in another city, a pretty interesting job, but i still want improve, im not where i want to be (ruling the world ;-) and the snippets of time just are not enough to do the projects i want to.

reading a few of your comments i think i need to change what i want to do as a project, i love the big env but it aint going to be possible, so maybe im going to start fucking drawing again. cos alot of the stuff i want to get out of me 'ead is ideas, that i normally make into 3d or never finish, so concepting and painting is much better time wise, and fuck it i get all the env. practice i could ever want at work

now im off climbing and then gonna make a mean veg chillie and fuk the 3d off for another day :-)

hmmm might go via the wacom shop