Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Walther P99, first game model

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
beartraps polycounter lvl 8
UPDATE: well im done for now. gonna work on some more stuff, ill probly shapren up this guy in photoshop when im getting ready to put my portfolio together:

1489 tris
Picture2-3.png
Picture5-5.png
Picture7-2.png
Picture8-6.png

Replies

• warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff no crits
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Model and normals look great.
    I think the diffuse and specular are rather ineffective. Why do you have all of that cloudy shading detail in the spec? I think baking ambient occlusion would make a lot more sense
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I overlayed ambient occlusion in the color but i think I may have taken it off for the spec. Im definitly gonna work more on the spec, maybe increase the levels to give it more contrast. I also want to do more to the color map to really set the metal off.

HELP: I eventually want to do a turntable rotation but when i rotate the gun the textures go crazy. Is this because I haven't baked the texture?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I'd love to see the wireframe of the lowpoly if that's possible :D Good stuff!
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good, but tone down the gloss and increase the specular intensity

e:/ and whats with that smoothing Oo
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just updated, also here is the reference for the side I am showing (cept no titanium slide on mine):

http://www.gun-world.net/german/walther/p99/titanium.jpg
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated front page. Finished for now!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    beartraps wrote: »
    I overlayed ambient occlusion in the color but i think I may have taken it off for the spec. Im definitly gonna work more on the spec, maybe increase the levels to give it more contrast. I also want to do more to the color map to really set the metal off.

HELP: I eventually want to do a turntable rotation but when i rotate the gun the textures go crazy. Is this because I haven't baked the texture?

thats mayas history in the mesh getting a bit confussssed, delete the history and or combine the mesh with a cube to fix.

could we see some different shots with no diffuse and a flat specular, i think you have some normal issues in there
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea there are a few normal issues that ive been combating for weeks, i ended up just saying screw it to move on to more stuff but heres the problem areas of the normals:
    Picture8-1.png
    Picture7.png
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi man!
    If you dont mind putting up a few elements for download (high and low of the problematic areas) we could investigate!
    It should be rather simple to fix
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No prob. Hopefully someone can figure it out, it seems to just be a baking problem in maya. Ive remodeled, reUVed, rebaked many times with the same results. Since its only a problem in like 2 areas i ended up painting over on and just leaving the other:
    Normalsgun.jpg
    Normals.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    might need to increase the cage size when you're baking to fix that wtf area? Other areas might just need more geo to fix teh smoothing probs, or you could try making sure 'unlock normals' has been pressed, fixes up some buggy shading in maya sometimes... not sure why tho :\
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You may also want to break the edges or harden the normals on the areas having a 90degrees angle to them...
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nizza- tried that already with the wtf area. I tried everything I could think of even adding more geometry and it still does it. It truly is a WTF. Tried unlock normals as well and didnt seem to help, I dont see how i could need more geomtry on that slide area as it is a flat area, and on the other side it looks fine.

pior- Yeah i hardened the edges at 90 degrees and broke them apart in the UV map, definitly helped define some edges and fixe some things but it didnt work for those 2 problem areas. Oh well.

Thanks for the help!
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for the double post but im trying to render in Maya with depth map shadows and getting awful pixilated results. Tried with shadow res set at 4096 and it was still like this:
    Picture3-3.png

here are my light settings
    Picture1-12.png
    Picture3-5.png
    and render settings
    Picture4-6.png

And of course any crits welcome!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    ao on the grip bumps look a little too strong for me. i can't believe the bumps run right on the edges of that grove on the handle, so ugly like that /shrugs
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    you put the walther stamping on the grip but not on the front of the slide? it looks a little blank up there without it :D nice gun though.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE! Great to see someone else working on similar things as me.

Have you thought about putting it into an engine, like marmoset?

Also I had a lot more luck with Object space normal maps. Especially if you're going to be using unique coordinates.

I guess the bumps are kind of weird on the handle because you used photoshop to put them in? I made little spheres in Max and placed them on the handle physically, and just baked them out.

PROTIP: I'm not sure how other people feel about this, but I don't like to bake off a round piece into a octagonal low poly. It gives a weird artifact (example: the barrel on yours has little triangles at each vertex, where the circle didn't quite fit the octagon). Instead I make the high poly conform to whatever the low will be. So I would make the high poly 11 sided tube and then make the low poly 11 sided as well. I would be interested in knowing what other people think of this technique.

I would use Xnormal to bake everything.

There are some really cool things going on with that spec map.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dolemite, I think i may try baking out the spheres in 3d like u said instead of hand painting them in photoshop. I really dont know what the fuck i was thinking painting them, lol. I want to see this in an engine but im on a mac tho, so ill probly have to run paralells in order to run marmoset toolbag. Do Object space normal maps work in game? I remember hearing theyre not for objects that move around in space..

@Sir-knight- Walther logo wasnt on the end of slide in reference for this model, plus i like the streaks :D
  • tarickTDS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First Game Model ... :poly115: nice job!
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Object space works in Marmoset. It depends on what you are modeling and in what way it will be used.

I think if it's not going to deform (like on a character) it's fine. That's what I'm told anyway :)
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ran Parallels to use Marmoset and i love it. I will never use Maya to render again, what a world of difference:
    Picture4-7.png
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey cool stuff! Yeh I think if you modeled more out on future models it would pay off. Painting in normals I would only do for the "walther" logo and things like that.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    The texture looks a lot better in marmo, but the slide metal looks far too cloudy, and i'd smooth it out some more.

The ao on the grip bumps look too dark and make them almost look recessed, so i'd tone that down too.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toned down the AO, im just gonna put this to the side for now and do something new.
    Picture1-15.png

i look forward to ur AK tutorial racer
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bokaja polycounter lvl 16
    Looks good - nicely executed :)