Home General Discussion

Max Payne 3

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
He looks more pissed off in this one. Looks very similar to John McClane to me. Very different visually than the first two. Might be a good game.

maxpayne31.jpg

maxpayne32.jpg

maxpayne33.jpg

maxpayne34.jpg

maxpayne35.jpg

Replies

• Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Links not working :(
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert wrote: »
    Links not working :(

Links fixed!
  • FicWill
    Offline / Send Message
    FicWill polycounter lvl 17
    This game looks great, apart from the little 'Max Payne 3' title in the lower corner.
    If it said 'Uncharted: Vlad's Rampage' it'd be more understandable.

The guy doesn't look like Max, we've lost the dirty noir NY underground in favor of technicolor jungle, mobsters have become generic ethnic terrorists... I don't know what Remedy's up to here.
  • EarthQuake
    Looks terrible, not what i would expect from a Max Payne game in a million years.
  • [Deleted User]
    FicWill wrote: »
    I don't know what Remedy's up to here.
    That's the thing. It's not Remedy.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Looks terrible, not what i would expect from a Max Payne game in a million years.

Yeah. I dunno. I have mixed felling about the looks of this game. On one hand I don't mind the way Payne looks here. He's gotten older and looks a bit more rougher than in the first two. In the second game he looked a bit like Harry Callahan from the "dirty harry" films. The atmosphere is what I have a real problem with although I did get a bit tired of the gritty New York look, but on the other hand that sets the overall mood of the game's theme. It seems a bit odd that they would stray FAR away from that moody atmosphere.
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Agreed. Not Payne.
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    This is dumb and bad. It's not Noir, Max doesn't look like Max, AND IT'S IN THE FUCKING DAYTIME.

Hopefully DX3 doesn't end up this retarded.
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    These shots just don't strike me as interesting or cool. Art's good, but no.
  • MachineMinded
    Looks more like Die Hard 5.0: The Game than anything else. Way to fuck up a cool franchise. :(
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    LOL wtf is dat?
    i would call it Abdulla Payne 3.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    im actually interested, why is he on Brasil for starters ? im sure the story will be on the spot ( at least i hope ) and from his new look you can see hes been having an even harder time since MP2 .Looking forward to it.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    hmmm i dunno why is it so uncharted?
    i kinda miss the dark corrupt city which totally defined the game and story to me :/
  • Rox
    There's so many things speaking against this game, it'll be a miracle if I end up liking it...

First, and most importantly, it's not Remedy. Second, that doesn't look anything like Max. Third, no New York, no mobsters, no corrupt cops. Fourth, cover system. Fifth, new voice actor, too!

The ONLY thing left of the original from what we've seen so far is the name. We have a new character in a new setting with new gameplay elements made by a new developer.

I really don't get the cover system. Sure, well made cover systems are a pleasure to use, but not all games need them. It was a long time since I played it, but from what I can remember of the original two games, I often ran into problems that a cover system would have solved, but I had to make bullet time solve instead. Two guys around a corner and a third one on the upper floor behind them? What to do? If I was playing Rainbow Six Vegas, I would've used the generous cover system to blind-fire the first two in the face, then lean out and tap the last guy in the head. But in Max Payne I couldn't do that! So instead, I throw myself out, nail the closest guys in the face before even landing, then stay on the ground while bullet time wears off to spray wildly in the direction of the third one until he goes down. That's the kind of gameplay I want. No cowering. When things go wrong, it should be because I'm not throwing myself around enough.
  • Daaark
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    conte wrote: »
    LOL wtf is dat?
    i would call it Abdulla Payne 3.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

He looks nothing like Max Payne. He looks middle eastern. What happened to the film noir look and feel?
    Max Payne 3
    In Name Only

It looks so much like Max Payne, that they need to tell us that it's Max Payne on each image. You would think that a proper Max Payne sequel would be so evident, that we'd be able to tell just by looking at it that it was Max Payne.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    so, you guys just uprooted the entire mood eh?
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Good post Rox. Also, imagine that fat ass bastard in those screen shots trying to do bullet time flips and dives - they are going to need some high quality blubber simulation going on.
  • [Deleted User]
    Johny wrote: »
    im actually interested, why is he on Brasil for starters ? im sure the story will be on the spot ( at least i hope ) and from his new look you can see hes been having an even harder time since MP2 .Looking forward to it.
    From what I remember of the magazine scans, he's working as a bodyguard or something.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think there's still a pretty good chance of it being a decent title. Rockstar have rarely put a foot wrong in the past. I do agree that it seems like a peculiar and perhaps unfortunate move to drop so much of what defined the previous games. I can dig a new setting and an older Payne, but surely they could have made a little more effort to make him look like his predecessor. I don't care how much aging, pill popping, tequila drinking and weight lifting he's done, that doesn't look like Max Payne.

