Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UT3 Instagib Map CTF-Battery

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
I put this together over the past month, mostly the last two weeks, to educate myself in how to use the Unreal Editor. Mainly, I wanted to take something from start to finish. So I chose a small Instagib CTF map.

UT3_CTF-Battery1.jpg

UT3_CTF-Battery2.jpg

UT3_CTF-Battery3.jpg

UT3_CTF-Battery4.jpg

The map was designed with Instagib in mind. I wanted it close range, with constant action. This demonstrates how it plays with bots.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cGZwuJK0Y8[/ame]

And for anyone who wants to try it (test it), the files can be downloaded here:

http://willc3d.com/files/UT3_CTF-Battery.zip UPDATED

I began with a simple idea loosely based off my memory of a small "Fun Map" I played in UT2k4 several years ago. Some of my favorites matches have been with simple, instagib maps that ignored visual details.

Thanks to 3Dbuzz, and Hourences for great tutorials. And of course, thanks Epic for providing fun to use tools.

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool ElysiumGX, seems like it would be a great map to have some quick fun in.

Was this your first time playing around with UE3?
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Whats the specific difference in creating a normal ctf map and a instaGib one? That not sarcastic or what, it just came to my mind that I have no idea...

Did you use any custom meshs/models?
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Looks very fun!
    Im with u the simple maps are much more "captivating"

cheers!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i guess in this sense, instaGib means that the flags are so close that players will be gibbing each other senseless trying to even get close :P
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jason: I often play around with the UE tools, since 2k4. Usually only importing custom assets in to see how they render. This is my first attempt at completing something others can play, just for fun and education. I normally use Hammer.

@acapulco: one simple custom material saved for the Map package. nothing big. my next level will be all custom, now that I understand how it works.

@ultra: I played many "fun maps" during Q3 and UT2k4 times, and would often walk away from the keyboard sweating. quite a rush sometimes.

@almighty_gir: exactly. :P I wish bombing run was still in.

The default map has Shock Rifles and Health Pickups. Still fun. I'd like to see real players trying this level. It's also playable with the new Greed gametype. I wish Bombing Run was still in, instead of the mod.

Thanks guys.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    mate, from the looks of it it's a great little map.
    i can't test it right now, but i will do soon. =]
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    gameplay, fast and furious. Map would make a great 1 on 1 map with a little tweaking. If you could drop the floor and make another level, add more Z-axis this CTF map would be even better.

Graphics side, I'm not a fan of everything being the same colored lighting. Look at any UT3 community bonus packs for example, they all decorate the level with meshes and different lighting. Not sure if you going to go back to this map and redo any of it, but I think an overall polish pass could make this even better.

I did a quick polish pass on 1 on the sides to show you what you can do with unreal lighting and adding meshes for details. Dark levels are for L4D or Gears, UT3 is all about making interesting environments using the modular pieces.

battery_paintover.jpg

If you need any mapping help, you know how to ask :)
    -Lee
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like these changes. Definitely more appealing. I especially like the placement of decorative assets behind the flag. Thanks for the help, Lee. I'll see what I can do. We should collaborate on something soon.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update. Added more lighting and decorative meshes.

CTF-Battery.jpg

Video of default gameplay.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1hguc78OtM[/ame]

New Download Link:

http://willc3d.com/files/UT3_CTF-Battery.zip

Feeling confident and prepared for the Unearthly Challenge, so I will call this project complete.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    the level looks nice dude, much better!
    making levels is so much fun, and fuuck i love me the music in unreal 3 so hard.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    much better! I expect the next level to be filled with color, decoration and style.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looks much better. I like how your cap zone stays blueish. Lee3Dee's version got a little too yellow. But all those maps up top really help bring out details and make it pop.