Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Minotaur0

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Minos polycounter lvl 16
Hello guys!

I've been doing lots of concept paintings lately. I'd love to hear some crits on them.

(Most recent ones on top)

sp_021_spacecraft02.jpg
sp_018_spacecraft.jpg
sp_014_lab.jpg
sp_013_alley_final.jpg
sp_010_thumb01.jpg
007_glacial.jpg

I also created a deviantart account, if you guys wanna check it: http://thiagoklafke.deviantart.com

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I dig your colors.

now do more
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Most of them remind me of Mass effect. Lovely, especially the second one.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    tnx guys =)

@skayne: Really glad to hear that, that was one of my goals with that one =)

Aiight, tonight's sketch. I decided to do a series of speed paintings to try new compositions and color palettes. I'll also try to be as loose as I can, to get a better sense of big picture rather than focusing on tiny little details. There's no point in going micro if you can't get the basics first :o

This is the first one. It's called Strange Planet and it took about 2H

My main focus here wasn't the subject itself, but shadows and scale, as I felt I'm kind of lacking in these areas.

sp_022_strangeplanet.jpg
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    thanks a lot skayne!

Alright, here's a WIP of something I want to work on more and possibly make a scene in unreal based on it.

sp_023_rockyplanet_wip03.jpg
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    One thing that I think would help these is the amount of detail in specific areas. Right now it looks as though you kind of have the same level of detail thought the image and that's fine but unless everything is all rendered and polished it makes them look kind of noisy.

What you could do is spend less time on some areas and more time on others. This would make certain things look better and draw the viewers eye to important structures and details in addition to giving the viewer a chance to see what it might look like if you really pushed the entire image without having to do all that work.

Clever use of this idea will have great results, you see it all the time in concept art.

Also, put more STUFF in the environments. A few clean ones are fine, but all your environments seam so sterile. You even managed to make that creep alley way one clean. Some junk and random props would help fill out the scene and make for more interesting composition. You could even put some stuff in the foreground to cover up parts you don't want to do.

Aside from that I agree with the comment made earlier about the colors, they are great. You have a good thing going keep making more.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    jocose wrote: »
    One thing that I think would help these is the amount of detail in specific areas. Right now it looks as though you kind of have the same level of detail thought the image and that's fine but unless everything is all rendered and polished it makes them look kind of noisy.

What you could do is spend less time on some areas and more time on others. This would make certain things look better and draw the viewers eye to important structures and details in addition to giving the viewer a chance to see what it might look like if you really pushed the entire image without having to do all that work.

Clever use of this idea will have great results, you see it all the time in concept art.

Also, put more STUFF in the environments. A few clean ones are fine, but all your environments seam so sterile. You even managed to make that creep alley way one clean. Some junk and random props would help fill out the scene and make for more interesting composition. You could even put some stuff in the foreground to cover up parts you don't want to do.

Aside from that I agree with the comment made earlier about the colors, they are great. You have a good thing going keep making more.

Thanks a lot for the crits man, prioritizing certain areas is definitely one thing I should do more!

I often get too carried out with small details before settling a good composition. I know that's an amateur'ish mistake and I'll be doing my best to avoid in the next paintings =)
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    One small step for a man...

sp_024_apollo11.jpg

My homage to the 40 years of the first lunar landing =)

Based on this picture of Buzz Aldrin assembling some experiments.

You can find other Apollo 11 pictures here.

Make sure to check out other Apollo missions pictures as well, they are awesome! I specially love the ones with the lunar vehicle.

about 1.5 ~2 H
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my favorite is your second one on the first post, great lighting
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    tnx Alec3d

Last night's sketch: Trying some different techniques and palette.

Jungle_Facility_by_thiagoklafke.jpg
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Hi all. Posting this new painting here for those of you not following the Unearthly Challenge threads:
    sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02.jpg

sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step1.jpg
    sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step2.jpg
    sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step3.jpg
    sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step4.jpg
    sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step5.jpg
    sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step6.jpg
    sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step7.jpg
    sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step8.jpg
    sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step9.jpg
    sp_036_UnearthlyChallenge09_02_step10.jpg
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    New paiting! Scavangers in a deserted town. This is sort of based on the day after tomorrow movie.

sp_040_snowcity.jpg
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    New one! Quick sketch for a UDK scene I'm working on. This is more of an attempt to set a mood rather than defining shapes (which are already modeled and placed in UDK).

Sci_fi_Corridor_by_thiagoklafke.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice arts!! Your work reminds me of Starwars....for some reason.

Thanks for sharing. :)
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice i like your ideas