As for the Noir thing, theres no reason why they couldn't do it with this setting. It's evidently not what they're going for, but with some careful use of lighting, shadow and a whole lot of post, it could have been done.

I'm not sure about the cover system. I think It could work reasonably well if the player wasn't given a chance to camp for too long - if the enemies were good enough at flanking and tossing grenades and it was really only feasible to duck down for a moment to reload or allow your bullet time to build up again before leaping out into the fray it could be ok.

On a side note, I wonder how he managed to get that cut on the side of his head. It's not exactly in a shape one would expect from... anything really.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    He could have been kidnapped and brought to some hellhole in South America. Who knows why they picked this setting.
  • Murdoc
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    I think if they can pull it all together it could be pretty ok, but people are right it's no max payne; it'll probably feel more like it when they get the script together and a voice to monologue everything.

But it's a ways away, so there's always hope.
  • osman
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Is it based on the GTA4 engine? Anyone know that?
  • Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    It could still turn out to be a great game, but it is a strange move to take a game that is a direct tribute (and part send-up) to noir york crime dramas and put it in a country that is visually the polar opposite of everything noir - sunny tropical locale, carnival, beaches, etc.

I have a hunch that some higher-ups saw City of God and decided they wanted that out of their game. That's fine but they're diluting their brand a bit.
  • Daaark
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I think the game looks great and have faith in Rockstar to deliver some good gameplay as well. I'll reserve judgement as to whether or not it is a Max Payne game or not until I play it. If they manage to pull off establishing the noir mood and feel, awesome. Whether or not it is "Max Payne" I am confident it will be a fun game.
  • Mark Dygert
    Yea, not sure where they are taking it, yet. While I'd like nothing more than a spoonful of the same old grit I've already had, I wouldn't mind getting a little fry cry mixed in with my Max Payne if its done well.

Its a definite departure but it's not worth writing it off this early.

"That doesn't look like MAX!"
    "How can you tell? 95% of the shots are of his back, and he grew a beard."

Qestion:
    When people go into hiding whats the first thing they do to disguise their appearance?

Answer:
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The only thing really film noir about Max Payne in the past as been the cut scenes and static art. Sure, it always took place at night. But that's really about it.

max_screen010.jpg

Max Payne 2 wasn't some super stylized game here guys. It tried to look as realistic as possible for that time. Art wise, I think MP3 looks fine.

What concerns me are the drastic changes everywhere else. Very different story, new voice actor, new writer, new studio. That's too many places for something to go wrong. Without Remedy at the helm I can't say I'm 100% confident in the title being good. But I'll hold my judgment until I can play it.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i am sure it will be fun, but lets not kid ourselves, they are using the well established Max Payne name to sell an uncharted clone, if this was just called "jungle beard" or "unscathed" people wouldn't care as much and there wouldn't be a thread about it here.

Throw a name on it people have heard about and the hype creates itself.
  • Daaark
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think anyone said it would be a bad game. It's just doesn't seem like a Max Payne game, so far.
  • [Deleted User]
    He could have been kidnapped and brought to some hellhole in South America. Who knows why they picked this setting.
    Anyone who read the article
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Prince of Persia syndrome at work here by the looks of it. Take a lovable wisecracking mass murderer and harden him the fuck up for not reason at all, losing his identity in the process.

No thanks.
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I'm in the "where the fuck is the link with Max payne's world?" boat. Damn, how can you change such a great (and NOT common) artistic direction into this... commercial thing.

And I even really don't care if the game has good (reused *cover*) gameplay or not. Max Payne is all about the mood ! Film noir, rainy/wet streets, crazy vilain, cigarettes, strange dreams and darkness !

(For some reason the last Batman game gave me some of these feelings, btw !)

/me wants a "how it should be" petition ! :p

/cry
  • Mark Dygert
    Wasn't Max Payne more about bullet time? Didn't the first one take place during a blizzard?
  • FicWill
    Offline / Send Message
    FicWill polycounter lvl 17
    It looks like this was a different project that was hastily re-branded.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Vig - Yes, it was about bullet time, which doesn't quite fit with cover. Yes, it was a blizzard - it's always bad weather in Max Payne.

