Battlefield Heroes BETA keys

Replies

• pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • jaalto
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    installed also :).. need to play later today. Now to catch some fish. yay!
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Theres no support for chrome :(
    I tried to install it on IE but after I click "Install", nothing happens :/

Had a look at some videos, doesnt look that interesting anyway... oh well.
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    installing too :D
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I got a beta key, then it said something about waiting for a slot to open up. Am I doing something wrong here, how have you guys installed it?
  • dehebo
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    woot. installing
  • jaalto
    Offline / Send Message
    target renegade,

Did you activate the key in http://beta.battlefield-heroes.com ?
  • RickFX
    game wont start for me, i start the thing, and cliuck whatever play now inside the game and when it loads i just get a black screen that does nothing...didnt find a fix yet.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    merecraft wrote: »
    target renegade,

Did you activate the key in http://beta.battlefield-heroes.com ?

Thanks, thats done it.
  • Smirnoffka
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Game is actually a whole lot of fun. I'm not very good, been quite a while since I actually played any games. I always just hang out for the plane to fly around in :)

Edit: And I couldnt resist spending my money to buy some battle credits to pimp up my man!
  • 00Zero
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm interested, but I've heard the ping is pretty atrocious if you're outside the US. Any reports from you foreign types?
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    after 2 hours of playing, I'd say that :

the art direction is really cool ! I'm not found of the TPS choice (at least for the infantry), though. Also, the animations and general physics look a bit unfinished and not really "blended" together. When you come from TF2, it's really obvious :) But hey it's a beta ^^.
  • 00Zero
    i havent been able to find a server with people yet.

also, anyone else getting the problem with tree alphas as you get nearer to them?

06/01/09 forum post says something about them taking down PTE (public test environment). i supposed maybe thats why i cant connect to anything. oh well.
  • jaalto
    Offline / Send Message
    for me its working
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm getting killed a lot and live in the UK, could be that i'm no good, but i have played hundreds of hours of BF2 and i never die that badly. it reminds me of BF2 a lot, i'll have to play some more before i can decide on it.
  • jaalto
    Offline / Send Message
    TR, Yeah.. its quite hard to kill anyone. Feels like it needs 100 rounds to head before anything happens. Trying with new weapons now.

Loving the art style tho :).
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    wtb non full screen version w-t-f. No options to make it windowed :( Quake Live > BFHeros!

played a few games, seems ok, but seems like its trying too hard to be TF2 while missing all the major parts.

The leveling up and getting points thing is really cool, but i wasnt having much, if any fun at all trying to kill guys who could kill me in 2 hits. Did much better in tanks since its even playing fields then, but any time it was vs a guy on foot id die.
  • Mark Dygert
    merecraft wrote: »
    TR, Yeah.. its quite hard to kill anyone. Feels like it needs 100 rounds to head before anything happens. Trying with new weapons now.

Loving the art style tho :).
    I think that's where the buy better weapons comes into play?
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    I think that's where the buy better weapons comes into play?

I believe that's only a temporary solution.

I got my key recently through Fileplanet. No trouble at all. As easy as it was for anyone to obtain, you may as well assume the game is open to everyone who take this time to fill out a Fileplanet registration (I didn't use mine anyway), and EA account, and BF Heroes account, and then tie the accounts together, and then shake your fist in anger. How they can't be the same is nearly as ridiculous as having to create an EA account to play an online game on my XBox Live account.

To put it bluntly, the gameplay is disappointing.

The best example. While in a tank, I took aim at a soldier who was on a rooftop. I shot 4 direct hits at the player who, with each shot, flew straight into the air and landed safety on the rooftop. After that failed attempt to KILL A SOLDIER WITH A TANK!!!...I exited the vehicle with full health, took one rifle shot from the soldier, and died.

The maps provided are small, making aircraft mostly useless.

The soldier run (bounce) very slowly across the levels.

Weapons are weak. Requires entire clips, or more, to kill anyone. By that time, anyone who has upgraded ($$$) is done with you. Seems expected for most BF games to have nonexistent weapon balancing. Perhaps this is justified by it still remaining in Beta.

From a distance, it's difficult to determine if a player is friend or foe. With all the technology available to games now...how/why is this still an issue?

The levels look great. Simple, artistic, painterly textures.

