Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Industrial Scene - CryEngine 2 [WIP]

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
|Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, here's WIP image of my second CE2 scene. The original idea was to record a video and the area was a bit bigger but i decided to cut it and work on some still images instead. (Want to have it finished and move onto something else).

I don't have a lot of time to work on it lately so i decided to post a wip.

The trees and truck are placeholders (gsc game world assets), the skybox is from Crysis (also placeholder), rest of the assets is Custom and made by me. (maybe except one dirt decal that also comes from Crysis, not sure).

6hm2v6.jpg

Replies

• Dodgeas3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great! Love the lighting... hard to believe its realtime. Chernobyl for the win!

Maybe sky could have more blue color, since your shadow color is blueish.
  • engelik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice enviroment and nice lighting =)
    great work so far!
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah this is looking good so far. The lighting is very well done. That particular angle looks good, so not much to critique. Could we get some more angles?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    that looks awesome, I really like what you got so far. I'd really like to get around to learning how to use cryengine eventually. I like how it renders

ps..@ your tag:

"Billy you know something? What is it....?"
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Digging the stalkerish look! :)

I don't agree with the lighting comments tho, it seems very bland. I would personaly give it a slight yellow / orange touch to the sun light, but that really comes down to a matter of personal taste.
    But nice modeling dude, and especially (and it's the best on the whole scene), awesome textures! Post some sheets! ;)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    yeah man looking good so far! would be interesting to see some of your assets in max etc flat shaded :) pimp it yo!
    I dig the lighting btw..

edit, just noticed that oil slick spilled on the ground, seems kinda dull, could use some tlc
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Lighting is looking really nice, love the damage you have on the brick walls on both sides of the scene, very nice
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, setting this as the wallpaper on my netbook.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Wires please :) Let's see HOW you've made it.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Beautiful scene. The only thing that seems a tad unnatural are the carton boxes or something very similar (lower part of the picture, in the middle). The shadow under it should be a bit darker I think. Maybe it´s just the angle, but right now it gives the impression that it´s very flat, while the shadow obviously says that it´s deformed and the ends are bit above the ground. But except that little detail - great job!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yeah that is pretty dope man
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Really nice work. I especially like the shot you are showing. It's a total tease and makes you want to see more! :)
  • lanfeng1982
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lanfeng1982 polycounter lvl 13
    nice work!!!! But I'd like to see some of your other details
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the washed-out look. Got more images?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Brilliant work buddy~~
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Looking mighty good! Im already craving for more pictures. One thing though, left side of the pic looks kinda empty now, im refering to the area after the wall/fence, maybe more trees to cover the are so your eyes dont get distracted there, or maybe a road leading to the entrance with a car. duuno, somethinf to balance out the pic
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Very Stalker-ish indeed. My only complaint would be the bloom on the white pipes and white support. It seems a bit overdone compared to the other white or near-white surfaces in the scene. If that were toned down a smidge, it'd look better imo.

Otherwise it's a badass little scene :)
  • lashkoalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool scene, looking sharp.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I love the scene, great job. I think you can further enhance the lighting to produce a more apocalyptic atmosphere, like Fallout 3 but that's just personal taste. Looking great!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i disagree with vassgos point, i think it reads correctly, and provides a great focus line down the perspective, would be a shame to tone it down, IMO
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice, love the debris and stuff.. really makes the scene. Got any other camera angles?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I really like this scene, it's great!

Looking at the intensity of the light on the tubes, the sky should have more intensity if you are going to use one different or the same (this one is very good).

And looking at one of the "fences" on the left (don't know the exact name in english sorry), there's something weird because shadows are casted only on the crates but not on the ground.

keep it up!
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dodgeas3d wrote: »
    This looks great! Love the lighting... hard to believe its realtime. Chernobyl for the win!

Maybe sky could have more blue color, since your shadow color is blueish.

Thanks, agree on the sky. This is not based on chernobyl however. But yeah i can see where you found some resemblance. :)
    engelik wrote: »
    nice enviroment and nice lighting =)
    great work so far!

Thanks
    Flewda wrote: »
    Yeah this is looking good so far. The lighting is very well done. That particular angle looks good, so not much to critique. Could we get some more angles?

I will post some more angles along with next update somewhere in future :)
    EricV wrote: »
    that looks awesome, I really like what you got so far. I'd really like to get around to learning how to use cryengine eventually. I like how it renders

ps..@ your tag:

"Billy you know something? What is it....?"

"I ain't got time to bleed"
    [HP] wrote: »
    Digging the stalkerish look! :)

I don't agree with the lighting comments tho, it seems very bland. I would personaly give it a slight yellow / orange touch to the sun light, but that really comes down to a matter of personal taste.
    But nice modeling dude, and especially (and it's the best on the whole scene), awesome textures! Post some sheets! ;)

My portuguese friend has spoken. Yes, personal taste indeed :) Posting some stuff along with this post.
    yeah man looking good so far! would be interesting to see some of your assets in max etc flat shaded :) pimp it yo!
    I dig the lighting btw..

edit, just noticed that oil slick spilled on the ground, seems kinda dull, could use some tlc

Thats some random dirt, but you gave me some nice idea now :)
    Will pimp some indeed dawg, yo. :poly122:
    Pope Adam wrote: »
    GOOD!!!

