Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

building!

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
yep, it's a building (wip)
anyone got some ideas how to make it a little more interesting? got a sidewalk, streets and ac units still to add (and finished textures >_>) but dunno if it's really folio content :\

021.jpg

Replies

• P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    think about where the building is, how old is it, what is the purpose of the building. Also, I notice a clear seam from the white part to the red part of the brick on the graffiti side of the building. The placement of the brick texture is good.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far I like the fiti, the box has character =)

Quick points:
    - Lower white half of the brick looks painted. Normally that would fill in the cracks a bit more so the normal wouldn't be as strong as unpainted brick. Might want to play with that and see how it looks.
    - Drain pipe dumping onto a white wall and there aren't any water stains?
    - How modular is this? Could you break up the pieces and make a much larger building?
    - The building doesn't look too deep?
    - Whats with the window cill only on 2 windows?
    - AC unit in a window?

Keep crankin away!
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, what Vig said. It feels too sterile overally.

The normal maps are not quite working really, they look more like bathroom tiles or something. I also see you have some uv stretches here and there, the transition between white and regular brick wall looks especially weird.

Anyways,
    post the reference you're using.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    hey, cheers for the replies guys, awsome points so far. I should mention the current normal map is just the high poly bake, only been messin with the diff so far.
    It's kinda modular atm (kinda >_>), the whole first floor isn't but each face on the 2nd floor and up is tiling. good point on the uv's too buddy, tried stretching the wall a bit after baking the bricks >_<

ref i'm going off of is... (only size i got, it's the one on the left there :P)
    rough-concept-01.jpg

anywas, imma go add those things you mentioned vig, ill try and extend it's depth a bit too, kinda weird just taking a chunk out of it :P
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry to nitpick on this but the graffiti is too small and out of place. When someone goes and paints something like that the point is for it to be pretty big, about a foot overhead and down to the knees. Right now it feels like it was just "placed" by a texture artist and doesnt give the scene life.
    http://www.miamigraffiti.com/flick.php?id=3397975389

Definitly keep working the scene to give it some atmosphere. ie: sidewalk, trashcans, newspaper stands, signs, maybe bicycle, etc.

A fire escape would be a nice touch as well
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Good start Nizza, I agree about the graf. maybe the green and the b/w one larger. Getting some normal map variation on those would be good. Do you have a detail map on this? The bricks and the spec map could do with variation as it looks too uniform in terms of the material. Theres some UVW distortion near the drain pipe, lower window.