or
http://dl.127001.org/movies/spector/

interesting stuff from UT lectures

Replies

• vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah I think this has been posted a while back, some cool interviews. I just wonder what Mr. Spector is is doing at Disney though he should be working on the new Thief or System Shock game :\
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, these are awesome. Seamus Blackley's was my favorite. Gordon Walton's is great as well. Richard Garriot's has some great stories, and is interesting because he is clearly very very smart and has a good sense of design, but somehow has gone off the reservation a bit.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Watched these last time they were posted. Highly recommended listening. Not too much to see but great to listen to.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah the Garriot one was my favorite because both those guys made some of my favorite games as a kid. Whats the most perplexing thing is they talk about what they wanted to do back when the tech was crap and they had no money but they semi-succeeded in achieve it.

But then they start talking about the present and they are both still on the ball, they want to do these amazing things, so it really just perplexing me why they don't do it? Publishers? Consumers? Are the games they want to make simply not wanted anymore?

The whole thign made me smile and was just kind of sad by the end, lol.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Murdoc wrote: »
    Yeah the Garriot one was my favorite because both those guys made some of my favorite games as a kid. Whats the most perplexing thing is they talk about what they wanted to do back when the tech was crap and they had no money but they semi-succeeded in achieve it.

But then they start talking about the present and they are both still on the ball, they want to do these amazing things, so it really just perplexing me why they don't do it? Publishers? Consumers? Are the games they want to make simply not wanted anymore?

The whole thign made me smile and was just kind of sad by the end, lol.

Never got to play tabula rasa. would be interesting to see a follow up post-mortem

wiki quote:
    Richard Garriott announced that he was leaving NCAustin and Tabula Rasa in an open letter to the community, though he now claims this letter was in fact written by NCsoft as a means of forcing him out. This was weeks after his spaceflight in October, and Garriott stated he was inspired by the experience to pursue other interests.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it was a bit disappointing because during the master class thing he was talking about making another mmo that followed the UO model instead of the EQ/WoW model and that's the kind of thing I'm more excited about then any of the other crap.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I read in some recent article that the "pursue other interests" part was only part of NCSoft letter, not Garriott's actual intentions. Yay Ultima 11(12?)
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Great stuff, almost finished the first lecture by Spector, the man speaks some absolute truths.