:)
    Autocon wrote: »
    Lighting is looking really nice, love the damage you have on the brick walls on both sides of the scene, very nice

:poly121:
    flaagan wrote: »
    Awesome, setting this as the wallpaper on my netbook.

:poly136:
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Wires please :) Let's see HOW you've made it.

10 bucks a wire kthx
    ghost-d wrote: »
    Beautiful scene. The only thing that seems a tad unnatural are the carton boxes or something very similar (lower part of the picture, in the middle). The shadow under it should be a bit darker I think. Maybe it´s just the angle, but right now it gives the impression that it´s very flat, while the shadow obviously says that it´s deformed and the ends are bit above the ground. But except that little detail - great job!

Ah yes, since CE2 would ignore object as small when it came to casting shadows i had to fake it, and it was set up for different lighting :P And yeah, that'll be fixed. Thanks for a heads-up.
    vahl wrote: »
    yeah that is pretty dope man

Really nice work. I especially like the shot you are showing. It's a total tease and makes you want to see more! :)

Season 2 starts Nov 2011
    nice work!!!! But I'd like to see some of your other details

rasmus wrote: »
    Love the washed-out look. Got more images?

Posting just some props this time, will add more angles along with next update.
    renderhjs wrote: »
    moar images :D

:shifty:
    Minotaur0 wrote: »
    Brilliant work buddy~~

.Core
    c0ldhands wrote: »
    Looking mighty good! Im already craving for more pictures. One thing though, left side of the pic looks kinda empty now, im refering to the area after the wall/fence, maybe more trees to cover the are so your eyes dont get distracted there, or maybe a road leading to the entrance with a car. duuno, somethinf to balance out the pic

Yep, its the part i changed a little while before i posted this and yeah its a bit empty now. There's railroad going along the road and you will be able to see this later on.
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    SIZZLY

my nizzly
    Vassago wrote: »
    Very Stalker-ish indeed. My only complaint would be the bloom on the white pipes and white support. It seems a bit overdone compared to the other white or near-white surfaces in the scene. If that were toned down a smidge, it'd look better imo.

Otherwise it's a badass little scene :)

Thats the kind of metal that 'blooms' like this (+ i like the effect) and what SHEPEIRO said.
    lashkoalex wrote: »
    Cool scene, looking sharp.

kaburan wrote: »
    I love the scene, great job. I think you can further enhance the lighting to produce a more apocalyptic atmosphere, like Fallout 3 but that's just personal taste. Looking great!

I'm not really going after 'totally abandonned and no-hope-for-humanity-oh-look-i-found-a-glowing-artifact-lets-sell-it-at-the-trader' kind of look. It's something in between, I'm roughly basing this on a Polish factory that's 50/50 abandonned/fullyoperational.
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    i disagree with vassgos point, i think it reads correctly, and provides a great focus line down the perspective, would be a shame to tone it down, IMO

:poly121:
    AnimeAngel wrote: »
    very nice, love the debris and stuff.. really makes the scene. Got any other camera angles?

With next update :poly124:
    Blaizer wrote: »
    I really like this scene, it's great!

Looking at the intensity of the light on the tubes, the sky should have more intensity if you are going to use one different or the same (this one is very good).

And looking at one of the "fences" on the left (don't know the exact name in english sorry), there's something weird because shadows are casted only on the crates but not on the ground.

keep it up!

I don't see any problems with shadows in there, maybe it makes a weird illusion but everything is correct in there :). Ah, and yeah the skybox is temporary.

=======================================================

Thanks for all the replies guys. Here are some random images n shit. Most of the textures i'm using are simple tiling materials. The have a lot of segments instanced ingame, its not one big mesh by no means :)

2d79a3k.jpg
    16kq1c5.jpg
    28c0xhk.jpg
    3348caq.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    moar asspats... looks nice man, realistic as has been said a gajillion times. Some of those props looks super high poly but guess that's kinda standard now (esp for crysis :P)...

also waiting for more angles :poly142:
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking dope mate :D

I like the use of decals, and grittyness you added among the endpoint areas on the surface corners.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Considering the angle you will see some of those props, you have a few that are to high for the poly count i think~~

The background, the environment beyond the scene looks a bit empty. Some more trees me thinks?
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moar asspats... looks nice man, realistic as has been said a gajillion times. Some of those props looks super high poly but guess that's kinda standard now (esp for crysis :P)...

also waiting for more angles :poly142:

Yeah, it runs fast (duh) and a lot of stuff is instanced so its not much of an issue.
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    Looking dope mate :D

I like the use of decals, and grittyness you added among the endpoint areas on the surface corners.

