Home Technical Talk

PS CS2 + Cintiq + Vista64 = madness?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
So, there appear to be some big issues with running certain versions of Photoshop on Vista (moreso on 64bit). Add in the fact I'm using a Cintiq, and there's fun stuff going on all the time.

Random lags, random laggg...crash. I think I have nailed down the problems with lag between tablet and PS, but still I have tons of crashing. Maybe I should dig into my pocketbook and upgrade? There doesn't seem to be anything that peaks my interest in CS3 or CS4. In fact most of the things they look like they'll just get in my way, or slow the program down.

Doesn anyone know much about PS Elements? Is it so stripped down that it'd be useless for texturing/pixeling? I don't do a lot of photography stuff, so there's a big part of PS that I eagerly neglect.

Anyone know if there are specific versions of PS to avoid when it comes to Vista (esp 64bit version)?

:thumbup:

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    maybe avoid vista for now? - windows 7 comes with a XP virtual machine which should avoid such trouble
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right.... I'll just buy a new operating system a year after I just got one. Not gonna happen anytime soon. This isn't a mac. -,-
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Xenobond, I know it might sound fishy, but do you really need vista? I am putting together a new box these days and I am putting xp32 in there. I too had waaaaay to many issues with a vista64 machine over last year, it's just not worth it. And I have no expectations for 7 either (recent Windows have always been problematic on release, I don't see how that one will be any different).

One thing you can do tho is to try and disable all ink features. They even sometimes come back out of nowhere (after a win update, happened to me this week.). They are somewhat of an extra nuisance layer between the OS and your tablet so it might be wise to turn this off.

Also. I noticed than CS2 legit seems to have stability issues. So if your computer is fast enough, I would say go for CS3 (it's a good enough version), or, maybe look for CS2 Portable. It's not an official release, but it is very stable/stripped down. If you have a legit PS i don't see anything wrong with having a 'special' copy running.

I feel your pain! OSes and Poweruser programs recently turned very unstable. Maya2009 is a crash whore, CS4 Win just doesnt work ... madness. Certified video cards? My ass!
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CS4 64-bit on 64-bit vista works fine with my intuos 3. \

You've gotta permanently disable all the 'tablet pc' and 'ink' stuff that MS wants to shove down your throat, then update your wacom drivers to the latest.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey I'm not much help, but I have vista 64 bit; I have two 24" monitors and a Cintiq all running with photoshops cs3 mudbox2009 bodypaint, 3ds Max etc. Don't have any issues with stuff crashing or problems really. Did you try reformatting your HD and reinstalling vista. I know when things get really bad if I do this it will resolve my issues. But I also know how much of a pain it is to do, especially when you have many plugins for max and stuff thats annoying to reinstall.

Just thought I would let you know that it is possible to have vista 64 bit working nicely with all these apps and hardware.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigh...

Looks like putting XP on here and dual booting to it will be my short term answer. Far less expensive to get another OEM license of XP than to go through with upgrading my Photoshorp. -,-

I'd use my previous XP disc, but it's currently being used on my wife's PC. Can't take that one, she's gotta be able to play CoH.

I checked to see if the tablet/ink garbage was somehow running again, but it wasn't. Even been running different times with aero/vista basic/win classic and all sorts of compatibility settings set/checked. I'll still notice some hang-ups when pulling down menus, random simple things that seemed to be what it was doing before. :S
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Might be stating the obvioius, but have you tried plugging the Cintiq into a different port? I haven't used one, but from my experience with my intuos3 and Painter X, I had lag and jitter issues with my Wacom in Painter X until I plugged the Wacom directly into the USB ports on the back of the tower, where before it was plugged into a USB desktop hub.

And I've been hearing about Vista users getting discounts on Win7 upon its release. I think if you bought Vista within the past year you'll get a discount for upgrading-- I'd look into that more, if I were you. Ithought about doing that myself, but my biggest concern is that Win7 might turn out just as bad as Vista has...
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reinstalled the win7 release client on my partition that had the beta on it. put cs2 and cintiq on there and it seems to be working fine. Guess I'll put mudbox and max on here too and just use this for making stuff for the time being.

I hope that we get a discount for being early adopters of vista (or suckers as some people think). -,-