All of this is noticeable from the videos that have been released to the public. It's just not felt until you're in control.

If you have TF2 (and you should already), you'll be disappointed. If you still only want a free web-based game, get Quake Live...as this forces you to install the Punkbuster virus anyway. Or just wait for BF1943, which actually looks well made.

Note: I'll likely continue playing after going through all the effort. But, it's for the free art reference. Nice job to all artists on the project.
  • [Deleted User]
    I haven't played long enough to make a real judgment yet, but if you don't treat it as a realistic game it doesn't seem altogether hard to kill someone. For the first level you're basically fucking useless, but once you can get an ability you can start doing things. For instance with soldier (or whatever the not-heavy, not-spy class is), once you get flaming bullets (which you should ASAP), you can set people on fire with that, switch to shotgun and finish them off pretty quickly. It seems like weapon / ability combinations are what you have to use to get kills reliably. It's ironic that you compare it to TF2 because the game isn't really similar at all, not just because of the map style but also because of this.

The buyable weapons that I looked at just seem like specialized versions of the standard - with range / clip / ROF adjustments with weaknesses rather than just "kill shit faster."

One thing I definitely do not like is that abilities can be leveled - so a level 15's flaming bullets are more flaming than mine - which basically undermines the balance in a top-heavy way... this is something that Valve gets that EA apparently doesn't. I also don't like that you can't look anywhere but straight ahead or straight back with the the staff car, which is too bad because it handles pretty well - you're just kinda blinded. Same with the plane, plus it feels very claustrophobic because the plane takes up like 1/3rd of the screen. Tanks feel very good handling and shooting wise. As for balance, I think they're too weak when I'm in them, but too strong when I'm not, so I don't know.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Kaskad wrote: »
    you can set people on fire with that, switch to shotgun and finish them off pretty quickly. It seems like weapon / ability combinations are what you have to use to get kills reliably. It's ironic that you compare it to TF2 because the game isn't really similar at all, not just because of the map style but also because of this.

I find the Pyro's Flamethrower/Shotgun combination just as effective when used exactly as you described.
  • [Deleted User]
    Yeah for some classes that's true, some not (heavy, medic, soulja, engie, and non-jarate sniper).
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    after playing a bit more, discovering the Missions to get more points, and generally getting better i started getting sucked in... not because it was fun, but because i wanted to level :)

moderately fun games, but 80% of them were 1:4 blue:red balanced
  • s0id3
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome! I love the battlefield series!
  • 00Zero
    do you guys want to make some nazi (errmmm....nationals) characters and have a few matches?
  • [Deleted User]
    Is there a server browser, or is it only the auto thing? Because it might be hard to end up in the same one if it's just the auto
  • 00Zero
    its auto, but you can add the IDs of friends, so maybe.....i dotn know. i dont know why the fuck they have a matchmaking system. its so flawed and 2nd rate its not even funny anymore. its a pc game, why would they dumb it down like that?
  • [Deleted User]
    I do like matchmaking but not exclusively
  • s0id3
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    00Zero wrote: »
    its auto, but you can add the IDs of friends, so maybe.....i dotn know. i dont know why the fuck they have a matchmaking system. its so flawed and 2nd rate its not even funny anymore. its a pc game, why would they dumb it down like that?
    Maybe it's just for the beta?
  • 00Zero
    ugh, this game is so broken. first i couldnt connect to a game, now it seems like i get a black screen when i try to play (as does everybody else who tries to play).
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    anyone having a problem where your login stops working? and it forgets you registered an email?

i fucking HATE EA's website login / gamertag associatiation / etc system. It is horrible, every time I try to set it up for skate, it fails. Spore? Nightmare, such a pain, with the 3-4 sites it sends you to when you log in or forget your info. argh!
  • 00Zero
    totally, for some reason you need to make at least like 3 different accounts just to make one account to play a stinkin game. this EA bullshit needs to stop now.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I played this game some hours, and i deleted it instantly...
  • MachineMinded
    In my experience BF:H finds more balanced games than QuakeLive!(which keeps on putting me in games with such pros that live and breathe Quake 3 for 24 hours a day 7 days a week), but it's definitely not as much fun. As a soldier try long range SMG + normal shotgun combo, it's a real killer(sniping snipers with SMG is fun).

