Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Paka'Desh WIP (image heavy)

Working on a new game art reel for 2009. Starting out with a race of characters called the Paka'Desh. Here is some of the concept work:

pakadesh.jpg

pakadancer.jpg

pakatusks.jpg

pakadeshealer.jpg

paka_male_final.jpg

^ This final design will be what I am going off of for the 3D game model.

Replies

• Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the first character I've ever tried to seriously create in 3D. It's very much in its initial stages, but I know that this is a crucial stage. I was hoping for some feedback, critiques, especially regarding the topology of the model itself so far. This will be rigged and animated for cycles.

Current Poly count: 1000 tri's - I'd like to shoot for 2000. Will not be normal mapped. Would like to achieve most everything with texture painting and alpha (accessories will be added once I'm happy with the body.)

Also would like to know opinions on proportion - head is big in comparison to the rest of the body, not sure if I want to keep that stylized look. Let me know what you all think, and as always, thank you very much for looking <3

Here we go:
    paka_v1_front.jpg

paka_v1_back.jpg

paka_v1_side.jpg

paka_v1_quarter.jpg
  • flatHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flatHead polycounter lvl 11
    Looking cool already!

Kind of makes me think of the Hindu god Ganesh... I notice you're not going for that theme, though there's some pretty neat stuff one could do with that hindu/psychedelic imagery :)
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, flatHead - I played around with the idea of bringing more of the Hindu element into it, but in the end, I opted for a more tribal, primal theme mixing African and Native American elements. :)
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on the model:

paka_v2_front.jpg

paka_v2_back.jpg

paka_v2_side.jpg

paka_v2_quarter.jpg

Scaled his body up, re-modeled the trunk to default pose, added loops for deformation, and switched up the ears. His hands need some serious attention - let me know what you all think so far! Thanks! :)

Mesh: appx. 1356 tri's
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okeedokee. I'm at 1932 tri's including the spear and accessories. Aaaand I believe I'm just about ready to start UV mapping.

paka_v4_front.jpg

paka_v4_back.jpg

paka_v4_side.jpg

paka_v4_quarter.jpg

Crits on the model very much welcome before I take this to texture!
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, decided to up the poly count to just over 2500, gave him more loops for shape and deformation, fixed the hands, added cuffs and embellishments, and he is now rocking a mohawk headdress.

NOW I'm going in to texture.

paka_v5_front.jpg

paka_v5_quarter.jpg

paka_v5_side.jpg
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Looks like the modeling is coming along, not a big fan of the design but the 3D model has potential. Keep it up!
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands - By design, do you mean the concept art or the style of the model itself? Clarifying might help me pinpoint some issues and get an idea of how to do things better ;)

Thanks!
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laid out the UV's, have the base colors and shadows down. Utilizing three 512 maps for this project.

No Lights:
    Untitled-1.jpg

Day1.jpg
    Quick render ^ (Yay, alpha.)
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day3_remapped.jpg

Took two days and re-mapped the UV's onto 2 512 maps. I'm about 30% through with the texture so far.

Thanks for looking!
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day6.jpg

day6_2.jpg

Texture progress update. Not going as quickly as I'd like, but it's going nonetheless. Will be finishing up the back of the skirt next.

Thanks for looking - Crits and comments always welcome.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    nice stuff man. like the style.. only thing thats getting to me is the pure whiteness of the tusks. and is it me or are his moobs textured in thewrong place? the model looks like they are in the right place but his nipple asnd the shadowing seem to be above the geometry
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Looking really good man ! :)
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent topology, nice texture, how long have you been working on the character?
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum - Thanks for the critique, I'll be sure to yellow up those tusks. I'll see if I can move the shadow down on the moob more - the nipple was put out to the side as a design choice so that it could be seen past the breastplate. I will definitely work with the placement to make it look better, however.

Luke_Starkie - Thanks a lot! =)

Alec3d - Thank you! I've been working on for about a month on and off, when time has permitted - now I wish I'd kept track of the hours. It's going much slower than I would like, but when crunch time at work lets up I'll really start flying on this.

Here's the last update I'll post for a while, any further updates will be posted when I'm way closer to completion:

day7.jpg

Thanks for looking, everyone!
  • renatadayres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work!i just loved it!congrats!!!
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrontSideBack.jpg

Paka_Texture2.jpg

Paka_Texture1.jpg

Final Specs:
    2565 tris
    2 512 Diffuse
    1 512 Alpha

I started this a while back and decided to finish it up! Just need to pose it and I can count it as an asset for my portfolio.

Thank you for looking. Crits/Comments welcome! <3
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pakabeauty.jpg

Finally got around to the base and spear. Work complete! =)
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks very good. My only crit is that some of his accessories look a little intricate for his mahoosive hands :) Also I think maybe the spear could do with having a thicker shaft. He must spend all day eating to maintain that porky belly! (not a crit)
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much for the critiques, woody_294, I'll see what I can do about the scaling! :)
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    My only real crit as of now is that the islands are separated by black. Seeing as this is game res, it should have colour everywhere seeing as that black would become prominent with mipmapping. Also, because of the black your alphas look weird where they fade. The black shows through because it's not 100% black in those areas. It would be immediately improved by at least making those areas (the cuffs are a prime example of this) have the colour continue. You could even take the alphas down to 256^2 and have no problems (which a lot of games do).