Yeah, i like the way you can just model them and give them 'decal' tag on material options and they work as they should. The sad thing is that the regular, in-editor decal tool is rather funky :S
    whats_true wrote: »
    Considering the angle you will see some of those props, you have a few that are to high for the poly count i think~~

The background, the environment beyond the scene looks a bit empty. Some more trees me thinks?

Yeah, this stuff is still WIP.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    You really got a good feeling for modeling realistic stuff, with realistic textures man, which is a nice thing for an artist!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
  • Painbringer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Painbringer polycounter lvl 17
    You've done a lot of great quality stuff here Buddy. Give us some moar wireframes please
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome, love the use of decals on the corner of the building!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great looking scene! I like how you've used instances to keep this scene manageable yet it's not over repetitive. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Are these meshes for your in-game mesh?
  • Bones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bones polycounter lvl 15
    yep, very cool stuff. btw is SSAO activated?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    just thought I'd drop it here:
    some month's ago when I spoke at the FMX in Stuttgart to a guy from Crytek I asked him if he knew about the movie scene competition you entered before and if he knew that impressive stuff was done using their engine and the sandbox editor.
    Clearly he was not yet aware of it (maybe by now he is) but thanks to guys like you the Crytek engine shows very nicely that not everything has to be unreal Engine.
    You should by chance drop them an email just to be sure that they know about your alien2 scene and this stuff worthy a notion if I may say so ;)

keep it up, and
    moooar screens :D
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    renderhjs, after the results came out, this competition got lot's of attention by not only game art communities, but also gamming communities, the top5 winners were even mentioned in websites like kotaku, and Crytek's own modding portal, CryMod.
    So, yeah, eventually I believe they all heard about it!

CryEngine2 has proven to be a very versatile engine, and It has been proven not only by the SFAM competition but many other artists. I remember this StarCraft scene that was posted here a few weeks ago, it was just mind blowing!
    ( http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=62634&highlight=StarCraft )

And of course, personally, I highly prefer CE2 rendering to UE3. :)
  • shadows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadows polycounter lvl 18
    Overall this is a really nice looking scene, but your polygon distribution isn't that great.

First you have the electrical panel, a really optimized model maybe even to much optimization was done to it. Could cause some artifacts depending on the lighting. But that's hard to tell just from those screenshots.
    Second you have the oil/gas tanks, they have a ton of polygons that do nothing to the silhouette of the model and could easily be removed and wouldn't change the look of the model at all.
    Then you have the roof pieces of corrugated metal, lots of polygons spent there but yet you use decals to do the damage of the bricks. You could easily redistribute those polygons around to make the silhouette of the building much interesting to look at. Especially since those details are at eye level and would be much more noticeable.

If some of those bits I mentioned are still WIP and you were already planning on changing them, then don't mind me.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys, appreaciate it.

i'm not really planning on cutting down polycount of these models honestly, i plan on reusing them later on and i'm also not planning to release this as a playable location of any sort.

This was planned as a material for video anyway but i don't have time to pull this into this direction any more so just a couple of stills is what i'm looking for.

So there is no sense in downgrading these models whatsover because thats not the point. I want to keep it at a reasonable frame rate but its not my main goal.

Anyways if i wanted it to run faster i would add a couple of LODs here and there :)

Worth noting is that i'm doing this for the pure fun of doing so since I'm not really looking for game art work atm. You could say this is kind of a playground for testing various things in the engine which is pretty nice to work with :). I'm not really baking any high polies and/or using incredible assets with unique texture sheets. I might do something like this at some point, though.

Vista broke my pc down, i was forced to revert to xp x64 (thanks god), i lost some data but (ofcourse) had a copy of this scene, not sure where i will go back to it and actually finish it though.

@shadows - i agree on the poly distribution but this also applies to what i mentioned above. The problem with CE2 and micro details (like broken bricks or thinner elements) is that the sky shadows will either ignore them or leave a lit margin near the edge or whatever, it looks bad. The only way to have nicer &smoother details on these kind of surfaces is by stamping a decal on them. The decals i used on the building on the right are quite quickly done infact, iwas thinking about actually baking few decals based off high poly model of the wall brick texture (duh). Might try that, could be fun.

@renderhjs - thanks a lot & helder replied pretty much perfectly :)

@bones - yep it is, its tuned down however.

Oh and Adam thanks for your valuable comments, really appreaciate it. :shifty:
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Are you look for feedback? You posted art @ a game art forum using a game technology, so feedback regarding the triangle count is going to come up. :P

Adding LOD's is one thing, but efficient and effective modeling is another.

The models are nice, the scene is great, I just think the modeling isn't very efficient and the same look could have been achieved if it were AND you'd have yourself a solid game environment. Double-whammy.

I used to do the same thing; Spend triangles as needed to make awesome 3D art, but in the end I wasn't showing people I could work well within a game environment. I think you could have done EVERYTHING you wanted to do and get a decent video game environment out of it.
  • Joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe
    Looks great, any individual building renders or wires?