Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop # 2- OBlastradiusO

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
Here's what I have so far. My plan is the model each piece using the seams in the reference as guidelines. Then will mirror some of the pieces.

sampic3.jpg

Replies

• OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update. I had to do the body over because the work flow just wasn't workin. On the main body what I did was take a plane and cut it up and move the points around until it looked like the back of the saw. I did the same thing with the front of the saw and bridged the two planes together. After that then I cut and moved some of the points and edges to shape the middle part of the saw. If there a better way to model the body of this tell me. So far this method got the job done.

Some Ngons had to be made but only on flatten parts of the model.

sampic4.jpg

sampic5.jpg
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update

sampic6.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    Swanky :D

Thanks. The front part of the saw has to be a separate high poly mesh because of the high amount of detail on that grill part. After extruding and cutting the front part I optimized it back down to med poly.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah its really important to focus on keeping your blockout simple, and focus on flow instead of adding in a bunch of extra edges and all of that stuff. In those first shots one of the big things there is you have all these extra edges for rounding out the handle that just do not need to be there, and would be better smoothed by sub-d instead of having so much geo anyway.

But its a good lesson to learn. The new bits you've posted are looking much better. Try not to focus too much on each section and keep your eyes on the overall picture. =D
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah its really important to focus on keeping your blockout simple, and focus on flow instead of adding in a bunch of extra edges and all of that stuff. In those first shots one of the big things there is you have all these extra edges for rounding out the handle that just do not need to be there, and would be better smoothed by sub-d instead of having so much geo anyway.

But its a good lesson to learn. The new bits you've posted are looking much better. Try not to focus too much on each section and keep your eyes on the overall picture. =D

Thanks. Ill definitely keep that in mind.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished with the overall look. Now onward to the detailing.

sampic7.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the low + textures. Came out really nice man.
  • slave_one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slave_one polycounter lvl 18
    Nice BlastO! Looks like it can do some damage!
  • Pomperi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pomperi polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet! Some great progress so far :)
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally done with this hi poly. This was a real challenge, but I learned a lot on how to go about my work flow next time. The modeling could have been done a bit cleaner. Now onward again to the low poly bake.

sampic8.jpg
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to be using this chain for my bake.

sampic8a.jpg
  • slave_one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slave_one polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! Now heat up the oven!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey great job dude, congrats on getting the full thing done! I'm sure i could find a few minor nit picks to make, but the exercise was more about the overall model and yours looks good. Now the real test will be how well you can translate all of your detailing to the lowpoly mesh, good luck!
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm starting to bake the normals now, but getting those pesky normal errors. Here what Ive gotten so far. I didn't need to really bevel the edges because most of the edges are not angled at 90 degrees avoiding black creased edges. So I'm wondering should I have the mesh all quads to avoid these smoothing errors? Any suggestions?

sampic9.jpg
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    do you have an edit normals mod on your low? should help with the smoothing errors.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk wrote: »
    do you have an edit normals mod on your low? should help with the smoothing errors.

It's been a while since I used edit normals. Can you refresh my memory?
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just put that modifier on the low with the viewport shader applied. should fix some of those errors. couldnt tell you what it does tech wise. works kind like a relax on the normals to make em snap into place or something. make pretty mod is what i call it. heh.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forget it. I'm going hard edges to bake out the normals. It's just giving me a way better map. Even though I heard hard edge can blow up your vertex count.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hard edges or not it will still improve your normals. hard edges up your vert count if you dont have them on uv seams. you could just add edge loops and have some better control on 1 smoothe group.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    wel you do have kind of 90 degree angles, the insets inside angles and the outer angle kind of add up at the corners creating an angle too large to smooth propperly, with stuff lik ethis i often make the inside shallower or less angled than the highpoly, can often mean that you can get away with it without resorting to smoothing groups
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    wel you do have kind of 90 degree angles, the insets inside angles and the outer angle kind of add up at the corners creating an angle too large to smooth propperly, with stuff lik ethis i often make the inside shallower or less angled than the highpoly, can often mean that you can get away with it without resorting to smoothing groups

Actually making the inside insets without smoothing group helped a bit. Thanks Shep.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk wrote: »
    hard edges or not it will still improve your normals. hard edges up your vert count if you dont have them on uv seams. you could just add edge loops and have some better control on 1 smoothe group.

After some experimenting. This edge loop method works best because putting an extra edge loop next to main edges reduces smoothing errors. This is working out fine now.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to call it quits. Wanted to finish this low poly bake early but things got in the way that created messes. So here's the final product. All 4,688 polys of it, and all critiques are welcomed to tear this apart! Textures are 1024 by 512 BTW. Onward to workshop 3!

sampic9a.jpg

sampic9b.jpg
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Well, it has been a long work, and can be clearly seen. There are problems in smoothing, but I cannot tell why. Anyway, congratulations for reaching the end, see you on the next gory workshop :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The biggest issue here is that the uvs could have been packed together *much* better, as you've got kind of an overall blurry end result, this is very important. You could have mirrored a few things, but generally just scaling everything up and puzzling it together better would have given a decent amount more detail.

Looks like you could stand to paint out the AO errors from the floating bits too, that would help a lot. I would suggest turing on multi-sampling in max, or rendering double size and sizing down to get rid of some of the aliasing as well.

There are a few other things that are obvious, bake errors and such, but if you cleaned up the first two points above, i think you'de have a much stronger final result. Congrats on getting it done, and apply what you've learned to the next one!
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I baked this in xnormal, but yeah I tried to scale things up to get a much sharper result but things wouldn't fit right. Should I have scaled the more bigger uv chunks up a bit more than the little chunks to get more room? As for the the smoothing errors I got rid of most of them just by adding extra edges on the sides of the mesh to get rid of the dark errors on the sides. Thank for the critique though. I'll fix this up later.