Home General Discussion

Pontypool film

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/pontypool/

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/pontypool/

I saw Pontypool at the last night of the Edinburgh Film Festival, and if you get the chance to catch this then I implore you to go. I think it's already had a theatrical release in Canada and it's due out in the UK in October.

It's based on the book Pontypool Changes Everything and the director says that it's part one in hopefully a trilogy.

It's a zombiesque film, but deals with them as infected people, and in many respects it's like the original War of the Worlds radio broadcast with a DJ trying to report the growing situation live on air from eyewitness reports.

With it's (almost) lack of onscreen zombie hordes ripping people to shreds, no guns and no massive CG explosions it won't end up in a huge multiplex, but it's guaranteed to be a cult classic.

Replies

• Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I got high hopes for that movie. I heard about it a long time ago, but since it's stuck in festival hell, with no dvd release in sight, haven't had a chance to see it.

I'm a major horror movie nut, and hearing about great horror movie's getting stuck in festival hell pisses me off big time. I wanna see these gems, but there's no festivals near me that I could afford to go too. Another movie I'm looking forward to someday seeing, that's been in festival hell for years is, Paranormal Activity. If I remember right, it was written and directed by a game developer. And here's hoping AntriChrist doesn't fall victim to the same hell the other two have.

Back on the light side, I'm glad you got to see it. It does look like a lot of fun.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I think the festival showings are due to it being difficult to find a distributor for independent films. I saw 4 films this year, all were spectacular and I doubt if any will see a major theatrical release which is a shame. Last year I was lucky enough to see Red, and at the Scottish Baftas Brian Cox was lamenting the difficulties in getting smallers films out to the audiences.

Back to Pontypool - it supposed to be out on DVD at the end of July.

I'll add this to the Moon thread, but Moon won best new British feature film.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, that looks great, dunno how I haven't heard of it before now. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    It is confusing to me how many good movies get stuck in festivals, waiting years for distribution, while so many direct to dvd shitfests show up on rental and store shelves nationwide.

Well, I'm psyched that pontypool is getting the dvd treatment at the end of july. That's great news, and I'll be picking me up a copy for sure.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Doubt this is going to show anywhere near where I am, but I'm glad to hear of the DVD release, so will see about getting that, cheers for the heads up, never heard of this before.