Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Base Male

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Valandar polycounter lvl 18
Okay, I guess it's time to actually show NORMAL type projects, I've lurked and occasionally surfaced long enough. So, of course, I start it off by working on a base human figure.

I'm pretty happy with most (though not all) of it, but there's one part that REALLY is grinding my gears... and that's the topology of the hip / butt area, especially from the rear.

05vrioevnev8dx8hl832rp3cc97go0-full.jpg

2pl5ib6expwdxmqf1stcwyb615vxv9-full.jpg

As you can see, it's currently sitting at 3018 tris (and as yet is unmapped - until I fix that hip topology, I don't want to map it.

And, yes, I know I need to get rid of that little polar "spoke" thing at the tip of his toes. :P

Are there any suggestions on that area? And any further comments you may have?

Replies

• Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    What is this a base for, in-game or sculpting? If it's in-game you need some more loops around the joints for deformation, and the poly distribution isn't very efficient. If it's a sculpting base all those triangles are going to give you problems.

The forms and proportions look great though, good job. This might help with the hip topology.
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, this is mostly just a personal project in general, trying to learn how to properly do human figures. I'm moderately confident on my anatomy, it's mostly the topology I'm worried about.

As for the poly distribution... yeah, I kinda skimped just a bit on the arms and legs, didn't I? I was mostly concerned about the torso topology to be honest.