To be honest, I don't think there's any way you could get a good MP3. The story was already rounded off at the end of Max Payne, and MP2 struggled hard to actually shape the remaining characters into a story (Mona somehow survived being shot in the headand Vinnie Gognitti survived being shot up and left to die in an alley). The base story isn't nearly as good as the first's, but the execution saves it. At the end of it, though, he has a sort of happy end; either Mona dies and he comes to accept everything, or Mona lives and he lives happily ever after. Either way - "I cracked my case. All of it."

As much as I'm trying not to be a canon monkey, I do think Max Payne's story is, well, over. All the loose ends are tied up. There's really no reason to call it Max Payne 3 other than to snare in people who liked the first two games. Which is rather disrespectful.

Oh well, Max Payne 1 & 2 are so amazingly replayable that I'll still play them more in the future than I would've played MP3.
  • kendo
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18

I loved the first 2, they were the first games i ever modded, and i was worried when remedy took a back seat. This is even less max payne than the film, 4 thumbs down.
  • doc rob
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    10 page article about it in the new game informer
    http://www.gossipgamers.com/max-payne-3-details-high-res-scans/

This looks sooo bad already. And I mean, really really bad.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think it would really take that much to make it jive with the stylistic expectations. A little post color correction, some weather, and I can see it.

2uyhp90.jpg
    2vwwn76.jpg
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Why are games taking place in the jungle these days? Max Payne shouldn't look like your average Pablo Dominguez either :[
  • Nostradamus
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    Grand Theft Payne: San Paolo Stories.

*puke*
  • CrazyMatt
    No offense to anyone on this board who has been working on this game...But...WTF?

Seriously this is NOT Max Payne whatsoever!
    I don't know what wrongwing nut job was in charge of this game. Because it looks like the new Splinter-cell combined with Die Hard.

This game should have ended at 2.

To me I see this day and age that video game companies are trying to outrule their franchises in competition with movies. After 1 or 2 games it's usually enough when the story has been hard pressed to conclude themselves. But this #3 (max payne) for example...its all fucked.

Certiantly you could continue max on a 3rd journey in the dark new york atmospheric senario. But this new one is just down right spoiled rotten with stench I care not to breathe.
    -My 2 cents.
  • Pedro Amorim
    i could trash talk this game.. but i will play it eitherway. so will you guys. so zip it
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I was really pumped for this game when I first heard it was in production and to be honest, I still am pumped for the game. I don't think Rockstar are going to make this a bad game at all.
    However, I do agree with the majority here in regards to this not looking like a Max Payne game. My first impression was that it seems like a GTA IV exp or something.

I honestly don't get why people are bitching about the cover system. There's a cover system in GTA, which I love! It wasn't a major part of the gameplay, but it was there if you wanted to use it, and it has saved my ass in gun fights plenty of times (I played with auto-aim disabled).
    I remember in the earlier Max Payne games I would usually hide behind a door way and tumble the camera around to see where enemies were and formulating a plan of action, before activating bullet time and just diving into the room guns blazing. So I can see myself doing the same thing, but with a proper cover system.

I will miss the whole New York/Noir/Mobsters feel of the previous Max Payne games, but I know I'll love this one just as much.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cover systems seem like a console thing to me.. on pc gta4, I played without using cover (system) the whole way through and aced 99% of the fights

infact, specifically with the rocket launcher, the cover system was a massive liability
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Bitmap wrote:
    so will you guys.
    I've heard that before, but it's never been true. I only buy about three games a year.
    caseyjones wrote:
    I honestly don't get why people are bitching about the cover system.
    It depends on how they'll implement it, but combat in Max Payne is all about motion; you make the craziest dodging moves, run around enemies and make sure to either kill everyone or be behind something when bullet time runs out. Max kills 'm before they know what's happening. Sitting behind a wall and shooting at enemies sort of defeats the point of that all.
  • NyneDown
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I dont think the setting bothers me as much as his new look. He went from looking like a undercover New York cop to a suicide bomber. That's a huge change in the character's design aesthetics. I know dude is going incognito, but from the neck down...it just feels like a blank slate. I'm probably reading too much into it, but I just dont like the new direction they took the Max Payne character himself.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i think its worth mentioning actually, looking back on it- the max payne 2 model didnt really look like max payne, either from the first game or the max payne 2 cut scenes, apart from the clothes. still, its the max 1 + cutscene max we really recognise, and the new guy just doesnt resemble him. pretty sure its not just the hairdo either
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm guessing it's as accurate as Remedy's interpretation of NYC
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Lampoly wrote: »
    Oh noes!

Since S