Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Portfo Page

Hey everybody...

Trying to get me a job, so I just redid my portfolio page....

http://www.NicholaiKropat.com

Id love to hear any C&C. I don't have a lot of content yet, but I'm working on that whenever I can. I went to school for animation, but turns out that's not really what I want to do. $70k well spent lol. Anyway, if anybody has any suggestions for the page, my work, resume or ideas for future work, please share!

Thanks in advance

-Nick Kropat

Replies

• Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Folio is looking great, very simple and clean design. I really like the layout of most things and how you can easily get back to your main page with a simple click. You have some really nice work in there, high poly stuff is pretty crazy on that robot.

As for crits I would say have the ability to just view a single image so its easy for an employer to save it off your website and show it around if need be. You would then want your name and contact info (ie email) on all of these images.

As for your space scene everything is way to clean and new, you might not have even textured most of that stuff as it looks like they could just be mat colors. Also on the space ship part of your scene where its orange and has this white half sphere in it is a Feng Zu concept. Make sure you get premission before you use other peoples concept art and give them credit where credit is due.

You might also want to take about the part on the page where you said you "I wanted to do something unique with this one" as its not really unique when using someone elses concept art.

A final thing I have never been a fan of the 3 texture maps all place on top of eachother and cut away so you only get to see 1/3 of the map. From everything I have heard from empolyers they like to see a big difuse, they can tell how well normals and spec work based on your model so if there smaller then the difuse its not that big of a deal.

Other then that is looking really solid. Very nice work.
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I really like the Star Trek ship interior, looks like a really fun project to work on. Some amazing hi poly work too.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Ctrl+A Delete... lol

Just playin', looks good. one thing change the name of your title for the site under <head> like Nick's kicking portfolio! or something... ie
    <head>
    <title>Nick's kicking portfolio!</title>
    </head>
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Your work is bloody brilliant, but I hate the layout. I think a very barebones display of all your pieces would better support their complexity. Something similar to eraserhead's website http://www.peperaart.com/

In general I would reorder it this way.
    The high poly stuff first - this stuff alone should land you a job anywhere.
    The star trek levels
    The collapsed bridge
    Your old stuff. Do you have larger screens of these?

I would get rid of the colt. It doesn't come close in quality to your other stuff.
  • carlo_c
    That robot looks crazy, would love to see a video of it moving if you've linked everything together.
  • Mechadus
    Hey guys - thats for the comments so far!

@ Autocon - great point, that scene is loosely based on a Feng Zu concept. I emailed him months ago when I started that and he was fine with me using it, but I did neglect to give him credit. I agree the Starship is way too clean, but Im going for Star Trek (pre-new movie) style, where everything always looks brand new. Good idea about the downloadable images tho - I had not thought of that.

@ Jet_Pilot - If you had any idea how many times Ive done that already..... lol

@ ArtsyFartsy - Thanks for the compliments, and I hope your right! eraserhead's website is very nice, but the reason I didnt go that route is just because I dont think my work stands up by itself like his does (yet). Every time I see his work I want to A) crawl under a rock and die, and B) tripple my efforts to improve my work. Thanks for the idea about the order too - Im definately going to play with that and see how it looks.

@ Carlo_C - Its going to happen someday! Ive put that model on the back burner for now till I get a job, but Im in the process of making a controll mesh I can use... Right now its impossible to animate just because the scene lags so bad, but when I finally get somehting rendered out, Ill be sure to share with the Polycount community!

-N
  • Mark Dygert
    I really like it, nice work, nice layout, awesome stuff.
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    wow man! i'd LOVE to see that rawbot animated!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    perfect execution of a portfolio dude, well done. and from the quality of your work id say you wont have trouble getting in.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the Polaroid photo gimmick distracts from the real quality of your works. In other words the website presentation quality does not match the content quality of your works in my opinion. I was also a bit confused at first how to navigate since you grouped projects into a page and I often expected that I would see only the specific item.

I am neither a fan of the typo and orange/grey colors (70's to me) - I do think often that a simple html sans serif font (10 pix or so)
    http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=501&page=1&nb_ppp_old=50&text=Type+your+text+here&nb_ppp=50&psize=xs&classt=pop
    with a utter simplistic design (just thumbnails without any fancy border or effects - linking to bigger images) works best.
    You are not promoting yourself as a web designer or screendesigner so don't play with it unless you think you have talent for it.

The robot is very awesome design and modeling wise (big thumbs up for that), so are the other modeling related projects. Textures on the other hand like the destruction test scene or the gun cant compete with your models - the colors are often to dark and have to less coloring in them, all in all they often seem dull.

interesting background you have there with the rendering farm stuff - I am sure that will come in handy for unique and high detail stuff. I think that rendering and high poly modeling knowledge you have will come in handy because more and more games these days demand almost rendering quality assets.

good luck
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    mispellings..
    http://www.nicholaikropat.com/STARSHIP.html

uniquie

http://www.nicholaikropat.com/ABOUT.html

"appreciated by games across the world" (should be gamers)

looks swell.. :)

Also think about renaming the titles in your pages..

WBTEMP_CONTACT, WEBTMP2, etc aren't good names for your pages..

Was anything in a game engine or all 'rendered'...