Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #1 - Carlo Carfora

Ok so I thought I'd post up my progress so far and get the ball rolling :)

eotech_1.jpg
eotech_2.jpg
eotech_wire_1.jpg
eotech_wire_2.jpg

Turnaround (.mov file)

OBJ file

Grabbed the refs from EQ's topic post, and I've done the outside part of the EOtech. Took me a bit of looking at the ref to work out how it looks, never modelled one before.

So far its been about 2-3 hours. Already seen how I could have saved some time, should have started with the holes and modelled from the inside out and I think I'd also have a cleaner mesh. I usually do a quick pass over to optimise the mesh when I move onto another stage.

Got a little pinch on the corner, will have to figure out how to get rid of it, probably just a case of adding more cuts.

I hope this post is in the right place and has enough info, I made sure to rread the rules a few times before posting!

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start :)
    Looks solid so far. THis is what this workshop is all about. Diferent ways of making the same thing. For example, i wouldnt have used cilinders with so many segments. i usually use 8.
    But when i start mine we will see :)
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Nice case, looks sharp. Funny bitmap should mention the magical number 8, I usually use it too but found myself using a much greater number so far on this project. Will have to try and be efficient and use 8 for circular shapes on the rest of it. (not that it matters, but I heard once that 8 is the fewest necessary for a smooth circle in subdividing.)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as # of sides, i have a few rules i tend to follow.

Depending on size, i will use 8, 12, 16, or 24. I generally never use anyting over 24 unless its for really fine detailing, like knotches around a knob/screw.

Now the reasons i use those numbers specifically, is that they're all good, even, easily divisable numbers. When you get to the lowpoly stages its really nice to just take your high, remove some loops and stick with the 8 or 12, or if you need to, you can easily cut 12 to 6, 16 to 8, 24 to 12, etc.

There, thats my anal retentive/OCD tip of the day. =)
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I can definately see the strength in starting with cylinders that have defined numbers. I actually cut into the geometry to create the circles using splines as a guide to make sure they were circular.

If I'm making a low poly it's going to come back and bite me lol.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I was away for the weekend (Leeds is a nice place!) and couldn't work on this until now.

eotech_4.jpg

eotech_5.jpg

OBJ: Here
    Modelled up the panel today, used floaters for the text and the buttons are also floating along with those little button hoods. I know thats not how it is on the actual model but I'm trying to start and work faster and resourceful.

I'm pleased with the progress so far, there isn't too much left to do looking at the refs so hopefully can be done with it tomorrow.

Just want to say thanks to Mop for the text tutorial and EQ for posting up his OBJ, helped me see how much you can get away with using floaters and other little shortcuts.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, time to call this one done :) Here's some renders and an OBJ to download if anyone is interested in looking at it some more.

eotech_final_1.jpg

eotech_final_2.jpg

eotech_final_3.jpg

eotech_final_4.jpg

eotech_final_5.jpg

OBJ: Here

Learnt a few important things with this, so it's definately helped me out with my high poly skills. Using nice even numbers for the circles is probably the biggest one as well as seeing how much easier floaters can make details.

There are a few things I could/should have done in a neater fashion after looking at others but I'm pretty confident this would bake down to a low poly quite nicely. I might even try it this weekend just to be sure.

Looking forward to the next workshop!