Home General Discussion

Scary Ass Robots

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
In case you haven't catched this, Gizmodo has a freaky robot thread(article?) on their website. Clicky!

I seriously can't decide which is the scariet of them all, but something about Simroid (dentist helper) just scares the living shit out of me.

Which do you think will become the first to enslave humanity?

Replies

• Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I think the robot kid is definitely the most terrifying.. People are gonna hesitate to blow his head off too...
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! that robot kid was really creepy, the dentist training robot is pretty freaky too. It's probably just because I grew up watching movies where robots try to kill people, but I wonder if I'll ever be comfortable around things like this.

Do you guys think these robots are scary because they don't imitate humans well enough? or because they are too close to human like already? What if there was a robot that was so human like that we couldn't tell the difference between it and a human? would we still be scared of it?
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    It's uncanny valley.

And the robot teacher was interesting. Hearing a black man asking if anyone wants their kids taught by a 'damn robot'. The cycle of prejudice continues. [/HalfSerious-Irony] In 50 years, the robots will be saying the same about us!
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't really think any of them were genuinely creepy except for the child robot. Holy shit! It looks like a kid in a suit :( Whats crazy is that one actually learns and everything.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Those are adorable! I want that cat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbFFs4DHWys"]Aaaaaaaagh![/ame] This one hit me square in the uncanny valley the first couple times I watched it, though. Almost had to turn it off. Sort of used to it now, which is interesting. Apparently you can override the revulsion through familiarity. I imagine kids in the future won't mind this stuff at all.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i wouldnt think twice about using a twelve gauge to blow it's CPU clean off

edit: I think the really creepy thing about the kid one is its sort of like watching a mentally retarded person. some of the responses are there, but also some key ones are missing. Its evokes a similar reaction of semi-recognition, but somethings wrong
  • [Deleted User]
    acc wrote: »
    This one hit me square in the uncanny valley the first couple times I watched it, though. Almost had to turn it off. Sort of used to it now, which is interesting. Apparently you can override the revulsion through familiarity. I imagine kids in the future won't mind this stuff at all.
    Giving it some sunglasses would help. Christ, those eyes
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    dont be hatin the kid robot.. its awesome..

Imagine one day your Ms wants to have children.. buy her one of those.. then when you get divorced the settlement is so much easier.. why? its a freakin robot..