I don't know what's the situation right now(I last played a couple of weeks ago), but spawn camping was running rampart back then and it really sucked to get killed right after spawning(in maps where there were no flags in the main spawns). Also the playerbase seemed to be geared towards teenager a-holes, so there's a lot of pure retards on the loose.

Then there was the IMBA problem with commandos getting better stealth and poisoned knives. Even if you saw them at the edge of their cloack you're not going to survive the poison. Basically your one-hit-kill that you should try to avoid having in casual games...

Of course all of this might be outdated by now, since I haven't played lately.
  • 00Zero
    i just played for a bit after they finally fixed the server issues. it was a real letdown. i was hping this game would be fun when i saw it a year or so ago. its totally unbalanced. 5 or 6 shots from a tank to kill a guy, but if youre on foot, some douchebag who paid 5 bucks for his upgraded weapon/items can kill you with 3 bullets. even if your aim is terrific and you shoot a constant stream of bullets at somebody, he wont die for at least 5-6 seconds, which gives everybody else the opportunity to kill you with their upgrades.
  • s0id3
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    00Zero wrote: »
    i just played for a bit after they finally fixed the server issues. it was a real letdown. i was hping this game would be fun when i saw it a year or so ago. its totally unbalanced. 5 or 6 shots from a tank to kill a guy, but if youre on foot, some douchebag who paid 5 bucks for his upgraded weapon/items can kill you with 3 bullets. even if your aim is terrific and you shoot a constant stream of bullets at somebody, he wont die for at least 5-6 seconds, which gives everybody else the opportunity to kill you with their upgrades.

I'm hoping BF1943 will be much better...
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    it's been almost a year since I last played and it was bottled awesome, what's this I hear about paying for guns? I always heard DICE say only outfits from microtransactions.
  • Rox
    There is a server browser but you can't seem to use it now. So I'm guessing the big, nice, casual Play Now button will stay right where it is. You know, for the more casual people they're obviously trying to draw in with this. But there is some kind of list that's empty now so I assume that's a manual list for us... "hardcore" players.

As for buying guns, I only played once, briefly, but I saw there's a bunch of kinds of points you can earn by playing the game. I'm thinking maybe new guns will be unlocked with those points. Actually, hold on...

[edit] Confirmed. There's three kinds of points. Hero Points, which are like attribute points for your character I think, Valor Points which are used to unlock new weapons, emotes and "widgets" which are sort of small perks, and finally Battle Funds which cannot be earned in game and are only used for unlocking cosmetic items. Only Battle Funds can be bought with real money. Oh wait, Battle Funds are also used to buy some perks. But everything bought with Battle Funds, as well as all weapon upgrades, have a time limit. The only new guns I can afford now will last seven days before I have to rebuy them. The clothing items last one month. [/edit]
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Rox wrote: »
    Oh wait, Battle Funds are also used to buy some perks. But everything bought with Battle Funds, as well as all weapon upgrades, have a time limit. The only new guns I can afford now will last seven days before I have to rebuy them. The clothing items last one month.

BOOO!
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    The items you purchase with battlefunds also seem to have a time limit on them as well, so you would only actually have the item for 1 month. Not sure if that is part of the beta, or a final design... but sounds like a waste, and a smart way to keep the game running through tricking people to pay monthly membership fees ala MMOs :)

Even the guns you buy only last a week, so you have to keep playing to keep your good guns.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    yea sux about BF's they should add an area where you buy stuff and can keep it so they can keep making new items...?! is this a bad move? The game makes me laugh my ass off, fun stuff.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    so far there are no guns for real money. just xp boosts and fancy dresses!
    i hope that they wont add new guns - its great the way it is.
  • greenj2
    Tried playing as a Commando class speced for stealth/poison dagger/short range pistol combat and found it wonderfully frustrating. Switched him back to rifles/piercing shot and he's not too bad. :D

Soldier class seems godly at high levels, grenade spam, health pack and flaming bullets turn them into a whirlwind of self-healing death.

I'm hoping the ability unlocking system doesn't simply end with the player unlocking ALL abilities for their class by a certain level. Rather, you can never have all skills for a class but you have to pick a certain combination that creates multiple different gameplay styles for each class.
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    uninstalling ! That was... interesting.