Home Technical Talk

Rope lashing

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
Hey I was wondering if anyone had an idea for the best approach to moedeling rope lashings tieing two wooden poles together say for like a bridge? I am using Max 2009 and plan on taking it into Zbrush. I am trying to use splines but they ar ehard to get the shape to adhere to the pole areas I am trying to get to wrap them around. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks..

Replies

• Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I hate to say this, but I normally "cheat" with a Torus Knot, and just play with the results until I get something I like.
  • ironwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i have trouble modeling it I just try to texture it in. Maybe even use some alpha channels.

But i guess you could just draw a spline around the poles and give it thickness
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a job for PathDeform(WSM).
    - Model out a flat piece of rope.
    - Probably just take 1 long cylinder instanced 3 times and use a twist modifier. Don't collapse it you might want to adjust it later, but keep it straight.
    - Create your non-rendering path spline, probably set the verts to smooth instead of corner (select verts, right click, smooth)
    - Take your instance of the rope, apply PathDeform(WSM) its at the top of the list don't use the regular PathDeform modifier it lacks a few options you'll need.
    - Pick the path spline and then click move to path, you might need to change the orientation too so the right axis looks down the path.
    - Adjust your path as you need and go back to the original flat rope to play with your rope, add segments play with the twist ect.
    - If for some reason you scaled the rope object using non-uniform scale you need to reset the scale and transform by going to the hierarchy tab, reset scale & transform (you could do xform but its a modifier and kind of destructive and in this case overkill).
  • J-K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-K polycounter lvl 12
    Personally, I'd clone the poles and then use 'cut' in editable poly to rough out the path you want the rope to take (by cutting through the edges), select the newly made edges and detach as a spline. Once you have the spline, use the Sweep modifier and make sure the pivot placement within the modifier's options is set so that the rope is positioned on the outside of the spline. Doing that with a mixture of building new splines to intertwine around your poles should do the trick.

All the best,
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah no need to hack up your geo just to get a path spline. Use Neil Blevins spline painter script. It lets you paint splines on other objects. It even has settings to mange the knots.

Sweep is great for somethings like drain pipes, trim boarders, I-Beams, but sweep will only push a shape over the whole spline so at best you can use a circle and get a tube.

With PathDeform(WSM) and a solid chunk of modeled geo you can create twisting rope and even create specific details along the rope, something sweep won't get you.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    ah vig- gotta play with that script- path deform is awsome, ive used it for many things similar to rope and would say this would give you the best result, if you are doing both a hig and low poly mesh, you can build sections of low poly rope in the same position then copy the modifier across
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Are there any tutorials on path deforms? I can never get them to work right, they wind up moving my deformed mesh around in weird ways (so its pointing in the wrong direction, etc)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    you could also use lofts, all you need to do is create a good shape, loft it along your spline and then you can twist it in the lofts options

qghostscape: there are two path deforms, one world space and one object space i think
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    Are there any tutorials on path deforms? I can never get them to work right, they wind up moving my deformed mesh around in weird ways (so its pointing in the wrong direction, etc)
    Make sure your pivot is in the a good spot and also reset transform and scale before using PathDeform. You really don't need to use reset Xform that's a kind of destructive and brute force, instead use the reset transform and scale buttons on the hierarchy tab. You can also move only the pivot around by turning on "affect pivot only" on the hierarchy tab also.

LIke Neox said, make sure to use PathDeform(WSM) (top of the list) not PathDeform. It has options to move the geo to the path, and lets you pick the axis it aligns to. Vanilla pathdeform is pretty much a recipe for distaster.

I'll probably write something up next week, it came up at work too when we where talking about vines.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Vig wrote: »
    Make sure your pivot is in the a good spot and also reset transform and scale before using PathDeform. You really don't need to use reset Xform that's a kind of destructive and brute force, instead use the reset transform and scale buttons on the hierarchy tab. You can also move only the pivot around by turning on "affect pivot only" on the hierarchy tab also.

LIke Neox said, make sure to use PathDeform(WSM) (top of the list) not PathDeform. It has options to move the geo to the path, and lets you pick the axis it aligns to. Vanilla pathdeform is pretty much a recipe for distaster.

I'll probably write something up next week, it came up at work too when we where talking about vines.

Yeah after I posted that I read about the the WSM version and the buttons to align it on different axes and move it to the path.

so basically I'm an idiot. That makes some things a lot easier, I've used the regular one and then had to slide the geo around and stuff and its a pain in the ass.

If you have some more advanced techniques and want to write them up that would be dope.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks to everyone for advice. I really, really appreciate the effort. I ended up before all the info creating a spring object and adjusting the settings and manipulating it to get it to fit around the wood poles and what not. It came out well, but I definitely will try the other methodas and try that script to paint the spline onto a surface, that is the most difficult thing for me to do is get a spline to do what I really want it to do... Thanks again EVERYONE!!..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the spline, if the bezier curve handles drive you nuts go to vert mode, select them all, right click and set them to smooth. If you set them to corner they come out sharp. It makes them a little easier to work with. You can also add knots by turning on refine and clicking on the spline. You can also delete knots and it will just remove them from the spline without removing sections.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Here's another technique for making rope/cable in max.

3630835637_435fa52904.jpg

The spline in the front viewport (top of image) is the cross section spline that's lofted along the spline visible on the left. It's then got a twist value of about 35000 to make it twist around the spline.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    pretty much what i said, but thanks for the image :)
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All these methods are fine I suppose, but none of them seem practical to me.

A true 3D rope like that would require way too many polygons, and you would waste too much performance on a minor element of the scene. Unless the rope is 80% of the image.

I would just make a good tiling normal map and occlusion map, and then apply that to a plain thickened spline. Since max 2008 splines UV perfectly so it should work easily and quickly and efficiently. If you want to go a step further you could use a displacement map, and have that calculate during render time only, but that's also an unnecessary resource hog.

The ladies know what I'm talking about.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's kind of the point of making high poly rope or cable so you can bake it down. You could have a coil of rope on the deck of the ship that gets baked to a cone or some other shape that's not so easy to apply a tile rope texture too.

Baking it twice could have some undesired results also?

If you're concerned about performance you can:
    -Set the object to display as a bounding box when you're not working on it (right click, object properties). While you're in there make sure to turn off backface culling.

- Or keep the rope on a hidden layer. Freezing it will sometimes help performance also.

- You can also use a Optimize/proOptimize modifier on it with a really insane level of compression then toggle it off when baking (click the light bulb in the modifier list).

- You can also use Xrefs with a low poly proxy mesh (probably more stable in 2010 but haven't tried it out).

Also you could get good UV's on splines previously to 2008. Just need to check Generate Mapping Coords in the rendering rollout for the spline. Maybe you're talking about mapping a non spline object with the new spline unwarp feature?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You dont need to bake it twice, just make a simple tiling normal map from a small section of rope, spline out your lowpoly and you're done. That is of course assuming that this rope is hanging accross your scene. If all you need is a long hanging rope, there is no reason the model the entire thing in HP.

If you're wraping the rope around and object, and that will be baked into the object, you would want to go the highpoly route.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which is exactly what he wants, EQ - He's wanting to make where the rope is tied off to a pole.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar wrote: »
    Which is exactly what he wants, EQ - He's wanting to make where the rope is tied off to a pole.

Someone else wanting to do the same thing, but in a different manner may end up reading this thread, so its good to cover multiple ways to do things. =)
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True, true. Just wasn't sure if you had gotten in a rush or something. :P