Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi texture

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
[HP] polycounter lvl 13
yo guys! :) First of all, sorry for the topic name, but I didn't knew what else to call this!

My initial idea, was to make a sci-fi / high tech texture, for a wall or a pillar.
So, i got started modeling the high poly, and ran through the usual workflow until i got to the final piece!

'njoy and drop some some crits!

render_sci_fi_Texture.jpg

sci_fi_textures.jpg

High Poly:
2vjcy83.jpg

Replies

• Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    Cool man, looks pretty solid. That being said something is still off. The piece still feels flat (the orange blocks mainly). Not sure if you'd get a better result from throwing some (more) ao on it or supportive geo.

Also the paint scratches don't make too much sense, maybe make them a lil more subtle. Just a couple of things, hope that helps. Looking good though.

PS: is this a single prop or you planning on expanding this to a whole scene/series?
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i think you should actually model out the six orange squares to get a more interesting silhouette, and you could probably just use the same texture by mapping the new geometry in the same location, for the most part. OR, look into parallax maps.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    i think you should try throwing some words/symbols/lines in black or a contrasting color to the yellow/orange. Those greenish lines aren't doing justice, the color just seems kinda bland. Try playing with some different color concepts. Rated brought up a good point about the chips, there definilty is something not right about em.

Im definitly digging the design overall. The darker metal underneath is looking nice. Just too much yellow and not enough interest in the paint.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    the paint chipping seems way off from what it would actually do. It seems way to heavy chipped along all of the edges, and it shouldn't be chipped along the edges where its meeting another metal piece. Those recessed parts wouldn't receive as much wear as compared to the parts sticking out, they would receive more dirt though. You should also very up the wear on each of those boxes, they all look almost the same and have the same amount of wear.

Those puke green lines inside the orange ones look terrible, the colors just are not working together at all.

Digging the HP though, just need to think more about how things wear and how paint would chip off.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    It seems you could put some dirt in the crevices to give a better representation of the amount of abuse this thing has had in relation to all the missing paint. Speaking of which, there is a bit much wear in the recesses on the orange pieces, but none on the gray. There is really no way it could receive that much wear in those locations. Also think about adding a layer of primer under the paint. You could have two layers of wear which would make this look even better and add more variety to the painted surfaces. That said, it looking really solid and the gray metal is reading rather nicely.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    hey guys, thank you all very much for the feedback! :)
    I will take all those points into consideration when making future stuff like this.
    Rated Rrr wrote: »

PS: is this a single prop or you planning on expanding this to a whole scene/series?

That's actually a very good question. Initially It was just to practice, but yeah, who knows I might make a full scene like a Doom style room or corridor. That would be awesome.
    Although I don't know If that's gonna be possible, not in the near future anyways, since I'm going to relocate soon.

P442, parallax yes! I don't really like to get back to old pieces I made, because I feel like doing it all over again, with the knowledge I learn't from it. but yeah, I might get back to it, and make a quick height map, and use it as parallax. Let's see if I find the time.

Again, thanks for the crits guys! :)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    HP , you still a panisga ? vai buscar !