Home General Discussion

zomgz! alien reboot!

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
shotgun polycounter lvl 19
ALIEN-thumb-350x291-18708.jpg

http://scifiwire.com/2009/05/alien-reboot-a-prequel-is.php

aliens 1-2 were awesomest, and AvP 2 had some seriously cool moments. sigoney weaver wont play obviously so i hope they will find someone else to fill in the 'human POV' character, which really led the aliens films thus far. cross your fingers!

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Thank God. Get it back in the directors hands that knew how to make a scary movie.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    This can only be a bad thing. Why do they feel the need to keep going back to these things? If I thought that this meant a return to the values of the original then that would be fantastic, but there's no way that this will be anything other than a CGI fest with very little tension or character. Ridley Scott isn't directing, but thankfully neither is his hack-of-a-brother Tony. I've not heard of Carl Rinsch, and there's precious little on his IMDB. I think he's another graduate of commercial directing (not that there's anything wrong with that) so I guess we wait and see...
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apparently their remaking total recall too along with probably tonnes of other classics.

I actually don't mind in a way, if a remake is kak it only highlights how great the original was, prequels and sequels are a lot more tricky as they can sour the original films story - the star wars, terminator and aliens franchise are prime examples of inconsistent quality.

Depends too how long ago the film was made.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Ugh... If I remember when it came out in theaters, it's not old enough to be a "classic" >.<
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I'm pretty apprehensive about this, but will wait for a trailer to see if it has potential.
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    I think Aliens may have been the first movie to actually freak me out... granted I was like 6, but still >_>

Hope this one does the original justice
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Too soon for a reboot... Hollywood, never harvest your cash crop until its taller then you are.

With that said, I might like it...
  • dehebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reboots make me happy and very nervous. happy if an IP I like is gonna get another film, nervous in case they just disappoint.
    recent ones have been awesome though, Batman, Star Trek etc. Superman a bit ok and a bit erk at the same time. Though sooner one is gonna end up being shit, hope it ain't Alien(s).

Seems reboots are the new trilogy.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You're all very idealistic this morning. I prefer to keep my precious, precious cynicism close and assume that this will be the abomination that it inevitably will be.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    this is gonna be wailing über-bork.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    I'm sorry but I just can't get excited about news like this anymore. I would have been much happier if they announced something new like what James Cameron did with Avatar.

Nonetheless I hope they don't screw it up like that train wreck Terminator Salvation!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    worst idea ever!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Silly comment about something I haven't seen yet!!!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I will remain cautiously optimistic about this announcement. Being a massive Aliens fan, I am naturally thrilled at the prospect of a new entry in the series. At the same time, the low standard that the last three films in the series set has me worried. (Aliens Resurrection, AvP1, and AvP2)

I am encouraged by the Scotts' involvement. The first movie had masterful suspsense, atmosphere, and surprisingly solid acting from a relatively unknown cast. And knowing Paul Anderson is not going to be involved pretty much insures that it will be better than either of the AvP movies. I don't know about this new director. I would like to know a little more about what he has worked on in the past, and what manner of style he is going to bring to the project.

The thing that has me most psyched is knowing that this movie will be a prequel to the original "Alien." I think that is a good choice. If they had set it in the future, after the original Aliens films storyline, there would be the expectation that Ripley would need to come into play at some point. Ripley's story ended in Alien 3, and should have never been revisited. Going for a timeframe that is essentially a blank slate for the series' chronology opens up far more potential for the storytelling.